PDA

View Full Version : control arm question e30

Jase
12-04-2002, 05:21 PM
I have had two reponses and need the right answer...
to replace the ball joints on a e30 do you NEED to replace the whole control arm?. Just wondering since they are like 450 a side.
that is a unforseen expense. I have already bought tie rod ends and a steering rack

NickP
12-04-2002, 09:24 PM
You can replace just the ball joints but most don't since its more cost effective to just get the whole arm.

Check ebay, you can usually get a pair of Lemforder control arms (this is the manufacturer BMW uses, its the exact same the dealership sells) for about $130 USD.

Actually here's the link: here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873956553)

M50E30
12-05-2002, 05:10 PM
I just get my ball joints replaced for $100 (cash per side) Canadian funds. How long do the new controll arm/ball joints last?

NickP
12-05-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by M50E30
I just get my ball joints replaced for $100 (cash per side) Canadian funds. How long do the new controll arm/ball joints last?

That's a good deal. If you're doing the work yourself though or don't know the history of the car (previous owner might have curbed & tweaked the control arm) I'd get the whole arms.

How long they last depends on driving style, BMWCCA recommends changing the ball joints or the arms every two years if you autocross the car.

Lil'Smoothie
12-07-2002, 06:39 PM
I just bought ball joints, you can replace just the ball joints, not the whole control arm usually, sometimes its hard to pop em out so ive heard

do donuts cause wear on ur Ball joints?