PDA

View Full Version : intake advice

qwk325
12-23-2002, 01:49 PM
I am currently looking for intakes for my ride, i cant descide which one I want , I like the turner intake and also the active autoworks one can u guys give me a head up on them both if u guys have one these on your cars whats the better buy for the buck. thanks*th-up*

djcontra
12-23-2002, 02:08 PM
Alot of people have been saying quite positive things about the Active Autowerks intake and the ECIS intake kits.
Both i believe have heat shields, which would be a good idea to have. I didn't see one in the turner motorsports picture, but I might have been looking at the wrong pic too.

Other people, including myself have made our own intake kits out of bent piping, and sheetmetal for the heat shield. It takes a few hours of work to perfect it and make it look nice, and they work great for a fraction of the cost. If you want to keep your bimmer looking OEM however, definately go with one of the two big names I've mentioned. I think AA's intake looks nicer, but to each his own right? =)

qwk325
12-23-2002, 04:44 PM
do u have any pics djcontra of the home made intake thanks, and thanx for the reply.

djcontra
12-23-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by qwk325
do u have any pics djcontra of the home made intake thanks, and thanx for the reply.

naw i dont have any of my own, but here's one MKGino made for his e36.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=42674

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=42676

Also...

DayDream M3 made this one for his car. It doesn't have a heatshield because it's ported down into the front bumper for cold air down there.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=44747

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=44748

///M3Boy28
12-24-2002, 12:11 AM
Go for ECIS, thats what im getting soon, its adding 10hp and 6 lbs of torque for me. so my ///m3 will be pushing 250 hp with 242 pounds of torque. SO they are great, plus its really good on prices, or you can make it homemade. Whatever you prefer cause it's your car.

SickFinga
12-24-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by ///M3Boy28
Go for ECIS, thats what im getting soon, its adding 10hp and 6 lbs of torque for me. so my ///m3 will be pushing 250 hp with 242 pounds of torque. SO they are great, plus its really good on prices, or you can make it homemade. Whatever you prefer cause it's your car.

Man you are DREAMING!!! Get back to earth. Be glad to get at least 1hp from the intake

///M3Boy28
12-25-2002, 03:59 PM
they did a dyno run with it on a 96 m3 and thats what they got, why would they lie?

SickFinga
12-25-2002, 05:26 PM
they did a dyno run with it on a 96 m3 and thats what they got, why would they lie?

So you believe everything you see????

Lil'Smoothie
12-25-2002, 06:08 PM
you cant just add horsepower to your total, the intake could add 3 hp for example at 7000 rpm's, your peak horsepower could be 240 at 6000 rpms, at 7000 rpms you may only have 220 horse....
same with chips, they dont add 15 hp thruout the rev band. I wish!

And places always lie about stuff being dyno tested, its all BS, my catback system is supposed to give me +15hp, im pretty sure I'd notice that!

Daydream///M3
12-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Im gonna put a DINAN CAI on my M3 when I get it.....
Its true that I made a CAI for my Supercharged 318is but the thing most people dont realize is that the CAI that go into the bumper will disrupt airflow... you need a software upgrade to run those ones... so DINAN's CAI must be complemented with the Stage 2 software for greater airflow.

The heatshields make more sense without reprogramming your software... pretty posititve gains. ECIS and AA are pretty similar so Ive heard... ECIS being the cheaper of the two.

Randys buddy apparently makes CAI like DINANS out of carbon fiber and hes pretty reasonable in price (Randy said about 300-350) compared to DINAN's 750 CAI. Then again.. you probably need to reprogram the software. I figure something Mark D'Silva can do.

My choices.........
DINAN
Active Autowerks
ECIS

SickFinga
12-25-2002, 11:42 PM
AA uses ECIS CAI, they just put their logo on it.

Gamite
12-26-2002, 01:02 AM
usually, when they say you've gained 10 hp, it means that's your gross hp, it doesnt necessarily mean its been added to your peak hp.

I know I didnt word this right, but I hope you understand what I mean.

///M3Boy28
12-26-2002, 02:38 AM
Geez, thanks for gaining up on me guys. I just thought it was that way, i did't really think about it, but now i understand, thanks for the info, ill make sure i look into shit more, oh and sickfinga i don't believe everything i see. Come down, i was just asking questions, and i didnt know, so don't snap at me alright.

thanks guys

Gamite
12-26-2002, 04:10 PM
Geez, thanks for gaining up on me guys. I just thought it was that way, i did't really think about it, but now i understand, thanks for the info, ill make sure i look into shit more, oh and sickfinga i don't believe everything i see. Come down, i was just asking questions, and i didnt know, so don't snap at me alright.

thanks guys

Didnt mean to gang up on you, I just realized that I just repeated what lil smoothie said.

qwk325
12-30-2002, 11:57 PM
thanx fot the replies guys i reaaly appreciate it, i wanted to do one like daydream's just scared if it will suck up water , i know i wont be through any puddles but !!!!

thinair
12-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Well, I have/had the motronix one, I actually liked it a lot. It's Dinan style (tube down behind the bumper). It's noticable, more with throttle response then with actual power, and like most intakes it sounds awesome above 5000rpm.

That said most intakes will give you like 2-4hp at peak, maybe a little more in the mid range, but don't expect miracles. Quite a few companies are know to dyno CAI/exhaust/chip all at the same time (Dinan) which is where they may be getting 10hp from.

Also, my next intake will be a Jim Conforti intake, I know they're a little pricey, but the quality and fit is awesome, but the ITG filter is better then the K&N one.