PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a service light reset code gadget...


BMW_M52_M20
12-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Just bought a serivce reset code gadget for 15.70 american 20$ with shipping on ebay and you plug in to the OBD II and it resets the lights. I mailed the money order off today so I will let you know how it works as my service light is on. The guy has all positive feedback and the bimmer owners that have used it says it works great.

I'll let you guys know.
Jay

bmwm5lover
12-17-2002, 11:33 PM
would i be able to borrow it, i have 1 light that needs to be reset

KIRASIR
12-18-2002, 12:45 AM
Why? A paper clip works just fine and is free. Btw you cannot reset your service lights through OBD2.

SL

Originally posted by Jays_Arctic323is
Just bought a serivce reset code gadget for 15.70 american 20$ with shipping on ebay and you plug in to the OBD II and it resets the lights. I mailed the money order off today so I will let you know how it works as my service light is on. The guy has all positive feedback and the bimmer owners that have used it says it works great.

I'll let you guys know.
Jay

mkgino
12-18-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Why? A paper clip works just fine and is free. Btw you cannot reset your service lights through OBD2.

SL

Why would you be sticking in pins where they dont belong?

KIRASIR
12-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Because it works, and because this is all of these 50dollar reset lights do. They just jump 2 pins in the service connector.

SL

mkgino
12-18-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Because it works, and because this is all of these 50dollar reset lights do. They just jump 2 pins in the service connector.

SL

How do you know you havent damaged something doing that?

KIRASIR
12-18-2002, 03:46 PM
1) People have been grounding pin 7 of the service connector for the last 15 years to reset the service lights.

2) All of the service reset light tools do the exact same thing: ground pin 7.

3) Damaged something? Read 1).

SL

Originally posted by mkgino
How do you know you havent damaged something doing that?

bmwm5lover
12-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Kirasir DOES have a point, specially #1!

mkgino
12-19-2002, 03:46 AM
Can sticking pins in your car tell you whats wrong when your "check control" comes on??? Cause my reset too can

BMW_M52_M20
12-19-2002, 06:06 AM
Whatever, I will pay 15 bucks to buy something, not look around for two paper clips. What does it plug into then if it isn't the OBD II?

KIRASIR
12-19-2002, 12:51 PM
OBD2 connector is located under the steering wheel in the footwell. The service light reset tool (paper clip :) ) is connected to the service connector under the hood.

SL

Originally posted by Jays_Arctic323is
Whatever, I will pay 15 bucks to buy something, not look around for two paper clips. What does it plug into then if it isn't the OBD II?

Autotechnica
12-19-2002, 07:22 PM
I have used KIRASIR's method to reset my service lights numerous times and it is not difficult at all. Why buy a fancy looking tool that will do the same thing anyways? You want to impress your friends?

Bryan

Autotechnica
12-19-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
Can sticking pins in your car tell you whats wrong when your "check control" comes on??? Cause my reset too can

OBD fault codes are the more useless crap on the planet. 95% of the time I'd say totally something else is wrong. Plus on OBD1 cars there is way for the stock computer to output the fault codes to you without using any code readers (I've also done this many times). A lot of the time the fault code read out doesn't even match with any of the fault codes listed in the manual.. hmmm pretty useful.

Just look around the Internet, if your willing to do a little more work you can get everything done without purchasing anything, don't be lazy, unless of course you have too much money to spend.. in which case you can pay me to check them for you :)

Lastly, why do you think car shops spend thousands of dollars on high tech dianoistic machines to tell what's wrong with the car? You think your $50 tool will do the same? It's because these tools don't tell you what's wrong.

Bryan

mkgino
12-19-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
OBD fault codes are the more useless crap on the planet. 95% of the time I'd say totally something else is wrong. Plus on OBD1 cars there is way for the stock computer to output the fault codes to you without using any code readers (I've also done this many times). A lot of the time the fault code read out doesn't even match with any of the fault codes listed in the manual.. hmmm pretty useful.

