PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wipers

SickFinga
12-03-2002, 09:53 PM
ok, i bought my windshield wipers about 9months ago, and they are gone already. I bought the most expensive available in Canadian Tire, some super-mego-macro-extra-teflon wipers and damn they suck.
I think Julian or Brian recommended me wipers from a dealer.
Anyone know which ones to get??? and how much are those dealer's wipers?

My wipers only use just the top and the bottom part, center doesn't even touch the glass. :mad: :mad:

Bill Gates
12-03-2002, 10:04 PM
if i recall, the dealer one's are bosch. i think i paid $16 /ea. they are very good....

M50E30
12-03-2002, 10:11 PM
Go with the dealer ones. Yes they are more expensive but they are designed for the car and use quality materials (BTW - you can get refills of the rubber part for the factory Bosch wipers). All aftermarket ones are cheap crap. Be glad that you got 9 months out of them.

MP328
12-03-2002, 10:21 PM
i bought the so called "winter" wipers which are fully covered with rubber in Costco i used them last winter and worked great then took them off and put the old originals ones on thru summer. and now i put those "winter" ones back on. and they actually work they never froze so far :)*th-up* actually work better then the originals cuz they're (original) worn.

only thing on the highway they vibrate a bit because they are fully covered and air goes over them not thru. but they still work great on the highway.

edit; they were around 15$ for the pair i think

maverick
12-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Bosch wipers are the best ive found.

Jase
12-11-2002, 10:50 PM
might sound stupid but I waxed my windshield and I have never replaced my wipers, the water beads on the windshield. might not be why they have lasted but it works for me( mine are cdn tire ones)

BMW_M52_M20
12-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Go Bosch, I always buy them and have had the best luck. I think is what the dealer uses as well.
Jay

Slowered318
12-12-2002, 04:52 AM
Bosch metal wipers and RainX.. you can't go wrong! The water beads off half the time so your wipers will last longer.

And don't use the wipers to scrape ice off the windshield that beats them up pretty bad.

WASABI
12-12-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Slowered318
Bosch metal wipers and RainX.. you can't go wrong! The water beads off half the time so your wipers will last longer.

I second that! That RainX stuff works and during hard downpours while on the highway, you can get away without wipers.*th-up*

DaveM3
12-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Here's a tip for ya
try cleaning the rubber with a rubbing alcohol (no not whiskey :P)
it might help a bit..
also if you really want to prolong your wiper blade life
in the summer take off your "new" wiper blade and put your old one. Reason? in the summer sun is shining onto your car can cause your wiper blade to harden. Beside it doesnt rain "that" much in the summer anyway :)

I did this and I still have my old wiper blade that I had since umm 2 years ago? :P

Hope this helps

mkgino
12-12-2002, 04:47 PM
Man I need new wipers too!

DunDan
12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
BMW (Bosch) OEM wipers are the best so far. I've been using mine for 2 years and they are great but it's about time to change them too. My other cars use Canadian Tire stuff and they go one season cuz they are really made of low quality materials. My suggestion is to get BMW blades, instead of wasting your time constantly switching summer to winter wipers and applying rainX. Anybody know the part numbers for the rubber inserts?

DunDan
12-12-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Jase
might sound stupid but I waxed my windshield and I have never replaced my wipers, the water beads on the windshield. might not be why they have lasted but it works for me( mine are cdn tire ones)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I polish and wax my window too with my car. The best way to see clearly is to keep your windshield smooth and clean. Normal dirt and grim will scratch and pit your window so more dirt accumulates. Also dirty wipers will also make grooves on the glass coating and be less effective.