PDA

View Full Version : paint colors...HELP

jeremy
12-11-2002, 08:33 PM
i need help with selecting a paint color for my car...i'm painting it next year and have no idea which color to paint it....i found this bmw color called "ambra" that is available on the 325ti in europe...i had du'pont mix me up a sample, but when it came it looked like a brown gold color instead of a orange copper...PLEASE HELP...any color .........
HELP !!!????!?!??:(

M-ATTACK
12-11-2002, 08:39 PM
hey jeremy,
i think i know what you are looking for,
the colour is called Spanish Gold, it is a candy colour.
i believe its by PPG or maybe house of kolor?

hope it helps you, i know what a pain it is to pick a colour!

ROB89M3
12-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Jeremy,I'd get away from the yellowish-orangish-redish colors.
I'd stick with a whiteish- blueish-greenish- shades.

I think something like this colour would look amazing on your car....But you ultimatly have to like it.

by the way,that color is ice-blue

jeremy
12-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by M-ATTACK
hey jeremy,
i think i know what you are looking for,
the colour is called Spanish Gold, it is a candy colour.
i believe its by PPG or maybe house of kolor?

hope it helps you, i know what a pain it is to pick a colour!

all i know is on www.bmw.co.uk the color ambra looks alot different that what du'pont supplied me with.....but know i found a pic of it on another website and it does look kinda brownie gold.....maybe i will just paint it laguna blue....but then it might look like randy's, even though laguna blue has alittle more green in it...i dunno....MAN THIS SUCKS...atleast i have a bit of time...it wont be painted probaly till april or late march....depending on the snow...

here is a pic of "ambra"

jeremy
12-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Jeremy,I'd get away from the yellowish-orangish-redish colors.
I'd stick with a whiteish- blueish-greenish- shades.

I think something like this colour would look amazing on your car....But you ultimatly have to like it.

that is a nice color...my main concern is that the color goes with the red and orange in the tailights (or i could change em for smoked ones) but also all my instrumentation glows orange...and my signals in my mirrors and front bumper glow orange (i guees i could change those too ....but then theres sitll my instrumentation)

jeremy
12-11-2002, 08:58 PM
by the way rob...it's good to see ya back *th-up*

jeremy
12-11-2002, 09:31 PM
bump

Kal
12-11-2002, 09:59 PM
i thought ur gonna paint it that porsche colour?!?

stick with the porchse colour man..i guarantee u it'll look sweet

or like i recommended before..go for a candy colour...the ones PPG suplies....they are sweeet

jeremy
12-11-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Kal
i thought ur gonna paint it that porsche colour?!?

stick with the porchse colour man..i guarantee u it'll look sweet

or like i recommended before..go for a candy colour...the ones PPG suplies....they are sweeet

i dunno...i want to make sure i really like the color..and i'm 50/50 on the porsche color

mkgino
12-12-2002, 12:15 AM
Are you that hard up on a flashy color?? why not make it a little more subtle. Maybe a dark blue or something. When you color a car a lime green or bright orange, it looks cheezy

Kal
12-12-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Are you that hard up on a flashy color?? why not make it a little more subtle. Maybe a dark blue or something. When you color a car a lime green or bright orange, it looks cheezy

i don't think the colours he suggesting are cheezy at all...more subtle colours look to stock..i think he's tryin to go for a unique look...

mkgino
12-12-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Kal

i don't think the colours he suggesting are cheezy at all...more subtle colours look to stock..i think he's tryin to go for a unique look...

I understand that but man when you start doing that, you start looking like the lime green hondas that were at import fest!! Thats just wrong,

thinair
12-12-2002, 12:39 AM
why not take all the paint off it, and put a really thick clear coat on bare metal, or get all the body panels chromed.*th-up*

Kal
12-12-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by thinair
why not take all the paint off it, and put a really thick clear coat on bare metal, or get all the body panels chromed.*th-up*

dude...the reflection will blind anybody who looks at his car!!! u can't chrome a whole automobile...lol..

thinair
12-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Kal

dude...the reflection will blind anybody who looks at his car!!! u can't chrome a whole automobile...lol..

Who said it was practical?
And why can't you chrome the whole automobile? Technically it's possible.....just strip and dip/spray the indiviual body panels. And then get chrome rims, and get that chrome tint stuff, chrome everything. The car will go faster because it'll reflect all the light that'd normally slow it down.*th-up*

I just remember seeing an Audi that was totally polished in an autoshow mag article a while ago.

RIKS RYD
12-12-2002, 05:04 AM
dude to be honest!! your car with the skirts would look sick painted jet black!!! i saw an e30 in virginia about a year ago with the same skirts and the car was painted jet black and that's why i bough my e30(i swear 2 god) the car looked as sweet as randys!!! sickest e 30 i have seen!!!!(black 1)

jeremy
12-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RIKS RYD
dude to be honest!! your car with the skirts would look sick painted jet black!!! i saw an e30 in virginia about a year ago with the same skirts and the car was painted jet black and that's why i bough my e30(i swear 2 god) the car looked as sweet as randys!!! sickest e 30 i have seen!!!!(black 1)

you think ??? i saw a car kitted with the reiger gts kit in black and i thought it looked horrible:puke: does not do the kit or car justice...just my 0.02

Bob Loblaw
12-12-2002, 04:04 PM

I just remember seeing an Audi that was totally polished in an autoshow mag article a while ago.

