PDA

View Full Version : Technical Question

opes
02-01-2002, 01:27 PM
Okay, I have a 328IS which is an OBDII car. The engine has little mileage on it (76000 kms) and runs pretty good, so I have no intention (or budget) to swap motors (although a euro 3.2 would be SWEET). So given that the OBD II engine management does not respond well to upgrades I want (M3 cams, free flowing exhaust, CAI, software, etc), I am considering converting to OBD I.

What I want to know is what does the conversion involve. What parts from an OBD I engine are required? What are the downsides, etc? What other upgrading options will OBD I give me that are not available for OBD II?

Thanks a lot guys!

MOTRONIX
02-02-2002, 12:57 PM
hi there, i saw your post, and maybe i can shed some light on it.
if you have a 328i, and you want to install a euro 3.2ltr, well if you get the 3.2 with the wiring harness it is already equipped with obd2 system and also you should get the ews system from the 3.2ltr. it will plug and play. you cant convert the euro 3.2 to obd1 because of the multiple throttlebody system on the euro motor.
if the 3.2ltr motor is a usa motor, then i would just install the motor using the stock wiring harness from your car and use the m3 injectors, but install the obd1 intake manifold 92-95. makes for great power. then have your ecu pregroammed for the larger displacement an dyour all set.
i hope this helps

dave