PDA

View Full Version : Power Washer?

thinair
12-20-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm about to get my dad a power washer for xmas. How bad are they to use on the e34's, keeping in mind he won't pop the hood and wash the engine with it?

I have a habit of buying my dad presents that I end up using more then him, I wonder why.......

And no, I don't plan on using it on my car, although I bet it'll do wonders for taking mud out of the frame on my truck.

Kal
12-20-2002, 11:39 PM
why won't u use the power washer on ur car??

i have one and i use it on my car all the time

thinair
12-20-2002, 11:56 PM
Because I'm cool like that.....actually just because I prefer rinsing it with a regular 80psi hose instead of a 1600psi pressure washer. I'm buying it for my dad mostly to get the salt and stuff off the cars, and for me to use when I cake my truck in mud.

djcontra
12-23-2002, 05:51 PM
The powerwasher should be fine on the car, but just dont let him get too close or it'll tear the paint right off the metal!
I can remove parts of the sidewalk in front of my house with the powerwasher I have.

Other than the saftey concerns, it works great. You can wash the car in half the time as I could with the hose, and the results are far better. Now i just wish there was a speedy way of waxing cars nicely =)

The powerwasher is great for cleaning rims as well, in fact it's EXCELLENT for cleaning rims, and is a godsend for people with multispoke rims like Jeremy has on his e30.

I clean my engine bay with my powerwasher twice a year, but keep in mind if you do happen to do that, dont plan on going anywhere with the car until it fully dries. I always end up getting some water in my ignition coil area and i have to let it dry out before i get spark in all 6 of my cylinders.

M50E30
12-23-2002, 06:57 PM
If you talk to a good body shop they will cringe when you ask about pressure washers (notice the nasty swirl marks after awhile). Just simple garden hose with no nossle on it and a good wash mitt will do the job just fine.

But for thinair's truck...the heavy mud caked on after bombing around the trails is ideal.

thinair
12-23-2002, 07:01 PM
plus the finish on my mom's car already sucks, the clear coat is peeling for some reason behind the left rear door. It'll need a paint job one day anyway.

M50E30
12-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Finish the paint on mom's car for her! LOL! You can save her some money on prep work! :D J/K!