PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed on how to wax?

Fast_Gal
12-04-2002, 07:33 PM
hi all,

I want to wax my car. Any suggestions on methods, steps, and products?
A friend of mine says it takes 5 hrs and someone else said they can do it in 1 hr? Who is right?
My biggest concern is what product name should i use as well as which cloths and/or sponges? I keep hearing people telling me to use mother's products.

thanks

Jon@Bimmersport
12-04-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Fast_Gal
hi all,

A friend of mine says it takes 5 hrs and someone else said they can do it in 1 hr? Who is right?
My biggest concern is what product name should i use as well as which cloths and/or sponges? I keep hearing people telling me to use mother's products.

thanks

bring it to my house, with $10 (not the one you owe me!) and i'll do it for ya!!

M50E30
12-04-2002, 08:22 PM
http://www.meguiarscanada.com/

Meguiars Gold Class worked pretty damn good on my dads new Honda Accord. Anyone else like/dislike Meguiars products?

Dave

Gamite
12-04-2002, 08:26 PM
HAH, I wouldnt let E46_Lover touch my car even if he paid me!! lol j/p

Ok seriously, here's the deal, the reason why it takes long to wax the car (5 hrs) is they go through a step by step process, dewaxer, clay bar, etc.. its only necessary once/year, most of the time you only need to wax the car, which only takes about an hour, it really helps if you have a electric buffer.

As for waxes, definately go with synthetic wax, carnuba is great for the shine, but it only lasts like a week, synthetic lasts much longer and protects better, unfortunately it doesnt shine as well. but I would only use carnuba if I was going to a show or something.

Mothers does have a synthetic wax now, but I would stick with Meguiars gold or Zymol, there are lots of other good waxes out there as I'm sure some of our members will recommend.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
HAH, I wouldnt let E46_Lover touch my car even if he paid me!! lol j/p

Ok seriously, here's the deal, the reason why it takes long to wax the car (5 hrs) is they go through a step by step process, dewaxer, clay bar, etc.. its only necessary once/year, most of the time you only need to wax the car, which only takes about an hour, it really helps if you have a electric buffer.

As for waxes, definately go with synthetic wax, carnuba is great for the shine, but it only lasts like a week, synthetic lasts much longer and protects better, unfortunately it doesnt shine as well. but I would only use carnuba if I was going to a show or something.

Mothers does have a synthetic wax now, but I would stick with Meguiars gold or Zymol, there are lots of other good waxes out there as I'm sure some of our members will recommend.

doesnt zynol require you to like strip the clear coat the first time or some shit? some guy on hondahookup did that!

Gamite
12-04-2002, 08:43 PM
strip the clear coat???? are you retarded?

Jon@Bimmersport
12-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
strip the clear coat???? are you retarded?

dont ask me if im retarded...go ask the guy on hondahookup!

NickP
12-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by M50E30

Meguiars Gold Class worked pretty damn good on my dads new Honda Accord. Anyone else like/dislike Meguiars products?

Dave

I like Meguiars as well... how is the gold compared to the regular red bottle Meguiars wax?

tlaselva
12-04-2002, 09:48 PM
I've currently got Zaino on my car.

It's received rave reviews, and my experience is it's as good as they say.

One day to my horror, I noticed bird excrement on my hood this summer. My concern was since my car is black, the paint does get hot in the sun, baking the vile object.
Once I got home. I pulled out the hose, and wet the car down to give it a wash. To my amazement, the vile object was gone, with just the water hose. Took a close look, and there was no trace of it!

Negatives: Time: It does take about 5 hours for the first 2 applications, which is minimum in the beginning. The prep work before the wax is applied is an hr or two in itself.
Cost: it is pricey.

Because of the commitment of time and money, I only recommend it to people who are anal about there car's finish, and have a dark car, especially Black. On a white car like yours, wax isn't as critical as it is to a Black car.

Link to Zaino if ur interested.
Zaino (http://www.zainobros.com/)

mkgino
12-04-2002, 10:57 PM
hi all,

thanks

I hear waxing a car works best when a girl does it in a bikini in front of my house :)

M50E30
12-05-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
I hear waxing a car works best when a girl does it in a bikini in front of my house :)

I bet if you give Jon an extra $5 he will wear a bikini for ya! LOL! Oh my god my sides hurt from laughing so hard! :D And my stomach is upset from the mental image!
:puke:

mkgino
12-05-2002, 12:13 AM

I bet if you give Jon an extra $5 he will wear a bikini for ya! LOL! Oh my god my sides hurt from laughing so hard! :D And my stomach is upset from the mental image!