Ah yes, the Audi Avus (http://www.motorcities.com/contents/02J0G194232324.html). Beautiful design.

Bob Loblaw
12-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
i need help with selecting a paint color for my car...i'm painting it next year and have no idea which color to paint it.

By the way, Jeremy, the color you have right now is amazing. Why change it?

jeremy
12-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

By the way, Jeremy, the color you have right now is amazing. Why change it?

thanks...i have allitle rust forming around the sunroof and to clean it up with the paint i have now is about the same price as repainting the car in a normal color...the paint i have now is tahitian sunset and retails for aroun 789.00 a pint....and i dont like the color i have now, too much red....if my car is going to be red it has to be a DEEP scarlet type red...mine looks too faded..

Bob Loblaw
12-12-2002, 04:33 PM
I see. Sorry for my noob questions, but to get a completely new color, it's preferable to gut the engine bay, remove door panels, etc., to get the same color everywhere, right? So my question is this: do you know what would be the average difference in price with getting a re-paint of the same color as opposed to a completely different color?

jeremy
12-12-2002, 04:42 PM
I see. Sorry for my noob questions, but to get a completely new color, it's preferable to gut the engine bay, remove door panels, etc., to get the same color everywhere, right? So my question is this: do you know what would be the average difference in price with getting a re-paint of the same color as opposed to a completely different color?

the guy i talked to will do a full color change for around 1000.00...BUT I WILL BE PROVIDING ALL THE PAINT AND MATERIALS>.. normaly to get your car painted properly and a new color you would probably be looking from any from 2500.00 -5000.00 depending on the shop

Bob Loblaw
12-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Dang, that's expensive! :) But it's worth it, especially in the case of a car like yours.

Thanks.

jeremy
12-12-2002, 08:03 PM
bump

thinair
12-12-2002, 08:13 PM

Ah yes, the Audi Avus (http://www.motorcities.com/contents/02J0G194232324.html). Beautiful design.

Not the car i remember seeing (it was an old quattro, like years ago), but that's the idea.

I'm going off-topic here, but Bob, is that your real name?

Bob Loblaw
12-12-2002, 08:29 PM

I'm going off-topic here, but Bob, is that your real name?

No, it's not. I wish it was, though! :P

Say it out loud, you'll understand why!

thinair
12-12-2002, 08:49 PM

No, it's not. I wish it was, though! :P

Say it out loud, you'll understand why!

Exactly*th-up*
I was almost afraid to ask....good old subtle humour.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-13-2002, 01:06 AM
haha that name is wicked!!

anyways, jeremy i think you should stay with the orange/red theme...it looks amazing...why go from this colour to like a green or a blue? randy's blue E30 looked nice but it'll be too common...your paint is really original and awesome in the right lighting...just change the wheels, and your set! dont forget the blower

jeremy
12-13-2002, 02:02 PM
anyways, jeremy i think you should stay with the orange/red theme...it looks amazing...why go from this colour to like a green or a blue? randy's blue E30 looked nice but it'll be too common...your paint is really original and awesome in the right lighting...just change the wheels, and your set! dont forget the blower [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks man....i just kinda want a change....i'm tossing the interior, building up my cage more and will probably just put two black sparco sprint seats in the front..i was thinking maybe like an audi "aviator grey" with some blue and white pearl in it...I DUNNO...my main concern is that it blends ok with the orange in the lights and front signals (as well as the signals in my mirrors)

anybody ????? any colors ????

jeremy
12-13-2002, 08:26 PM
my friend did this for me....kinda neat

mkgino
12-13-2002, 08:32 PM
You know, your car looks unique and very nice as it is. I like it so I dont see why you should get another paint job. But for $5000, you could get a very nice supercharger, and your car would definately fly!!!

jeremy
12-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
You know, your car looks unique and very nice as it is. I like it so I dont see why you should get another paint job. But for $5000, you could get a very nice supercharger, and your car would definately fly!!!

I'M REPAINTING BECAUSE I HAVE RUST FORMING AROUND THE SUNROOF...AND I'M ONLY SPENDING 1000.00..oops cap locks...i aint re-typing

RIKS RYD
12-13-2002, 09:22 PM
i was thinking about getting my car painted that copper color, it would look really sweet with your skirts and white rims!!!!

GO COPPER COPPER

jeremy
12-13-2002, 09:48 PM
i was thinking about getting my car painted that copper color, it would look really sweet with your skirts and white rims!!!!

GO COPPER COPPER

you got a paint code or make ??

RIKS RYD
12-13-2002, 10:36 PM
can get it tomorrow for sure!!!
i can even get you some sample's if you like!!!

jeremy
12-13-2002, 11:08 PM
can get it tomorrow for sure!!!
i can even get you some sample's if you like!!!

that would be absolutely AMAZING...thanks !!!*th-up* *th-up*