PDA

View Full Version : ZMax and other additives?

Jesse
12-08-2002, 04:57 PM
So... just saw ZMax's great commerical on a sat. morning in bed for the 1000th time, and I think its finally starting to make me want to go buy it - BUT, I've heard that additives are bad for BMW's - what do you guys think about ZMax? Should I buy it or would it do more harm then good?

Jon@Bimmersport
12-08-2002, 08:35 PM
what do you guys think of the "tornado" they showed a dyno where it added 20hp with an intake

mkgino
12-09-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
what do you guys think of the "tornado" they showed a dyno where it added 20hp with an intake

Everytime someone sees something like this, they say people are crazy to buy it, but I mean why wouldnt it work?? I dont understand? It kinda forces in more air into your intake side after your filter, so theoretically it should work right?? I dont know.

swisherchico
12-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Everytime someone sees something like this, they say people are crazy to buy it, but I mean why wouldnt it work?? I dont understand? It kinda forces in more air into your intake side after your filter, so theoretically it should work right?? I dont know.

I really don't see how it forces air into your car. The air being pulled in by the engine is what makes the thing spin. You need an alternative source to push the air in (like the exhaust or pulleys) to force the air in.

I would put money on it that it wouldn't even add 10 hp

mkgino
12-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by swisherchico

I really don't see how it forces air into your car. The air being pulled in by the engine is what makes the thing spin. You need an alternative source to push the air in (like the exhaust or pulleys) to force the air in.

I would put money on it that it wouldn't even add 10 hp

The fan doesnt force air in by itself, are u sure?? I thought that if it did force the air in, then that would increase the compression a bit.....but anyway

325Ryan
12-09-2002, 07:53 PM
dude, the tornado doesnt work. It says it creates a cylone or something into your engine. How could the cyclone survive being fed through the intake pipes and through the engine. Last I checked engines have lots of stupid turns and corners in them.

Even if it could keep the funnel? how would that add horsepower. If they were really that good dont you think automakers would put them on thier cars stock?

Zmax and additives ... dont even get me started DONT BUY THEM

braindamage
12-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Zmax got sued by the FTC.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

mike125k
12-09-2002, 10:22 PM
that tornado thing does make a tiny bit of sense. they are right that swirling air does make more power as it atomizes the fuel more completely. however the air need to pass though the TB, intake, head and then valves so after all this the air is back to doing what it wants and the only thing that tornado did was restirct more air from entering the intake. the only way this phenomenon works is if it swirls in the combustion chamber itself, and its done from the shaping of the intake passage in the head. the new GM heads do this, thats why they are all called the Vortec engines. in this case a significant HP increase does result from the swirling air. if you open up one of these engines you can actually see a tornado pattern in the carbon deposits on the top of the pistons.

Autotechnica
12-09-2002, 10:32 PM
These designs were already used on many european cars years ago, starting from the early 80's.

Anyways, the fan doesn't spin on it's own, it has to be driven by the air being sucked in. Wouldn't that restrict airflow and ultimately kill your torque? The purpose of this product isn't to suck in more air, it's to create more turbulent air flow.

Anyways, I've read enough about this on other boards to realize that it doesn't work. Trust me, save your money.

The only product I thought was pretty cool and worth taking a look at was something called "exhaust cut offs" Basically what this is is a twin pipe design which comes before your cat. One pipe will run through your cat and your muffler and the other will simply bypass the cat and muffler leaving your exhaust complete unrestricted (kills torque). What you do is when your racing you wait till you hit higher RPM's then with the flick of a switch your exhaust flow is transfered to the unrestircted pipe. Very cool design.

Bryan

Bryan