PDA

View Full Version : E30 trunk leak

MatyBMW
12-17-2002, 02:06 AM
What solves the well known E30 trunk leak problem?

ROB89M3
12-17-2002, 02:08 AM
Check the rear tail light assemblies. They have foam seals that deteriates.
Check the rear trunk seal with newspaper. Really... Take a 4 inch section of newsprint, close the trunk on it. Pull on the newsprint. There should be some grabbing. Open trunk and move paper, close trunk , check,,,,etc. Around complete trunk seal area. If there is a lack of grab/seal, then replace rear trunk seal.
Check rear license plate lights, with age the rubber seals no longer seal.
Do the light test: in low light, place a drop light under the car, from inside the trunk, look in the two side wells. Sometimes the caulking brakes away between two metal panels. It will be real obvious if the leak is here, as you will see light from the trunk.
Do you have a sunroof ? Check to make sure that the rear drain tubes do not drain into your trunk.

E30 Stu
12-17-2002, 01:00 PM
To add to what Rob said, check the antenna grommet. Often water comes in through there after they deteriorate. You can tell if there is a puddle down by where the jack/tire iron are.

M50E30
12-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Most E30 trunk leaks are from the sunroof drain. The antenna mast is also a good spot for leaking. Also check for cracks/tears in the trunk seal.

Good luck,
Dave

MatyBMW
12-18-2002, 12:18 AM
Hmm, thanks

I think its probably the rubber seal around the trunk, it does have a few minor tears, one on the right side.

The water seems to be leaking only into the right rear side of the vehicle on top of the battery cover. Some of it does get into the right tail light. My sunroof leaked last year but I had that fixed, they flushed out my drainage holes and fixed the overflow tray.

Is it safe to conclude that it is probably the rubber seal?

ROB89M3
12-18-2002, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by MatyBMW
Hmm, thanks

I think its probably the rubber seal around the trunk, it does have a few minor tears, one on the right side.

The water seems to be leaking only into the right rear side of the vehicle on top of the battery cover. Some of it does get into the right taillight. My sunroof leaked last year but I had that fixed, they flushed out my drainage holes and fixed the overflow tray.

Is it safe to conclude that it is probably the rubber seal?
:confused:
Could be rubber seal. But I think it's the rear taillight seal. Very easy fix.

Take out light-bulb holder. (grey box)

Then there are about 8 nuts holding the taillight assembly.Take those out and there should be a foam seal around it.
Peel off the seal and replace with a fresh one that can be bought at the dealer.

Good luck.

MatyBMW
12-18-2002, 02:26 PM
Thanks rob, i think your right because I can see a small amount of light from around the lens cluster.

i'll try that,
thanks again

M50E30
12-19-2002, 01:37 AM
Dry the area out and take a pressure washer to it. Try the tail light area then go from there.