PDA

View Full Version : I Need Info! Please Read!

bmwm5lover
12-03-2002, 09:36 PM
hey, umm.the thing is that my BRAND NEW radiator cracked on right side(when ur facing the car), and my whole system is frozen...i havent touched the car(tried starting it) since i found out today. what should i do, can it be repaired, and if it can be repaired, plz tell me where i can get it done cheap!!! PLEASE and THANK YOU!

M50E30
12-03-2002, 09:52 PM
Well if it is a new rad then bring it back and get another one. If not then get it recored at a quality rad shop. Hell I recored my '73 2002 rad for $150 cash!

bmwm5lover
12-03-2002, 10:21 PM
the previous owner changed it a few months back.....what does recored mean???? and where did u get it fixed for 150??? tell me so i can make plans..also, u cant start or move thwe car when its int hios kind of condition?

M50E30
12-03-2002, 10:25 PM
To recore means that they take the rad out and use the old tanks (on each side) and replace the middle. Just hope that your tanks are ok. Where did I get mine done? Well down here in the Niagara Falls area. There should be a good rad shop around you (but go to a small one where you can deal in cash).

bmwm5lover
12-04-2002, 10:12 AM
My tanks are the ones that are cracked, and for a new one its 375 plus labour..now im looking at sumting used, but there is a risk tho, it maybe plugged, or it just may crack again...... Also, anyone here selling a rad for an e28??????Anyone know a shop where i can get it used? All help appreciated.

M50E30
12-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
My tanks are the ones that are cracked, and for a new one its 375 plus labour..now im looking at sumting used, but there is a risk tho, it maybe plugged, or it just may crack again...... Also, anyone here selling a rad for an e28??????Anyone know a shop where i can get it used? All help appreciated.

I called my mechanic and he doesn't have a used one. He said that $375 is a pretty good price for a new one. Should only take an hour labour and some coolant.

bmwm5lover
12-04-2002, 05:24 PM
thanx bro, i appreciated, i myself have been on the phone all day, and i have pretyty much called every RaD place in the GTA are, and a few out of it. no one seems to have used or rebuild, mine cant be fixed, also, yes, thats the price i got 375, plus ~$70 to get it installed. I have a bud of mine that has an e28 thats being parted out that will check his for me, if his is no good, than ill have to spend the $400+..........:mad: :(

Kal
12-04-2002, 05:49 PM
its 'priceless' in ur sig not priseless

:D

M50E30
12-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah. Your rad tanks are plastic. Can't get those recored. Bummer.

bmwm5lover
12-04-2002, 05:58 PM
i know eh, when i looked at it i was like WTF????? And you know what, my dads volvo's rad, is like 90% the same, same plastic tanks....damn them...cant be repaired......*mumble* *mumble* *mumble* *mumble* *mumble* *mumble*
thanx a lot for your help, i appreciate it, but u moght know how frustrating it is, and its a brand new rad, lie 4-5 mths old...

bmwm5lover
12-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Kal
its 'priceless' in ur sig not priseless

:D
oops....thanx.*th-up* :idea: :cool:

NickP
12-04-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
hey, umm.the thing is that my BRAND NEW radiator cracked on right side(when ur facing the car), and my whole system is frozen...i havent touched the car(tried starting it) since i found out today. what should i do, can it be repaired, and if it can be repaired, plz tell me where i can get it done cheap!!! PLEASE and THANK YOU!

Ask for a quote from The Radman on Yonge Street, they're between Steeles and Finch. They've given me better prices than what you've been quoted for new. For a price reference, I've gotten a new all copper Volvo Rad for $220 or so.

For used try Chuck's, Shantaram and Cookstown Auto.

And it sounds like it cracked because your system was filled with pure water and no coolant/anti freeze. Who did that?

bmwm5lover
12-04-2002, 08:25 PM
yes, thats true, the raad was changed a while bac, and they topped it off with normal water. can i please have chucks number, i used ot have it but lost it. my car was 90% of the time serviced at chucks by the previous owner.

bmwm5lover
12-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Ok guys, thanx for all ur replys, info, help, and time. I have found a rad, and at such a good price that its a steal. tomorrow im going to go look at it, and if its as good as the guy says, buy it....

bmwm5lover
12-08-2002, 04:33 PM
GOT THE RAD!!!!!!Next to new condiition! Im towing it to the shop sumtime begining of this week!

bmwm5lover
12-09-2002, 10:39 PM
I took it today, next thing, at 5pm today they called me and told me its all ready! Im picking it up tomorrow. Thanx guys!