PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Car wont start

blown
12-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Every time I turn the key the dash lights flash, the headlights flash and there is a wiered noise coming from the instrument cluster, simular noise to when the atm machine is counting money.

some joe blow mech told me it's anti theft turning on, but I can still jump the car when pushing it in first gear and dropping the clutch.

Please help on this issue.

I suspect a low battery, I had the car in the shop a week ago regarding the issue and he rebuilt the starter but the problem continued, and he blamed it on anti theft, so he charged up the battery and it was ok for a week....any ideas?

StikiGreenZ
12-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Its the battery.

Jiver
12-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Blown,

Could be the battery. A load test would confirm. An alternate way of checking is to get a hold of a volt-meter, connect to battery and start the car and check the voltage drop.

Thanks...

Gordon

FastM3
12-22-2006, 05:10 AM
Blown,

Could be the battery. A load test would confirm. An alternate way of checking is to get a hold of a volt-meter, connect to battery and start the car and check the voltage drop.

Thanks...

Gordon

Definitely try this.
What year and model car do you have?

blown
12-22-2006, 07:50 PM
My car is a 99 328I...I have replaced the negative ground, and that hasn't helped, and I had a mech hook up a volt meter to the battery when the car was running and that showed up as a strong battery.

Do you guys think I should try the volt meter as I turn the key and the car does that "thing". What should I be seeing if it's the battery?

I assume that the volts will drop to zero the second I turn the key if it's bad, is this true?

Thanks for your help thus far....please keep the input coming.

gtrm3
12-23-2006, 05:02 AM
1. check for looseconnections,especially in the starter area as u changed it and maybe the mech fogot to tighten it.

2.do a low test on the battery as the volt meter is not the best way. if u r using the volt meter look at it while u crank the car and the voltage just drops.. i had the same problem with my other car and the volt meter showed an actual higher reading than 12.8v so i thought the battery was fine but when i cranked it it dropped low right away imean like 1.2 or some thing.

blown
12-23-2006, 11:26 AM
gtrm3 - when you had that happen, was it just the battery that was the problem?

gtrm3
12-26-2006, 08:46 PM
gtrm3 - when you had that happen, was it just the battery that was the problem?

sorry i was away for a few days.

yes it was a battery problem.

blown
12-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks for your help guys....it was a battery problem, even tho the battery showed a full charge it was faulty