PDA

View Full Version : Battery disconnection during storage?

thinair
12-16-2002, 01:14 AM
Is it worth it to disconnect the battery of my car while it's stored? I guess it'd delay people trying to start it if trying to steal it. Also, does the alarm work if wired directly to the battery?

Slowered318
12-16-2002, 05:00 AM
You might want to take out your battery and bring it inside so it doesn't lose charge and freeze up. If this happens your battery will be gone. bring it in.. top it up with destilled water and hit it with a battery charger once a month or so, also keep it off the concrete or keep it on a rubber mat.

And once it's disconnected the alarm wont work at all.. same with your power door locks.

Also thow on some cheap tires so you don't get flat spots on thoes $300 tires :mad:

thinair
12-16-2002, 09:32 PM
i've got bald 15" tires on stock rims on the car while it's stored.

I'm not too worried about the cold, the car is stored in an insulated garage, not even the liquids and hoses freeze that are stored in there.

So alarms won't work even when hooked up directly to the battery?

Slowered318
12-16-2002, 09:39 PM
oh ok.. well your all good then.

I'm not shure how your alarm is hooked up. but they usually use the factory power lines? If it's wired directly to your battery the door trigers and such might not work properly because they usually work on a negative trigger in bmw's

thinair
12-16-2002, 10:10 PM
i'm worried more about the bumping/jarring that sets off the alarm, which is what I want to work, it's not a factory alarm.

Slowered318
12-16-2002, 10:31 PM
Shock sensor should still work..

thinair
12-16-2002, 10:54 PM
that's all that matter then:)