PDA

View Full Version : Rims have black dots that wont come off. PLEASE ADVISE

EugeneBMW
03-01-2007, 11:59 PM
After driving my M5 wihtout a wash for about 3 months, I found that there are black dots all over my front rims (mostly on the dish) that wont come off. What can I do or should I just re-finish them?.

shimajer
03-02-2007, 12:00 AM
same! anyone help us out

David
03-02-2007, 04:53 PM
They could be embedded brake dust or tar. In either case, clean your wheels very thoroughly with car wash soap and a sponge. Spray them down with a wheel cleaner prior to washing with soap if they are really bad.

Once clean, grab some clay and clay the wheels. If it's tar it will come off. If it's brake dust then it may not come out if it is pitted in the rim.

T-spec
03-02-2007, 11:01 PM
It might just be corrosion. If you tried cleaning them well with wheel cleaner and it still doesn't help try this. I'm assuming the rims are bare aluminum either with a machined or polished finish. If you go to canadian tire, get a product called autosol, its an aluminum polish that comes in a tube. Get a bunch of clean rags and start rubbing, buff off excess polish with some clean cloths and your rims should look pretty dam close to new.

ZiMMie
03-02-2007, 11:41 PM
It might just be corrosion. If you tried cleaning them well with wheel cleaner and it still doesn't help try this. I'm assuming the rims are bare aluminum either with a machined or polished finish. If you go to canadian tire, get a product called autosol, its an aluminum polish that comes in a tube. Get a bunch of clean rags and start rubbing, buff off excess polish with some clean cloths and your rims should look pretty dam close to new.

and if it doesnt?

T-spec
03-03-2007, 06:52 AM
and if it doesnt?

Then it sucks to be you! I had this same problem, used the "stuff" , now rims look great.

propr'one
03-03-2007, 04:42 PM
use never-dull. partsource.

also, dont not wash your car for 3 months.

EugeneBMW
03-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I am going to try that....wheel polish might do the trick.