Please no more nasty posts.

M50E30
12-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Please no more nasty posts.

Relax there buddy! Can't take a joke? :huh?:

Fast_Gal
12-05-2002, 12:27 AM

(Oh right just what i need, to freeze my pom poms off)

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming because i want to hear more. If anyone can write in some detail the steps required, that would be really helpful.

thanks

Gamite
12-05-2002, 12:28 AM

Great, thanks for putting that horid image in our heads..

Fast_Gal
12-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by tlaselva

Because of the commitment of time and money, I only recommend it to people who are anal about there car's finish, and have a dark car, especially Black. On a white car like yours, wax isn't as critical as it is to a Black car.

Link to Zaino if ur interested.
Zaino (http://www.zainobros.com/)

Well what is good for white cars?

Gamite
12-05-2002, 12:54 AM
white cars, red cars, black cars, if the wax is good, then it doesnt matter what colour your car is, unless you're using colour cure.

white has the least noticable streaks, scratches n water spots, so your fortunate.

330DTM
12-05-2002, 01:50 AM
I use a wax made by Blitz.
I believe it's synthetic b/c it lasted on my Volvo for about 4-6months.

The process is very long, but the results are worth it and you won't have to go over the waxing process over again till a couple months vs. weeks.

Not including the previous steps I do before waxing, Waxing takes me like 3hours or somewhere around there. I apply the wax w/an applicator pad in forward and backwards motion a couple times till i feel that there's a haze. Then I work on the next section.

I usually start w/the Roof and as I wait for the wax on the roof to settle, I work on the hood and trunk followed by the side body panels. I usually use a 100% terry cloth to wipe off the haze. Keep in mind that you want to change sides, refold or change the towel else you'll have trouble removing the excess haze after the drying process.

The steps I do prior to waxing include, Clay bar, using 100% terry cloth to wipe off the excess lubricant marks.
Klasse All in One , Klasse Sealant Glaze in which I have a Microfibre applicator and Microfibre towel to polish/wipe off the excess.

I use the back and forth motion for all applications even though some instructions say to do it in a circular motion.

Trust me, it's so much easier to wash the car after doing the polish/waxing process plus weekly or every other weekly washing of your car. The dirt just slides off once you spray water onto the body.

mkgino
12-05-2002, 02:16 AM
Best thing to get is a car buffer. I got this one from the states for about $30 usd and it is amazing. When I used to wax my car there would always be swirl marks all over, and I could never do it properly. It always made me think why people would waxx their cars in the first place, when it would come out looking like crap. With this hand held buffer though, the finish is amazing. There are no swirl marks and it takes me like 30-40 min to do the whole car!!

Here is the thread.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6306&highlight=buffer

If anyone wants their car buffed, thats a $20 dollar charge please.

Jeroen
12-05-2002, 04:18 AM
You can find some info on these sites,

http://www.autodetail.com/
http://www.properautocare.com/
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/

:)

thinair
12-08-2002, 03:08 PM

Dave

I used Gold Class on my car, I can't really compare it to anything else, but it did make my car superly shine, and it made the finish really slippery to the touch. I also use 100% cotton terry cloths for everything.

bart320i
12-11-2002, 04:59 PM
I went into car buffs in square one the other day and saw a jar of zymol on display. I checked the price $670:eek: . What is so special about this product. why is it so expensive

Phantom
12-11-2002, 05:56 PM
hi all,

thanks

I use Mothers.....its not bad.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=804&highlight=finally+replaced

Soldo
12-11-2002, 07:38 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO, no car buffers, they're terrible, a REAL wax job need to be done by hand, trust me!!!
when using a car buffer it takes too much maintenance, cause you gotta make sure theres NO dust or dirt on the buffer, or you scrath the car, etc. also, use a %100 cotton T-shit, a plain one, they work GREAT!!!!!!
and remember do it like the KARATE KID....... WAX ON, WAX OFF!
*shiner* *shiner*

mkgino
12-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
NOOOOOOOOOOO, no car buffers, they're terrible, a REAL wax job need to be done by hand, trust me!!!
when using a car buffer it takes too much maintenance, cause you gotta make sure theres NO dust or dirt on the buffer, or you scrath the car, etc. also, use a %100 cotton T-shit, a plain one, they work GREAT!!!!!!
and remember do it like the KARATE KID....... WAX ON, WAX OFF!
*shiner* *shiner*

Dude, when you do it by hand you leave tons of swirl marks all over the car, with a buffer you cant see anything. And waxing a car by hand will scratch it just as much as a buffer will if its not washed.

