PDA

View Full Version : e30 exhaust upgrade

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 02:06 AM
i am going for an after market exhaust since i have to get a new one as it is for my 89' 325i, i was just wondering though if i had to get a certain type or brand, because i hear that the e36 needs certain back pressure from the cat ot it loses hp, is this true with the e30s as well or can i just rip off my old cat and muffler and just throw on another muffler (no catalytic converter at all, heh, we dont have air care on Vancouver Island), or should i just go for a cat-back system... or am i just messed up and been misimformed from the start??? anyone ???? lease PM me, thanks guys

-core

M50E30
12-23-2002, 02:10 AM
What are you looking for? Loud, quiet, or something better than stock? There has to be some performance shops around you to help you pick. Also putting on a performance header will change the sound big time (the only con for the header is $$$).

Personally I like a louder than stock Brullen.

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 02:13 AM
i wanted it louder and nicer sounding than stock, sound like it has lots of power, dont want it to sound like some cheap peice of crap honda after market muffler, and yes i planned on getting new header too, what kind should i be going for, power change, will i notice an improvement in the power? money isnt really a problem, so whats good? and what am i lookin at for price?

-core

M50E30
12-23-2002, 02:21 AM
I have a Genie header (about 7hp gain) on my M50 '95 2.5L 325i motor. There has to be something available for the older M20 2.5L. The header on my car goes in the $1,400 range, then another $950 for my custom stainless steel exhaust system.

I suggest that if you want a really loud system you get rid of the cat and straight pipe the bastard. If it is too loud just add a resonator.

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 02:22 AM
and i wont lose any hp without a cat?

M50E30
12-23-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by LowBMW325i
and i wont lose any hp without a cat?

If you do you won't feel it. It is just like adding an intake. A couple of hp gained/lost won't be felt.

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 02:43 AM
ok fine, i hope your right 'cause im tryin it, now all i need is a new header ad clutch, oh and to install my springs and bodykit, and wheels...oh and paint it, ... so clutch would be good, my bro said to go for a sport clutch, and said the power difference would be very noticable, so what would i go for in this instance

M50E30
12-23-2002, 03:00 AM
ok fine, i hope your right 'cause im tryin it, now all i need is a new header ad clutch, oh and to install my springs and bodykit, and wheels...oh and paint it, ... so clutch would be good, my bro said to go for a sport clutch, and said the power difference would be very noticable, so what would i go for in this instance

Well i'm running a cat and a Dynomax muffler and it is pretty loud. If your old clutch is still good just use it till it goes or starts to slip alot. My tranny is starting to rattle...so when it goes then I will replace it. No point of spending money if it isn't broke. But save the coin for when it decides to go tho!

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 03:02 AM
well actually my clutch is gone, thats why im upgraading, my car is off the road and been like that for about 5 months now (got no license so i took it off the rd and the clutch went at the same time so i didnt mind, hense i have been doin it up untill i get my license back , which is another 2 months) so whats a good clutch and what am i lookin at for it, i was thinkin of goin for one off ebay it the go for about 300us , is that good??/?

M50E30
12-23-2002, 03:08 AM
Don't go any higher than a stage 2 clutch. empowerd had a stage 5 and he had cramps in is ass cheek after driving! LOL! :D Check out a Clutchmaster Stage 2 (should be in the price range of $350-$450 CAD).

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 03:09 AM
where would i find one of those???

M50E30
12-23-2002, 03:10 AM
where would i find one of those???

Go to any performance shop. Since you are somewhat close to the States you could probably pick one up cheap. Do some homework ya bum! LOL! Just kidding! :D

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 03:12 AM
but thats just it, i am a bum hence im askin on here so i dont have to do research heheh, yes close to the states, but to lazy to get stuff from there hehe, but we got lordco, think they can get that stuff?

Indecisive
12-23-2002, 07:40 PM
but thats just it, i am a bum hence im askin on here so i dont have to do research heheh, yes close to the states, but to lazy to get stuff from there hehe, but we got lordco, think they can get that stuff?

hey, are you buying from Victoria or are you comming out to vancouver to get your stuff? cuz if you're comming out to vancouver I wanna know wut shop you went to and if they got you a good price cuz I'm thinking about exhaust and intake and stuff too.

LowBMW325i
12-23-2002, 08:02 PM
im goin for all my stuff in Victoria dude, and ebay, sorry dont goto Van that much for car stuff, never needed too, we got it all here...intake im gettin off ebay along with exhaust, clutch however i might be gettin from Lordco, we'll see, anyways thanks for your help m50e30, the stage 2 clutch is a go now, and should have my car all together in about 2 months now... considering throwing in an M50 engine myself though, how was that? expensive? where did ya get the engine, PM me if you got an advice on it, thanks again guys...

-core

Indecisive
12-23-2002, 08:07 PM
damn, aight man.

*goes to richmond to look for some non ricer shops*