Just look around the Internet, if your willing to do a little more work you can get everything done without purchasing anything, don't be lazy, unless of course you have too much money to spend.. in which case you can pay me to check them for you :)

Lastly, why do you think car shops spend thousands of dollars on high tech dianoistic machines to tell what's wrong with the car? You think your $50 tool will do the same? It's because these tools don't tell you what's wrong.

Bryan

Ok well last year my "Check Engine" light came on in my car and I wondered what could be wrong. I took it to BMW and after about an hour or so (and $150 later) they told me that my O2 sensor was busted. So I didnt get it fixed right away, but went on the net and found the Peake Research tool for BMW's. So I bought it and tested it out and what do you know?? In about 3 seconds, it told me not only that my O2 sensor was busted, but which one was busted out of the 3 that my car has. Wow, what a useless tool!! Anyway, I got my cousin (a mechanic) to replace it for free. Hmmm what a piece of crap this tool is as u claim. Now dont get me wrong, but I think that this thing is useless for OBD1 since you can depress the accelerator to find out whats wrong with your car, but what are you gonna do for OBD2 Autotechnica? Huh? Tell me a way to find out what is wrong when a "Check Engine" light comes on, on OBD2 car without taking it to a dealer or some BMW mechanic? Huh, u gonna stick paper clips in your car to find out that too?? Yeah thats what I thought.*thmbsdwn*

bmwm5lover
12-19-2002, 11:53 PM
I think having one of those gadget things is great! Hey, do you think that next meet, i could use ur to reset my Inspection light( just the yelllow "Inspection" comes one once ina while), and my brake lines light (my sensors are disconnected or sumting)?

Autotechnica
12-20-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Ok well last year my "Check Engine" light came on in my car and I wondered what could be wrong. I took it to BMW and after about an hour or so (and $150 later) they told me that my O2 sensor was busted. So I didnt get it fixed right away, but went on the net and found the Peake Research tool for BMW's. So I bought it and tested it out and what do you know?? In about 3 seconds, it told me not only that my O2 sensor was busted, but which one was busted out of the 3 that my car has. Wow, what a useless tool!! Anyway, I got my cousin (a mechanic) to replace it for free. Hmmm what a piece of crap this tool is as u claim. Now dont get me wrong, but I think that this thing is useless for OBD1 since you can depress the accelerator to find out whats wrong with your car, but what are you gonna do for OBD2 Autotechnica? Huh? Tell me a way to find out what is wrong when a "Check Engine" light comes on, on OBD2 car without taking it to a dealer or some BMW mechanic? Huh, u gonna stick paper clips in your car to find out that too?? Yeah thats what I thought.*thmbsdwn*

Well you know that tool doesn't really tell you what's wrong all the time. It usually tells you what most people that know a good deal about cars could dianoise on their own. O2 sensors? vaccum hoses? misfiring cylinders? There are lots of symptoms and easy tests you can do without using this tool to determine. This has nothing to do with paperclips, that part was only for the service light reset. And BMW doesn't use the same tool you guys do to dianoise the problem, if they did they wouldn't charge you so much. In same cases your tool could find the same problem as BMW's expensive machines, but when they can't, how can you compare?

Bryan

mkgino
12-20-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Well you know that tool doesn't really tell you what's wrong all the time. It usually tells you what most people that know a good deal about cars could dianoise on their own. O2 sensors? vaccum hoses? misfiring cylinders? There are lots of symptoms and easy tests you can do without using this tool to determine. This has nothing to do with paperclips, that part was only for the service light reset. And BMW doesn't use the same tool you guys do to dianoise the problem, if they did they wouldn't charge you so much. In same cases your tool could find the same problem as BMW's expensive machines, but when they can't, how can you compare?

Bryan

How do you know they cant?? Just wondering did you ever own one of these tools before, or an expensive machine from BMW? Just wondering since you seem to compare the two easily. When you have used both then compare.

