PDA

View Full Version : 2000 328ci

audiophilia
12-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Hi Guys:

Looking to buy a dealer's 2000 328CI, maybe as soon as this Friday. I am quite excited about my first BMW and would like to keep a clear head. Any ideas for negotiation would be very much appreciated.

FYI: Topaz Blue, premium package, HK stereo, DCS (sp?), xenons, etc. 58,000 kms, clear maintenance record, $37500.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-03-2002, 07:57 PM
37G?!?! are u paying by cheque or financing/leasing?

mkgino
12-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
37G?!?! are u paying by cheque or financing/leasing?

What do you think its a $3000 civic he is buying? What dealership are you purchasing it from? 37G's sounds like a fair price w/o taxes. I bought my car from downtown BMW when it was 3 years old with 42k for about 35G's. So you have a good price there. Just make sure its manual transmission, or you will have the fun taken out of the driving experience.

audiophilia
12-03-2002, 08:13 PM
5 speed! Of course:-)

Jon@Bimmersport
12-03-2002, 08:20 PM
mkgino you fool, i was wondering if hes paying with cash, because if he was, he could have used it as a downpayment on a new 330ci or 325ci! idiot!

audiophilla, which dealer is this?

SpudBoy
12-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Nice Choice *th-up*

Seems like a fair deal, maybe a little high. If you buy the car outright then use cash as a bargaining tool. You should be able to save a few hundred bucks. Also if trading in, negociate a trade-in price before you make an offer on the newer car. They will get the price they expect for the newer car but they might get a real deal on your trade-in. Make sure you let them know that you know this.

Good luck with your new baby.
regards,

audiophilia
12-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Hope the deal works out. I've wanted a BMW for many years. My Civic was so reliable and has remained in such good condition that it would have been silly to part with it. Even now, my wife will drive it. It's in as good condition as her 2001 Sentra SE Sports I'm trading.

M50E30
12-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by audiophilia
58,000 kms

I'm no E46 expert at all and i'm too lazy to compare on the www.trader.ca site, but isn't 58,000km in two years abit high? Thats 29,000km per year.

Bill Gates
12-03-2002, 10:13 PM
when i was shopping for my e36, it had 48k on it and paid in the same price range. i found it hard to bargain with the sales people when it comes to used bimmers, because there's always someone willing to buy it at their asking price. i knew someone at Maranello so i got an amazing deal. however, the service there sucks! *no-no*

1) for that price, i'm assuming its a certified series.
2) if you can't negotiate the price, then get them to throw in extended warranty or cut you a deal (half price) off ext. warranty or something. if your going to buy/finance, make sure you get the extended warranty! it will pay for itself with 2 major claims, trust me....

good luck and excellent choice! *th-up*

crusher
12-03-2002, 10:47 PM
if 37G's the dealers price try to get it down to 1k etc... and request for some stuff hehe, good time to ask for winter mats and free winter prep.

But anyways, thats still a good price there.

Jeff

audiophilia
12-03-2002, 11:26 PM
Many thanks for the replies. It seems to be a good deal, and the car is a dream! It is a Certified Series, so I get 'till 2006 on the warranty.

mkgino
12-03-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by audiophilia
Many thanks for the replies. It seems to be a good deal, and the car is a dream! It is a Certified Series, so I get 'till 2006 on the warranty.

Usually when you buy from the dealer you can almost be sure that your getting a good car, and not a lemon. I mean there are always exceptions, but when getting it from a dealer you pay a little extra for some piece of mind. Just be a little careful. If the car was leased (as mine was before I bought it) there is a chance the person who owned it beat up on it since they would return the car anyway. What you should do is this. Go and inspect the car and when you are doing so, write down the VIN number from under the hood or below the winshield on the drivers side (on the outside of it). Then when you leave, call another bmw dealership and ask for the service history of the car by giving them the VIN, and you can see what problems the car has had. That's what I did before I bought my car and believe it or not, it was serviced before for a couple of things. Like the window kept f*cking up (and it still does). Just be careful.*th-up*

crusher
12-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by mkgino

Like the window kept f*cking up (and it still does). Just be careful.*th-up*

mkgino, what do you mean by window keeps f*cking up? Is it squiking or is it just f*cked like doesn't wanna go up or down? Cuz mine does that squiking sound after it rain or after you wash it.

