PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Xenon Question

Gamite
12-15-2002, 02:17 AM
Ok, so since Xenon's have like a power up time, what happens when you want to "flash" people, like say you want to let them in your lane or something? Do the lights flicker?

Also, with Daytime running lights, does it run a low voltage Xenon or something? I'd imagine you'd be high beaming everyone if not.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-15-2002, 02:18 AM
i read that the bulb switches inside the housing or some shit? is that true?

mkgino
12-15-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Gamite
Ok, so since Xenon's have like a power up time, what happens when you want to "flash" people, like say you want to let them in your lane or something? Do the lights flicker?

Also, with Daytime running lights, does it run a low voltage Xenon or something? I'd imagine you'd be high beaming everyone if not.

Yup, they are in your low beams, so when you flick your high beams on, you are using your halogen light bulbs. When you have your drl lights, they are the same bulb as your halogen high beams are.

NickP
12-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by mkgino

Yup, they are in your low beams, so when you flick your high beams on, you are using your halogen light bulbs. When you have your drl lights, they are the same bulb as your halogen high beams are.

Bi-Xenons are Xenon for the low and high beams...

Gamite
12-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Doesnt anyone have Bi Xenon's on this board?

Jon@Bimmersport
12-15-2002, 09:38 PM

Bliss should..i remember they came standard on all 325/330 e46

Gamite
12-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover

Bliss should..i remember they came standard on all 325/330 e46

He doesnt.

AMG_POWER
12-15-2002, 09:53 PM
Well in my 7 there's bi-xnon, but if i wanna flash it flashes with normal lights.

Gamite
12-15-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by BiMMer745i
Well in my 7 there's bi-xnon, but if i wanna flash it flashes with normal lights.

So you have regular halogen's built into your high beam assembly?

AMG_POWER
12-15-2002, 10:03 PM
yeah the lights on the sides is xenon+high beam xenon, and one in are the normal light to flash i guess.

mkgino
12-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Ok, I found this maybe this will explain it:

"What is bi-xenon lighting?

Unlike conventional halogen bulbs, which use a glowing filament and reflectors to direct the spread of light, xenon lighting uses a bright, white gas-discharge lamp. Xenon lights work on alternating current (AC) while halogen bulbs are powered by the battery's DC current. To provide the xenon lights with AC, an electronic ballast (starter module), with a high-voltage start-up, transforms the normal voltage into AC. This provides significantly more power for lighting.

Until relatively recently, only low-beam xenon light systems have been on the market. They used a combination of xenon lighting with its projector modules for low-beam work and halogen bulbs with reflectors for high-beam situations, simply because the xenon projector modules just weren't big enough to work effectively on high beam.

However, two years ago, the first bi-xenon lights were made commercially available, with a projector module featuring a shutter which rises to reveal the whole lamp on high beam. That's when Saab decided to incorporate the lighting system as an option on the new Saab 9-5. However, the bi-xenon headlamp unit still retains halogen bulbs with separate, larger reflectors for the headlight flash function, an important safety feature."

Gamite
12-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Ahh, thanks guys..

so is your DRL using the Halogen as well? or a low wattage xenon?

mkgino
12-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Ahh, thanks guys..

so is your DRL using the Halogen as well? or a low wattage xenon?

Who is this question for?

KaschmirBeige3
12-15-2002, 10:50 PM

I have Bi-Xenons on my car. The Xenon is only in the Low Beam side. There is a little mechanism (mirror ) that tilts up and down. If i wanna put on my highs, i have to push the light stalk toward te dash board to activate the Xenon-high beams. But if I wana flash at smebody, i can pull the light stalk towards me and the halogens will light up in the "high beam side". hop this clears it all up for you. If you anymore questions regarding Bi-Xenons, feel free to ask me.

Bobby

330DTM
12-15-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by KaschmirBeige3

I have Bi-Xenons on my car. The Xenon is only in the Low Beam side. There is a little mechanism (mirror ) that tilts up and down. If i wanna put on my highs, i have to push the light stalk toward te dash board to activate the Xenon-high beams. But if I wana flash at smebody, i can pull the light stalk towards me and the halogens will light up in the "high beam side". hop this clears it all up for you. If you anymore questions regarding Bi-Xenons, feel free to ask me.

Bobby

Cool, is there anyway you can take a picture of this feature and what the lights look like when they're activated, i'd like to see the difference :P

Gamite
12-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by mkgino

Who is this question for?

For anyone..

Jon@Bimmersport
12-15-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM

Cool, is there anyway you can take a picture of this feature and what the lights look like when they're activated, i'd like to see the difference :P

yea i agree..also turn the flash off...it ruins the pic..hehe

KaschmirBeige3
12-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM

sure, i'll take a pic tomorrow and post it here.

openwheel
12-16-2002, 03:34 AM
I know that on the Benz CL 500 that there is a filter that covers the xenon light for low beam and when you flash the High-beam- the filer moves out of the way to show full light. So the light is always on full high beam brightness but the filter brings the amount of light on the road down.

Hope this helps as well.