PDA

View Full Version : Painted Tail Lights

Indecisive
12-20-2002, 06:56 PM
This is my first post here and I was wonder.....

did any of your do this?

I have a E30('88) 325i and I was thinking about painting the amber part of the tail lights red.

got any tips, suggestions or warnings?

and I'm also wondering about pushed bumpers. I have the steel bumper and was wondering if anybody has any pics of theirs pushed in because that supposedly looks really good and I'm interested.

Pedro91'318i
12-22-2002, 09:12 PM
I painted the amber part red and looks pretty good for a 5 dollar job. cant tell unless your close to it. its pretty easy too:cool:

Indecisive
12-22-2002, 11:41 PM
do you have any tips or warnings?

MP328
12-23-2002, 12:07 AM
read these two threads might find something interesting

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5020&highlight=painted+taillight

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4045&highlight=painted+taillight

Indecisive
12-23-2002, 12:08 AM
aight, thanks

EDIT: instead of buying that expensive paint that they're talking about would using fairly good quality paint w/ a clear coat finish protect it enough from fading??

Euro_E30
12-25-2002, 08:24 PM
i have an 87 325is....i tinted my rear tailights all red too... just go to michaels and ask for stain glass spray paint... they have a bunch of colors and it only cost like 10 bucks*th-up*

Indecisive
12-25-2002, 09:55 PM
is there any particular shade of red I should get??

Gamite
12-25-2002, 09:58 PM
OK, well here's the deal, first, you cant just use normal paint, cuz it has to be transparent

second, make sure the stuff you get LASTS, and is weather proof.

cuz I know of some people who get stuff that fades, and you end up paying more cuz you keep having to repaint them.

I agree that folia tec is way too expensive, but the finish came out really nice, and it hasnt faded yet.

Indecisive
12-26-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Gamite
OK, well here's the deal, first, you cant just use normal paint, cuz it has to be transparent

second, make sure the stuff you get LASTS, and is weather proof.

cuz I know of some people who get stuff that fades, and you end up paying more cuz you keep having to repaint them.

I agree that folia tec is way too expensive, but the finish came out really nice, and it hasnt faded yet.

aight. well there's a performance shop just outside my house that specializes in european cars so when they open again after the christmas break I'll go ask wut paint I should get.

bmwm5lover
12-28-2002, 08:52 PM
Let me know how it turns out and the $$$. I might get one too. what i did was i got my blinker bulb=s red, and now when it flashes, its red thats flashing, but the actual lights is amber, and looks totallky cool!

openwheel
12-29-2002, 03:48 AM
I did my tailights on my old E30 with Testors model paint - Ruby Red Metallic and It turned out great The only thing I would warn you of is too much paint.. very thin coats and an all weather clear coat.

I could see no amber through the seams and looks very clean.

P.S. I tried it on my E36 and the results are not so good. Too much paint this time.

Good Luck

Manuel325i
12-30-2002, 12:22 AM
I followed this web page and they turned out perfect.
http://myspambucket.home.attbi.com/e30/diy/red-tails/index.html

Indecisive
12-30-2002, 04:29 PM
my dad is concerned that it won't flash amber. can anybody confirm if it does or doesn't? I want it to flash amber like the new Jettas and Passats(red lens but flashes amber) so if it doesn't flash amber what do I do?

Gamite
12-30-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Indecisive
my dad is concerned that it won't flash amber. can anybody confirm if it does or doesn't? I want it to flash amber like the new Jettas and Passats(red lens but flashes amber) so if it doesn't flash amber what do I do? \

LOTS of american cars dont have amber rear signals at all, nothing to worry bout. eg Caveliers.

Indecisive
12-31-2002, 12:04 AM
heh no no no you dont understand. I WANT it to flash amber(or amberish). I think that looks good. red signal that flashes amber. i like it.

bmwm5lover
12-31-2002, 12:10 AM
how about amber signal that flashes red? Thats how mine is at the moment~

Indecisive
12-31-2002, 12:11 AM
muhahaha..perfect. so I don't have to worry about like getting amber bulbs or anything?

sweetness......:D time to go find the paint.

bmwm5lover
12-31-2002, 12:33 AM
Glad you like my idea!:D

Indecisive
12-31-2002, 12:39 AM
but I like the red flashing amber better..hehe.

Manuel325i
12-31-2002, 01:58 AM
The way i see it you have 3 options: 1. Leave it as is and you have a turn signal that flashes amber. 2. Paint the taillight red but don't add the second coat so it will still flash "amberish" as you would say it. 3. Paint the taillight all red with the second coat and have it flash somewhat orange-red but not quite like the brake light color. The only problem with option 2 is that part of the taillight, won't blend in with the rest of the taillight because its too light without that second coat. So its pretty much all up to you. To paint or not to paint?