PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

Jase
12-23-2002, 03:13 AM
Can you bolt a larger head on a 1.8 m10. I have heard of people doing stuff like that to boost hp. . I figured out all that is wrong with my last engine is the head. Anyone know of the cost of of a head rebuild( including cam). I have heard of people "stroking" a engine. Is any of this possible on a 1.8?.
Just a bunch of questions to help me decide on weather to keep the car off the road and save for a biggerengine or do a bit here and there and have something to drive

piotrek636
12-23-2002, 03:32 AM
I dont even have a bimmer yet, so I cant help you there, however

these guys have superchargers for 318's, that is one way to gain some HP on a 318 motor,

http://www.fastlinemotorsport.com/BMWParts/parts.html

its something I looked in to if I ended up with a 318 and wanted to keep it and mod it later.

Jase
12-23-2002, 03:35 AM
thanks..but if I was going to spend 3 g on a supercharger and another 2G rebuilding the engine so it will be able to handle it. I will just drop in a bigger engine. thanks for the reply though

Jase
12-23-2002, 03:37 AM
I have even considered bastardizing my bimmer with a large 6 or 8..non bmw engine. ......remember guys I am just considering it ...........ok. So nobody start getting upset. I just remember cost of parts availability of the engines and decent hp. It is easy to find a 200 hp domestic. or a 250hp 8 cyl:confused:

Slowered318
12-23-2002, 04:48 AM
just drop in a LT1 and who cares if people don't like it.. you'll be dusting everyone on this board for less money then some peoples rims

Eurostyle
12-23-2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I have even considered bastardizing my bimmer with a large 6 or 8..non bmw engine. ......remember guys I am just considering it ...........ok. So nobody start getting upset. I just remember cost of parts availability of the engines and decent hp. It is easy to find a 200 hp domestic. or a 250hp 8 cyl:confused:

Cheapest way for you to get good power is to get 325 parts car and wap engines... Its not a big job (compared to making a domestic engine work in a bimmer!) so it not worth bothering with the small 4...

SpoolinS6
12-23-2002, 04:56 AM
well i have the answer for u
ur car is a 318 right drop a 2L of a 2002 on it and get the valves done and put a small gasket to increase the compression and put a cam with higher lobes for better breating of the motor!
then just add a set of pistons and rings!

MY PLAN IS BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW!
thats what im doing to my 316 but mines going to the extreme im going with a 316 block and droping on it a 318 head with racing cam and the head with port and polish and race carburators! thats my motor right there and in the future a set of racing 2002 tii pistons!

Jase
12-23-2002, 05:01 AM
or just drop in a corvette motor lol

Slowered318
12-23-2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318
just drop in a LT1 and who cares if people don't like it.. you'll be dusting everyone on this board for less money then some peoples rims

that's what i'm talking about.. but it's gonna take one hell of a mechanic to do the job right

Slowered318
12-23-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by M_powered
well i have the answer for u
ur car is a 318 right drop a 2L of a 2002 on it and get the valves done and put a small gasket to increase the compression and put a cam with higher lobes for better breating of the motor!
then just add a set of pistons and rings!

MY PLAN IS BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW!
thats what im doing to my 316 but mines going to the extreme im going with a 316 block and droping on it a 318 head with racing cam and the head with port and polish and race carburators! thats my motor right there and in the future a set of racing 2002 tii pistons!

any cool tricks for the M42 engine?

Jase
12-23-2002, 05:30 AM
most domestic engines are not that hard to put in. I called my brother-in-law asked him if he could make ma engine mounts and help me tie the frame. I have a friend with alt1 out of a 94 Z28 with a 6 speed gearbox. The only problem would be driveshaft and rear end:)

Jon@Bimmersport
12-23-2002, 03:19 PM
put a supra tt engine in, if you can get the tires to hook...you'll be hitting high 12s stock..no doubt! and the supra engines are bullet proof! you can make like 600hp on STOCK internals!