Soldo
12-11-2002, 09:03 PM
your hand doesn't leave more swirls, if it does your not doin it right, or you need a secon coating!!!
nah man, just trust me, i have a buddy, who has a classical car, so he's ALL ABOUT the perfect shine, he says buffers are terrible, its just lazyness, and its true!!
if you don't clean the buffer cloth, PROPERLY, and dirt gets left behind, cause, you KNOW it does, it scratches the car, and since it spins A LOT faster than your hand (i think buffers do about 3500 rpm's, while your hand does like 25 rpm!!), so clearly it can't be good for anybody!!!
seriously, ask any HARDCORE car guy thats ALL ABOUT detailing, and they'll all tell you the same!!!!
why wouldn't a bottle of mothers, SUGGEST using a buffer for best results!!!!*no-no*

ROB89M3
12-11-2002, 09:14 PM
Fast_Gal,
I use a product called "world's best wax".I bought it at Autobahn car salon on Finch + Dufferin.They have 2 kinds. One that smells like watermelon,and the other mango. It is by far the best wax I have ever used cuz it leaves a silky smooth finish. It is easy to apply and easy to remove. It lasts only for 1 month so you gotta apply it every month.They use it on only exotic cars.

Before you apply any wax to your car,make sure you get it buffed to clean the paint. Use a high speed polisher.This will leave the paint clean. You don't want to wax dirty paint. This will cause pitting in the paint.

Most people skip that polishing step and just wax. For best results,first make sure your paint has been polished. You only should polish the paint once or twice annually.I usually get my M3 polished by a detailing shop.

here is a pic of the wax I use:

mkgino
12-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
your hand doesn't leave more swirls, if it does your not doin it right, or you need a secon coating!!!
nah man, just trust me, i have a buddy, who has a classical car, so he's ALL ABOUT the perfect shine, he says buffers are terrible, its just lazyness, and its true!!
if you don't clean the buffer cloth, PROPERLY, and dirt gets left behind, cause, you KNOW it does, it scratches the car, and since it spins A LOT faster than your hand (i think buffers do about 3500 rpm's, while your hand does like 25 rpm!!), so clearly it can't be good for anybody!!!
seriously, ask any HARDCORE car guy thats ALL ABOUT detailing, and they'll all tell you the same!!!!
why wouldn't a bottle of mothers, SUGGEST using a buffer for best results!!!!*no-no*

Umm, the buffer I use, uses one time spunges that you throw away after one coat.

DaveM3
12-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Here's what I used to do to wax my car
1. wash the car with dish washing liquid - to strip old wax out of the car and some of them road debris (tar etc)
2. dry the car blabla
3. use prewax (meguiars, p21s)
4. then wax (use buffer if you have one, it really saves some time)

Oh and do this in the weekend and expect spending 5hr+ doing it, dont rush it! take your time (thats why do it in weekend :) )
most important thing dont wax it in direct sunlight, do it in the garage

Result (not the best pic, but you get the point :D) :

mkgino
12-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by DaveM3
Here's what I used to do to wax my car
1. wash the car with dish washing liquid - to strip old wax out of the car and some of them road debris (tar etc)
2. dry the car blabla
3. use prewax (meguiars, p21s)
4. then wax (use buffer if you have one, it really saves some time)

Oh and do this in the weekend and expect spending 5hr+ doing it, dont rush it! take your time (thats why do it in weekend :) )
most important thing dont wax it in direct sunlight, do it in the garage

Result (not the best pic, but you get the point :D) :

Why do u have plates from Ohio on your car?

DaveM3
12-12-2002, 05:31 PM

Why do u have plates from Ohio on your car?

Because I dont have Ontario plate :D

mkgino
12-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by DaveM3

Because I dont have Ontario plate :D

Wow, funny. But seriously why?

Soldo
12-12-2002, 07:03 PM
see, buffers are just for saving time, all the best things are done by hand (including self sex!!), BTW, DAVE M3, one word about that SHINE on your car buddy, *mw* *mw* , WOW!!!!
i can see my reflection in it, even though its still a picture!!!!!