PDA

View Full Version : m5 rims (peeling)

sixxdog
12-03-2002, 04:29 PM
ok ,i have m5 rims and the finish is peeling really bad..
can they be refinished, or should i just get them polished, would it be cheeper and would the rims look good.. anybody got any ideas, the car is put away for the winter and i would like to fix up the rims, i havent looked in to grtting them fixed yet,i thought i would start here and see if anybody had any suggestions..

djcontra
12-03-2002, 04:44 PM
What is peeling off exactly? chrome?

i saw some replica m5 rims at wheels direct and they looked like chrome but the sales guy said that it's a paint that ''looks'' like chrome but is much easier to put on and less expensive.
If that's all it is, then i'm sure a place like theirs can refinish that one for you. It'll probably be $100 more or less considering i can get my rims redipped in real chrome for about $225 each

MP328
12-03-2002, 06:06 PM
sorry i dont really have an answer to the question just a comment.

last spring i wanted to buy the same wheels, offcourse replicas but there was only one company that sold them i forgot the name now. and even the salesman and everyone i talked to told me that the wheels start peeling off after a few months. so i backed out of that.

M50E30
12-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Damn that sucks man! I have heard that on alot of forums. If they have the "shadow chrome" like the real M5 wheels I bet you are looking at some serious money to fix them, if it is possible. Or if they are chrome then just get them replated.

Good luck man,
Dave
*th-up*

sixxdog
12-04-2002, 01:43 PM
the rims arent chrome at all, they have what looks like a satin finish on them or their painted like that..they were on the car when i bought it and i dont no if there real m5 rims or not..i have seen aftermarket m5 rims but they were always chrome and mine arent.. so i dont no if polishing them is even an option..maybe i will get them chromed, im thinking if i just get them repainted that they will eventually peel again and i dont want to keep spending money on them, id rather spend the cash on future mods.. any ideas anyone...........

bart320i
12-04-2002, 02:58 PM
get them polished or just powder coat them black

325Ryan
12-04-2002, 04:04 PM
polish them. I think that black rims is a waste. why get gorgeous rims and make it so no one can see them?

sixxdog
12-04-2002, 06:05 PM
no way im going to paint them,polishing them sounds the best so far, i just hope they turn out good!!!but when there polished will they get pitted or something because theres no finish on them to protect them?

M50E30
12-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by sixxdog
no way im going to paint them,polishing them sounds the best so far, i just hope they turn out good!!!but when there polished will they get pitted or something because theres no finish on them to protect them?

I think you can get a clear powder coat. I'm going Friday to get some wheels powder coated and I will ask for you.

Dave

Furious
12-04-2002, 11:48 PM
i was talking to the guys at wheels direct and they admitted to having a huge invetory of bad M5 rims. the problem was knowing which ones were good and which were bad. :huh?: ,, Their fix to this problem was that if they peel bring them back. (but within the year).*thmbsdwn*

M3_Styles
12-09-2002, 03:09 AM
get them polished
and find out if in fact they are real m5 rims or not
im curious cuz i thought they were real m5 rims

sixxdog
12-09-2002, 07:38 PM
yeah but how do i know if therereal or not, is there some kind of number on them and where would it be....

Pedro91'318i
12-09-2002, 11:14 PM
Ive seen some with ///M badges on the rims themselves and the copies that ive seen dont have the ///M badges. i dont know if that helps at all but that what ive seen.
These dont show a badge on them (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874109703)
on this pic under the logo you can see the small badge
m5 wheel (http://www.elegant-images.net/images/M5_BZ98291/Wheel.JPG)
hope that helps somewhat*th-up*

sixxdog
12-11-2002, 04:16 PM
yeah, mine have the mbadge on them,but i thought i seen fake ones on ebay with the badge, unless the photo is of real m5 rims and the ones they actually sell dont come with the badge. does anyone no how to distinguish between the real deal and fake after market ones...

WASABI
12-11-2002, 04:31 PM
If they were real M5 rims, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit your car because of the offset. Unless you know or can tell that your fenders have been modified significantly.

I saw a pic somewhere of 5 series rims on a 3 series, and they stick out quite a bit, almost 1/2 inch front and back. You can buy ///M badges, so I wouldn't count on that. I think most BMW OEM wheels are stamped with their logo somewhere on the rim.

Getting them polished might be expensive because of its design, you might be better off getting them powdercoated at Byer Bush, PM empowerd for more info.

Luke WL.
12-13-2002, 10:41 AM
hey sixxdog, just a few questions about your car, do you have a bod kit? (im assuming so) how much is it lowered and what setup do you have? and do you ever have any trouble driving arround worrying about potholes or speedbumps? thanks

spd_7
12-13-2002, 02:18 PM
ok ,i have m5 rims and the finish is peeling really bad..
can they be refinished, or should i just get them polished, would it be cheeper and would the rims look good.. anybody got any ideas, the car is put away for the winter and i would like to fix up the rims, i havent looked in to grtting them fixed yet,i thought i would start here and see if anybody had any suggestions..

Are you using a rim cleaner?
I found if you are you have to rinse well and wipe them down.This stopped my peeling.

sixxdog
12-13-2002, 05:15 PM
hey luke, its got an ///m3 body kit 18inch rims with 225/40s. h&r lowering springs bilstienshocks in the rear, im not sure whats up front or the lowering job because i bought it like that,as far as pot holes go and going in and out of driveways its tricky you need to keep your eyes peeled, if your driving fast and hit pot holes or train tracks the tires will rub and the sound of the suspension bottoming out is brutal,another thing no fatties in the back seat or you get tire rub over bumps in the road,oh yeah no fatties in the front seat either(its a bimmer,no fat chicks period.)I was thinking on getting air shocks that way if ive got people in back seats i can pump them up with air to give me some clearence, i dont no if it would work or not, any suggestions any one.... if i wanted a 2 seater i would have bought something else..

sixxdog
12-13-2002, 05:21 PM
when i first got the car i yoused cleaner, but for months now i just soap them down and wipe,i see youve got them on your car to ,how bad are youres, mine are brutal i thinking on just striping the rest of the finish off them so they all look the same, id like to get them polished but it depends how much...

spd_7
12-14-2002, 10:07 AM
when i first got the car i yoused cleaner, but for months now i just soap them down and wipe,i see youve got them on your car to ,how bad are youres, mine are brutal i thinking on just striping the rest of the finish off them so they all look the same, id like to get them polished but it depends how much...

Mine aren't bad.
2 wheels each have a very small spot.
Still it's a piss off.