PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trans Question

AcidSnow
12-11-2002, 03:03 PM
here is a question for you guys. I have a 1998 328i automatic. I've noticed that when I drive, I can feel the gears change, but when they do, there is a faint sound that comes from the engine compartment. Its hard to explain what it sounds like, kinda like a small squeal sound, then like a click sound. does anyone know what this is? car drives fine, also it seems like that sounds been getting louder lately . . . . . . .

330DTM
12-11-2002, 03:46 PM
hmm, a sound clip would be helpful if possible :P

What's the mileage on your car so far?

Maybe if the problem continues you can take it to your local mechanic or your BMW dealer and take them for a test drive to diagnose the problem?

AcidSnow
12-11-2002, 03:53 PM
my car has 107,000km. you can also hear the sound when slowing down, gears down changing . . . .

330DTM
12-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Hmm have you ever used the M mode on your car? From what I can remember, if I use the M mode, well bascially just keeping it in, for example 2nd, and if I accelerate up to 3000rpm and just as I let go of the accelerator, and the rpms drop down, I can hear this slightly squeal, or whinning put it in my way, sound being produced as the rpms drop.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-13-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 328DTM
hmm, a sound clip would be helpful if possible :P

What's the mileage on your car so far?

Maybe if the problem continues you can take it to your local mechanic or your BMW dealer and take them for a test drive to diagnose the problem?

328DTM aka 328i wiseman

haha..you know everything bout these things

im just wondering, why does it do that? why not like the mercedes how their shifts are so smooth and un feelable

330DTM
12-13-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover

328DTM aka 328i wiseman

haha..you know everything bout these things

im just wondering, why does it do that? why not like the mercedes how their shifts are so smooth and un feelable

Heh, what is this, some sort of sarcasim I smell? Ppl. on this board must be talking behind my back now huh? Just cuz I try to talk like I know "everything"!
I never said that I was "Mr. Know it all" :huh?:
Just throwing in my $0.02s. :cool:

Anyways I never sat in a Mercedes before so I don't know how it shifts so can't help you on that.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM

Heh, what is this, some sort of sarcasim I smell? Ppl. on this board must be talking behind my back now huh? Just cuz I try to talk like I know "everything"!
I never said that I was "Mr. Know it all" :huh?:
Just throwing in my $0.02s. :cool:

Anyways I never sat in a Mercedes before so I don't know how it shifts so can't help you on that.

LOL! you took it the wrong way man...i meant u ARE mr know it all (in a good way).