PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Elite Driver?

DunDan
12-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Anybody seen this car sharing site Elite Drivers (http://www.elitedrivers.com) ? Apparently you can pool with other drivers to get a Lamborghini Murcielago, Ferrari 360 Modena, Porsche 911 Turbo and other cars. What do you guys think?

1BADBMW
12-05-2002, 02:52 PM
sounds good:huh?: , but if i could pay $4500 monthly and $30000 down, i would probabley buy the damn thing, like the modena and the lambo! don't you think?:huh?:

Rolled_Out
12-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Just anohter $$$ making scam....
Now, what happens if the car breaks down????????
WHO PAYS??? because these things break down WAY more than people think...

mkgino
12-05-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Rolled_Out
Just anohter $$$ making scam....
Now, what happens if the car breaks down????????
WHO PAYS??? because these things break down WAY more than people think...

Really?

moerom
12-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Its true..

Any sports car requires 100% more attention than any normal car. I know guys that buy these cars and treat them as if they are Golf's or something. Ferrari's need new timing chains every 50k, they need oil change ever 3-4k, they need new brake pads every 10-15k, they need lots of wax, they need long warmups and cool downs. People drive sports cars like they are daily drivers and then they are surprised when they break down. Sports cars have to be babied because they are in a high state of tune and balance. Even a slight amount of dis-alignment can be felt in a high class sports car (996TT, Modena, Murcielago), whereas in a civic, its not that easy to tell because the parts were never made to harmonize so precisely....

Older Ferrari's were notorious for breakdowns, but ever since the F355, Ferrari got its shit together.

Imagine the fights that arise when two people want the car for the same night. Or when a girl is like, "So where is your Lambo?" and then the guy is forced to say "Well its not really mine...."

BTW, Did anyone see the Pagani Zonda S vs. Murcielago video? I can't beleive how fast that Pagani is. It ate the Lambo by at least 15 car lengths or more by 160 mph...

Lil'Smoothie
12-08-2002, 01:04 AM
how stupid can ppl be, you do any of those plans for 2 yrs and you could prolly own the freaking car strait up, plus you know when ither drivers have the car they are beatin the hell out of it. I'd go thru sets of tries each day I'd have it, than who pays for that?

Plus you prolly get it during the inwter and shit when you shouldnt be able to drive the car

elitedrivers
12-10-2002, 12:46 PM
All prices on the Elite Drivers site are in Canadian funds. If you paid down $30,000 spent $4,995/mo, you'd be paying $209,820 over 3 years, and when the fleet is sold you'd get back about $60,000, making your total outlay $149,830 over 3 years. This price includes insurance and regular maintenance.

If you wanted to buy your own Murcielago, you'd have to obtain a car loan for about $410,000, vs. Elite Drivers' buy in of $121,500. These cars depreciate by that much just by driving off the lot.

If the cars need unscheduled maintenance, the owners have to pay for it. But this means you're splitting the maintenance costs with 6 other people, so the costs become much more manageable.

When you buy into one of our programs, you own the cars, not us. We don't retain any rights to the cars, we just manage them for you.

All drivers get equal time on the cars, and for exotics like the Ferrari, they're off the road in the winter. With the Titanium program, the driving time you see is concentrated all between April to October, meaning you're driving your cars for about half the summer- which if you ask people who have a Ferrari, is more time than they'd be driving for.

Not many people can afford to spend $120,000+ to drive an exotic car for a portion of the year, but we do have other programs, and all offer the same value: don't pay full price for an exotic car you only drive some of the time.

If you have any questions, feel free to check out our website at http://www.elitedrivers.com or contact me at nwarsh@elitedrivers.com.

Nathaniel Warsh

djcontra
12-10-2002, 05:10 PM
lol
i'd like to meet anyone who actually buys into this idea. I sure as heck wouldn't want to share an exotic car i put thousands of dollars into with 9 other people. Can you imagine what 9 other people are going to do with the car?? I dont even buy used cars that have had 9 previous owners...usually that tells me that there is something wrong with the car if there's been so many owners.
I think i'll save my money and just build another kit car. It might not be the real deal, but at least I wont have to share it with 9 other people, and I can drive it any time I want too =)

yellowmr2
12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Before making an upright conclusion on these guys, who by the way I contacted this was my weighing of the options:

Options 1: Buying one of the automobiles in the fleet

Negatives of these guys

Looking at the Lambo fleet if I were to purchase a Lambo I would have it anytime I want sitting in my garage, thats one up for purchasing. No one else gets to use it except me, thats two up for purchasing.

Positives of these guys

Running of numbers if anyone who has recently purchased or leased one of those vehicles, it would be about $41K down (10%) and getting a loan paying $11,500 a month 36 months for the Lambo. The 911 Turbo would be $19K down (10%) $5,300 a month 36 months. Leasing the cars would be cheaper but Lambo does not lease them and the lease rates are nasty, very much what they show on their page.

Then I considered the tax - again talking to Lamborghini you wont pay PST but you get dinged with about $30K in tax plus gas tax of $8K.

Then insurance - $13K for the year - Lambo.

Depreciation as soon as we drive off the lot at least 10% gone.

From a numbers game - unless I really have the money to really purchase one Im out of luck.

As for maintenance, they cover regular scheduled maintenance and since the cars are new, there is warranty on them. The scheduling is worked out to incorporate black out periods for emergiencies etc.

Option 2 - Renting

I can go rent any one of these cars, with experience - ie I rented a F-355 cost me $6K for the week, these cars range from $500 a day to over $2000 a day for the Lambo. Again I crunched the numbers and the value is in favour of them.

I did not really understand their market but it appears that they are an option between purchasing / leasing and renting. After I talked to them I realized that this is not only for the person who wants one of these cars, its the idea that you get access to the fleet and dont really go bored with just 1 car. I guess having rented the F-355, I know this is not one car I want to drive everyday and I sure would not spend over $200K to buy one just to let it sit in my garage for half the year. The cars on the list for the most part I would not want to drive everyday anyways, this kind of people already have everyday cars that most of us can't even afford. I dont know if I will join but my conclusion is they have an interesting and very well thought out system going for them.

yellowmr2

Eurostyle
12-11-2002, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry but I also dont get this cosept....If you have money, buy one! If not then whats the use??!!! There is an old saying that applys in this situation: "If you have to ask how much, you cant aford it!" Come on, these cars are made for people with enaugh money so they dont have to use it like a teenager sharing the car with mom and dad on a friday...

Rolled_Out
12-11-2002, 01:50 AM
haha yah right the price includes INSURANCE my assssss
do you knwo how much it costs to insure a ferrari 360 for example...? my friend is 19, and he is insured on his dads 360 spider, for 26,000 a year...

the ONLY way to own these cars is to be RICH...
theres no way around it, nothing in this world comes free or cheap... NOTHING.
get it? got it? good.

one more thing actually..
so, what kinds of cars have people bought into so far? how many clients do you have???

yellowmr2
12-11-2002, 10:34 AM
Ya looked into insurance. I see where they are coming from. To be in the club you have to be 25 years or older with a clean record. If you are under 25 insurance will be terrrible.

yellowmr2

DunDan
12-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Wow, I didn't expect this thread to turn out this way or else I would have posted a poll: "For or against exotic co-ownership program" but everyone has their opinion. I was simply forwarded the Elite Driver site and thought it would be an interesting option for the less dollar endowed people on this site to own a Lambo. I was expecting only a "That's cool" response from the max guys but was surprised to read a response from an Elite Drivers rep too. I would probably never buy a whole exotic car myself but its great to have this option around (if I win the lottery) especially in our neck of the woods!