Autotechnica
12-20-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
How do you know they cant?? Just wondering did you ever own one of these tools before, or an expensive machine from BMW? Just wondering since you seem to compare the two easily. When you have used both then compare.

Umm yeah two of my friend's with 328's both told me how useless it was and I experienced it first hand. But hey, if your ignorant enough to believe that a $50 device will perform just as well as a $200,000 dianostic machine then I give up. I guess all those guys owning car shops must be pretty dumb eh? I know the owners of 4 different car shops that specialize in BMW's personally that have these dianostic machines and I know what they are capable of.

Here's a little test you can try. Poke a hole in your intake tube, when your car starts to loose vaccum pressure and your engine dies see if your dianostic tool can detect it. Then go run it on a dianostic machine and tell me the results.

Anyways, there isn't really anyway either of us can prove it. But you have to think why car shops will continue to purchase such expensive dianoistic machines when they can simply get a $50 tool? Do you actually believe this? Will no point in arguing this any further.

peace,

Bryan

mkgino
12-20-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Umm yeah two of my friend's with 328's both told me how useless it was and I experienced it first hand. But hey, if your ignorant enough to believe that a $50 device will perform just as well as a $200,000 dianostic machine then I give up. I guess all those guys owning car shops must be pretty dumb eh?

Bryan

Ok, well obviously a machine that costs that much is better than the little device, but I dont see why it is useless. It does what you pay for. If it can distinguish between 3 O2 sensors, it can probably diagnose pretty much anything that can occur when your "check engine" light comes on. Let me ask you something, does stepping on the accelerator and counting how many times your check engine light flashes as accurate as a $200 000 machine? No obviously not, but you have found a cheap alternative, instead of going to the dealership and paying $150 for something you can do by stepping on the gas. In any case how do you know its not as accurate as the machines at BMW? I mean you have never used them have you? Dont get me wrong, they probably are more accurate, but how do you know? U are a mechanic at BMW? Its funny how people can comment on something they have never used before. Thats what I dont like about forums, they can be helpful at times but you can get people commenting on something they have never used before.

Autotechnica
12-20-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Ok, well obviously a machine that costs that much is better than the little device, but I dont see why it is useless. It does what you pay for. If it can distinguish between 3 O2 sensors, it can probably diagnose pretty much anything that can occur when your "check engine" light comes on. Let me ask you something, does stepping on the accelerator and counting how many times your check engine light flashes as accurate as a $200 000 machine? No obviously not, but you have found a cheap alternative, instead of going to the dealership and paying $150 for something you can do by stepping on the gas. In any case how do you know its not as accurate as the machines at BMW? I mean you have never used them have you? Dont get me wrong, they probably are more accurate, but how do you know? U are a mechanic at BMW? Its funny how people can comment on something they have never used before. Thats what I dont like about forums, they can be helpful at times but you can get people commenting on something they have never used before.

I think your missing my point though. Those OBD code readers only flash out fault codes for problems that can easily be diagnossed by people with moderate experience with cars. I found that when I poked around the engine a bit I found the problem more easily and more accurately rather than using the fault code readers. And I should mention that this was on my friend's 1997 328is. We did fix his car that day, with no help from the code reader.

I believe that if there is a problem that the code reader flashes out, it will find the problem faster than if you tried to diagnose it on your own. However, I believe that most likely that problem could be found on your own without the code reader. If there are more serious problems that you cannot identify, I have experienced this, the code reader does not reconize it.

Anyways, I thought the guy purchased a service light reset tool not an OBD code fault reader. Those reset tools are useless because as Serge mentioned earlier you can do the same thing using a pin or screw driver. It may seem unprofessional but maybe next time ask independant BMW car shops how they reset service lights, you will be surprized. Also, you shouldn't doubt Serge, he is quite an experienced mechanic.

Bryan

mkgino
12-20-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I think your missing my point though. Those OBD code readers only flash out fault codes for problems that can easily be diagnossed by people with moderate experience with cars. I found that when I poked around the engine a bit I found the problem more easily and more accurately rather than using the fault code readers. And I should mention that this was on my friend's 1997 328is. We did fix his car that day, with no help from the code reader.

