PDA

View Full Version : Transmission self-learning?

Jesse
12-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Weird thing happened to me the other day...

Since its been cold out, my car has been shifting tough and long, it takes a while before it smooths out and changes quickly.

I figured, it was just because the tranny fluid was cold, until, the electronic transmission module light went on on the dash, turned the car off, turned it back on, the light was off.

Ever since then, the gears don't hesitate at all when its cold - isn't that weird?

Is it possible the tranny detected that is had problems and reset itself? I've heard that these things self-learn in different conditions, does that include weather?

Jess

djcontra
12-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Not just the transmission, but the whole car adapts to different temperatures outside and also to your driving style.
Sometimes I find my car will run really rough or not exactly the way I want it to, so I reset the ECU by unplugging my battery for an hour or so and then plug it back in. After a short 20km drive the car usually relearns my driving style (hard!) and runs alot smoother than before.
It could be possible that our auto tranny's do the same thing since they have their own little eeprom too.

330DTM
12-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Hm, I know for one thing with temperatures we experience nowadays, if I were to drive my car as the engine is still cold, it reacts way different then when the engine is warmer.

B/C I had an auto tranny on my car, it had the tendency to do delay shifts. Meaning if I put like 1/4 throttle or a bit less and rpms go to about 2300rpm on 1st, sometimes it won't shift unless I bring the revs up higher to just under 3000rpm or I let go of the gas pedal and sometimes it'll either change to 2nd gear or it won't, depends how you do it. Most likely it's what you said, the tranny fluid is cold.

However, after the car is up to warm operating temperature the tranny shifts fine and smoothly, no delays.

It usually takes some time before the car is up to proper operating temperatures.

As for the tranny light, I never had that experience

bmwm5lover
12-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM
Hm, I know for one thing with temperatures we experience nowadays, if I were to drive my car as the engine is still cold, it reacts way different then when the engine is warmer.

B/C I had an auto tranny on my car, it had the tendency to do delay shifts. Meaning if I put like 1/4 throttle or a bit less and rpms go to about 2300rpm on 1st, sometimes it won't shift unless I bring the revs up higher to just under 3000rpm or I let go of the gas pedal and sometimes it'll either change to 2nd gear or it won't, depends how you do it. Most likely it's what you said, the tranny fluid is cold.

However, after the car is up to warm operating temperature the tranny shifts fine and smoothly, no delays.

It usually takes some time before the car is up to proper operating temperatures.

As for the tranny light, I never had that experience
THATS why I(the smart guy) bought an 5spd

thinair
12-04-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
It could be possible that our auto tranny's do the same thing since they have their own little eeprom too.

This is true, the auto tranny's are adaptive depending on how you drive. It's pretty blunt, my mom notices how her car really delays all the shifts (and locks the torque converter earlier) after I've driven it.

330DTM
12-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover

THATS why I(the smart guy) bought an 5spd

Heh, FYI, the Bimmer was my parent's car so I didn't have a choice :P Dad knows how to drive manual, but not my mom and sis :mad: :mad:

bmwm5lover
12-05-2002, 08:40 AM
i was just playin bro, no hard feelings.

330DTM
12-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
i was just playin bro, no hard feelings.

It's cool *par-t*

My parents used to have an E28 535i similar to yours back then! It was a beauty!

If you want a set of winter rims and tires pm me or whatever b/c I have a set sitting in my garage. They fit on your model for sure! Dying to sell them. hehe