Jeff *shiner*

mkgino
12-04-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by crusher

mkgino, what do you mean by window keeps f*cking up? Is it squiking or is it just f*cked like doesn't wanna go up or down? Cuz mine does that squiking sound after it rain or after you wash it.

Jeff *shiner*

Its really weird and only does it sometimes. What happens is that the window as it rolls up about 1/2 way it slips back down a little bit and then stops rolling up. then when I hit the button to roll up again, it goes up all the way. BMW said it was some $4 dollar clips that the window sits on that raise the window, and they are broken, but not completely broken. In any case, I can fix it myself, but never had the time to.

Jeroen
12-04-2002, 04:10 AM

Its really weird and only does it sometimes. What happens is that the window as it rolls up about 1/2 way it slips back down a little bit and then stops rolling up. then when I hit the button to roll up again, it goes up all the way. BMW said it was some $4 dollar clips that the window sits on that raise the window, and they are broken, but not completely broken. In any case, I can fix it myself, but never had the time to.

I think it has something to do with the safety device wich lowers the windows in case something gets trapped.I actually had it happen two times this summer when closing the soft top, when top is closed the windows will close automatically but passenger window went down about 1 inch.Had to use window button to close it.:rolleyes:

Maybe this will help,found it on Roadfly.
Was the window initialized? To do this you must push and hold the button until the window opens all the way, then push and hold until the window closes all the way and continue to push the button for about ten seconds in the fully closed position. See if this works.

Betray
12-04-2002, 12:17 PM
shit i wish i saw this car, i woulda bought it over the truck!

Miguel
12-04-2002, 01:36 PM
another trick is to get the used vehicle information package and CALL the previous owners. You will be amazed at how brutally honest they can in terms of how they drove it, why they traded it in, and how well they maintained it! just my $0.02 for extra peace of mind.

Bill Gates
12-04-2002, 06:43 PM

mkgino, the exact same thing happened to my car. fortunately, my car was still under warranty and i remember bringing it back to Maranello's 3 times to get the damn thing fixed. finally they just replaced the regulator motor and its worked ever since.

then it happened to the other side :mad: i didn't have time to bring it in and it was the passenger side so it didn't really bother me as much. but after a while, i would roll up, and it would stop 2 or 3 times before it reached to top. then it totally died! brought it to Chucks and they had to replace the motor because it was chewed up and the regulator as well.
my advice would be to get it fixed right away, or you'll mess up your motor.

mkgino
12-04-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
another trick is to get the used vehicle information package and CALL the previous owners. You will be amazed at how brutally honest they can in terms of how they drove it, why they traded it in, and how well they maintained it! just my $0.02 for extra peace of mind.

I did that too, well for other 328is' that I looked at that were private sales. The one I bought was leased so no contact info from the used car package.

Miguel
12-04-2002, 09:17 PM
really?!? I didn't know that leasee's names dont appear on used Vehicle Info packages... thats shitty. Im really picky about cars I buy, must be 1 owner, full-service history, must have good carfax, cant be owned by dealer/mechanic (nobody that has knowledge to rollback odometer hopefully), must be owned and driven by a mature driver (ol' farts preffered), good U.V.I.P. etc.. I learned the hard way*thmbsdwn*

mkgino
12-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
really?!? I didn't know that leasee's names dont appear on used Vehicle Info packages... thats shitty. Im really picky about cars I buy, must be 1 owner, full-service history, must have good carfax, cant be owned by dealer/mechanic (nobody that has knowledge to rollback odometer hopefully), must be owned and driven by a mature driver (ol' farts preffered), good U.V.I.P. etc.. I learned the hard way*thmbsdwn*

No their name isnt on there if its leased, since BMW still owned the car at that time. But its ok, I found out after that a chinese woman owned the car, which isnt that bad. But you still never know, it could have been her street racing son's car who put type R stickers all over it, or who mowed some asian pie in the back seat for all I know. In any case you never know. I mean I went to see this 98 ///M3 before I bought my car and the car had new front tires, and bald rear tires (i.e smoke shows) and one fender was missing the VIN number (accident). Not only that when I got the used car package, the car still had like 2 Lins or Leans or something where he owed money on the car!! So you really have to be careful.