I believe that if there is a problem that the code reader flashes out, it will find the problem faster than if you tried to diagnose it on your own. However, I believe that most likely that problem could be found on your own without the code reader. If there are more serious problems that you cannot identify, I have experienced this, the code reader does not reconize it.

Anyways, I thought the guy purchased a service light reset tool not an OBD code fault reader. Those reset tools are useless because as Serge mentioned earlier you can do the same thing using a pin or screw driver. It may seem unprofessional but maybe next time ask independant BMW car shops how they reset service lights, you will be surprized. Also, you shouldn't doubt Serge, he is quite an experienced mechanic.

Bryan

Hey off topic, where did u get your Z3 short shifter from, the dealership? How much was it??

Autotechnica
12-20-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Hey off topic, where did u get your Z3 short shifter from, the dealership? How much was it??

Yep, it was $80-$100 from the dealer, can't remember now. It makes the biggest difference on the 318, not sure why. It's extremely short, but very notchy as well. It will require a little more strength to put into gear but you get a more tight, less sloppy feel. Also, no more misshifts into 3rd gear or any other gear for that matter!

Bryan

Autotechnica
12-20-2002, 03:11 AM
The actual shift lever of the MZ3 shifter is shorter in length and is straight whereas you will notice the stock lever is slightly bent and much longer. The only disadvantages I found was that the shifter was lowered meaning a person with very short arms may have trouble reaching for the shifter or it may require more handy work. :)

Bryan

KIRASIR
12-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Thanks Bryan for the compliment but I don't find myself as an experienced as I would liked to be. I have done and read a lot of things about bimmer though.

Some insight on diagnostic features of BMWs:

Pre 96:
1) BMW service connector (under the hood)
2) OBD-I (not sure if there is even a service connector for this in bimmers)

After 96:
1) BMW service connector (under the hood, the same as pre 96)
2) OBD-II (under the steering wheel)

You guys piled them up all in one pile, you just can't do that.

BMW Service connector has NOTHING to do with OBD-I nor OBD-II(almost :)). The BMW connector is used to retrieve BMW proprietary engine fault codes by two means:
a service tool like Peake's (140US) or the big computer that costs about 50k that all the dealers use. You CANNOT compare the two. They are apples and oranges. The 50k machine can tell you things like which wire is broken in your engine harness and will do a complete emission system diagnostics while the Peake's tool will only display the BMW engine code in 2digit hex format. Such code may or may not point to a correct problem in your vehicle.

OBD-I and OBD-II are a bunch of standards developed by SAE to help with vehicle diagnostics and emissions. By law all the car manufacturers must implement OBD-II in the their vehicles after 96. It was the same with OBD-I before 96. OBD software usually does the following, when a code is thrown by the vehicle computer (a BMW code), it is mapped to one of the generic OBD codes. Then an OBD code is stored with some freeze frame data (things like RPM, temp, etc at the time the fault occurred) for further retrieval. OBD has nothing to do with BMW Service lights. Peake's tool has nothing to do with OBD-I nor OBD-II. To retrieve the OBD-I codes you use the "gas pedal" method for pre 96 bimmers. For OBD-II codes and data you need an OBD-II reader(yes it can reset check engine light).

If you want to do a complete diagnostic of your 96+ bimmer you need both readers(Peakes and OBD-II). But in any case both of the tools are NOT always accurate .

When you went to the dealer, of course, they hooked you up to the big machine, because
a) They want to make money.
b) They want to do a complete and CORRECT diagnostic of your car since as I said above, the codes do NOT always give one a full picture of the problem. OBD-II emission control systems are MUCH more complex and strict than of pre96 cars, and hence harder to accuratly diagnose. Consider yourself lucky that it was just an O2 sensor and not a vacuum hose leak, or leak in the fuel recirculating system; these are a tolal bitch to diagnose with or without the tools.

