PDA

View Full Version : How to disable Daytime Running Lights?


thinair
12-03-2002, 09:43 AM
What do I need, a US or Euro relay of some sort? I want to hook my ellipsoid city light and disable my corner lights, so I won't really need the daytime ones running. Plus I like the option of having no lights when the car is on.

thinair
12-03-2002, 10:02 AM
I think I just figured it out, I forgot I had the wiring diagrams for the e36's laying around. It's seems that all I need is a US or Euro high beam relay, and possibly a fog light relay, or make a couple key wire snips....

If anyone knows of a proper procedure, let me know.

The wiring diagrams also show how to get rid of the foglight relay so they don't go out when you use the highbeams, not that i want to do that. Appearently having more then 4 seperate lamps lit on the front of a car is illegal (corner lights don't count).

It also shows how do wire up the rear foglights (euro style), which would be cool.

KIRASIR
12-03-2002, 10:34 AM
There has been a number of discussions in the past regarding this matter. All you need is a US high beam relay. It costs about 30 bucks from the dealer, and is located under the steering wheel.

Serge

thinair
12-03-2002, 10:45 AM
cool, thanks

One other question now, in Europe, the corner lights go out when the headlights are on, how do I pull that off? (I don't want those city lights to be always on...) Another relay I'm assuming, but I only have the US and Canadian diagrams.

KIRASIR
12-03-2002, 10:53 AM
I don't have the euro diagram infront of me but the easiest way would be to just cut the wires for the city lights at the corner lights. I think euro models use 2 wire conner light connectors anyway, while the city light wire is connected to a little 5watt bulb inside the headlight.

SL

Originally posted by thinair
cool, thanks

One other question now, in Europe, the corner lights go out when the headlights are on, how do I pull that off? (I don't want those city lights to be always on...) Another relay I'm assuming, but I only have the US and Canadian diagrams.

thinair
12-03-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
I don't have the euro diagram infront of me but the easiest way would be to just cut the wires for the city lights at the corner lights. I think euro models use 2 wire conner light connectors anyway, while the city light wire is connected to a little 5watt bulb inside the headlight.

SL



That'll work for when I only have the parking lights on, but when I turn on my headlights, the city light AND the low beam light will be on, right? That's what I'm trying to avoid. Unless the ellipsoid unit itself has a relay in it that turns off the city light when the lowbeam comes on......

KIRASIR
12-03-2002, 11:51 AM
Yup, when you turn your low beams on the voltage for the city lights is till present. There are no relays in the headlight itself, but you should be able to splice one into the same wires that power the lowbeam relay.

SL

Originally posted by thinair


That'll work for when I only have the parking lights on, but when I turn on my headlights, the city light AND the low beam light will be on, right? That's what I'm trying to avoid. Unless the ellipsoid unit itself has a relay in it that turns off the city light when the lowbeam comes on......

thinair
12-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Hmm, that'd work too. I still want to find out how the Euro e36's do it. I guess I could just leave the city lights on all the time for the time being (shouldn't look that weird), I just really hate the look of the corner lights being on all the time.

SickFinga
12-03-2002, 09:44 PM
Here is the part number for US relay
Part #61 35 8 370 510

djcontra
12-04-2002, 11:47 AM
my corner lights dont turn on because on the signal bulb there is two terminals, one for the running light filament, and the other for the blinking filament. You can just put nail polish, or epoxy over the one terminal that's for the running lights and that way they wont turn on until you start blinking. Of course at night they'll be off too, but that wouldn't matter because your headlights will be on =)
This is a cheap easy thing to do for people who have blue corner bulbs...i just think they look nasty when on all the time.

thinair
12-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Here is the part number for US relay
Part #61 35 8 370 510

Thanks man, I just got back from T+C, for some reason they happened to have one in stock. $33 later, it's mine.

Too bad they didn't have a euro fog light switch in stock*mumble*

DunDan
12-05-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
my corner lights dont turn on because on the signal bulb there is two terminals, one for the running light filament, and the other for the blinking filament.

DJ Contra, I covered the terminals with electrical tape too but do you have problems with your check control light coming on?

djcontra
12-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by DunDan


DJ Contra, I covered the terminals with electrical tape too but do you have problems with your check control light coming on?

i dunno, my obc display is trashed so i disconnected it =)