SL

SickFinga
12-20-2002, 05:18 PM
mkgino, Jays_Arctic323is bought service reset tool which only ground pin #7 in the car so it is just fancy way to groung the wire. His tool will not show you anything at all. your tool can show only basic problems with the car. For example Charlie's tool didn;t show his that I have a whole in the muffler and that's why my Service light was on.

BMW_M52_M20
12-21-2002, 05:58 AM
I am not trying to impress people buy buying a reset tool. IT IS 15$$$$$!!!!
You guys are driving bmws, it's not a lot of money. Thats cool if you guys like paper clips to reset things, I found this and bought it.

Maybe I should mention this to BMW mechanics across North America, they could save a lot of money with using paper clips! JK.

Autotechnica
12-21-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jays_Arctic323is

Maybe I should mention this to BMW mechanics across North America, they could save a lot of money with using paper clips! JK.

You don't have to, this is already a common practice of many BMW mechanics around the world.

Bryan

bimmersportswife
12-23-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Ok well last year my "Check Engine" light came on in my car and I wondered what could be wrong. I took it to BMW and after about an hour or so (and $150 later) they told me that my O2 sensor was busted.

How come I'm having a hard time believing that you were charged $150 to have your engine light diagnosed? You must have been seriously ripped off (or you had more than an O2 sensor problem)!!:huh?: Let me tell you where I work we only charge .5 labour for engine light diagnoses (which come out to $47.50 plus tax)....

Autotechnica
12-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by bimmersportswife
How come I'm having a hard time believing that you were charged $150 to have your engine light diagnosed? You must have been seriously ripped off (or you had more than an O2 sensor problem)!!:huh?: Let me tell you where I work we only charge .5 labour for engine light diagnoses (which come out to $47.50 plus tax)....

I think BMW will rip off anyone they can. I heard of things way more ridiculous than this. My friend paying $300 for an oil change and check up, took less than 1 and half hours. The car was sitting in that garage for at least 40 min before they started, wtf? Oh well, I guess you need common sense when you bring your car to the dealer. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that something's not right.

PS. I love your SIG! haha CJ and Alexa look so grown up! :)

Bryan

djcontra
12-23-2002, 04:56 PM
a) you can reset the service lights with a paperclip, tons of people do it without any trouble at all. The reset tool does the same thing by shorting out the two pins, but it has lights on it that let you know when it's completed so you dont have to count to 10 or whatever =)

b) jay, for $15, i'd probably buy it too, that's a great price!

c) mkgino, next time you have a problem with your car, you can diagnose things like the o2 sensors yourself by doing the brake pedal trick. I'll try and get the url for you, but basically it's something like you turn on your car to position 1 on the ignition, and then press the brake pad 3 times, and then the gas pedal...or something along those lines, and the computer will flash lights at you on the dash in a sort of morse code which you can lookup on the url if i can find it.

SickFinga
12-23-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by djcontra


c) mkgino, next time you have a problem with your car, you can diagnose things like the o2 sensors yourself by doing the brake pedal trick. I'll try and get the url for you, but basically it's something like you turn on your car to position 1 on the ignition, and then press the brake pad 3 times, and then the gas pedal...or something along those lines, and the computer will flash lights at you on the dash in a sort of morse code which you can lookup on the url if i can find it.


Prettyy sure it doesn't work on OBDII

djcontra
12-24-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Prettyy sure it doesn't work on OBDII

oh yeah?? that sucks man, i used that quite a bit over the summer to diagnose some problems with my car.
I'm sure there's a tool you can plug into the computer for obdII cars like i have for my dad's GM vehicals though right?

SickFinga
12-24-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
oh yeah?? that sucks man, i used that quite a bit over the summer to diagnose some problems with my car.
I'm sure there's a tool you can plug into the computer for obdII cars like i have for my dad's GM vehicals though right?

Yep, MKGINO has that tool