PDA

View Full Version : Waxing for winter

mint
11-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey there guys was thinking if i should put a wax on my car for winter protection. Now Does anybody know of any GOOD places to go in the GTA to get this done. Hopefully referall from experience.

Cheers!

bscarlett
11-14-2006, 09:02 AM
When choosing a wax, it is best to go with synthetic as opposed to carnauba for durability. I do my own car and use Klasse and really like it. It will stand up to the salt in the winter and last about 6 months. Make sure to put at least 2 coats of the Sealant Glaze as well. You can pick this up from Paul Joseph at lastingshine.ca, tell him Blair sent you! If you want a pro to do it, there is nobody better in Toronto then Every Last Detail in First Canadian Place. These guys spend their days detailing Bentley's, Carerra GT's and my buddy's F430 as well as my X5 and 530 when it's cold out. I'm not sure what wax they use, give them a call and they will let you know. Be warned, they are not cheap. A interior and exterior detail is $50.00 but they do an amazing job!

mint
11-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Cool thx for the info. My problem is im not really downtown ever. And by $50.00 is that including wax job as well? I was thinking it would cost alot more, but I have no idea what the going rate is these days.

bscarlett
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
No, $50.00 does not include a wax...that would probably be about $80.00.

Acidblast
11-14-2006, 06:20 PM
autobahn does really good work. but i think they charge like $250 to wax the entire car. why don't you do it yourself and save yourself some $$$$ unless you don't have the time.

Bscarlett is right use a Synthetic wax will last longer and you could put multiple layers for added effect. Personally i use Zaino. I love this stuff.

Understated
11-14-2006, 06:47 PM
What if i have the time but don't wanna freeze my ass off? any1 know of a heated area i can wash/wax the car? :D

bscarlett
11-14-2006, 07:07 PM
autobahn does really good work. but i think they charge like $250 to wax the entire car. why don't you do it yourself and save yourself some $$$$ unless you don't have the time.

Bscarlett is right use a Synthetic wax will last longer and you could put multiple layers for added effect. Personally i use Zaino. I love this stuff.

I've alway wanted to try Zaino. Can you get it locally? I have heard good things about Autobahn. I would give them a try.

Understated
11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
I've alway wanted to try Zaino. Can you get it locally? I have heard good things about Autobahn. I would give them a try.

therse ag uy who has a hookup on zaino products on e46fanatics...he has zaino and poorboys i believe(both GREAT)...check out the forums

next year i'll be doing my first full zaino application :)

O.S.
11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
you can not go wrong with Klasse.
After Klasse AOI, I do 4 layers of Klasse glaze and top off with P21S - looks stunning ...
I get comments like ... how come there are other BMWs on the parking lot but yours looks so much better then others

mint
11-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Ya well Id love to do it myself, but A- abit cold out there, B- dont have a good buffer, and C- time is abit of an issue! So where can I go to pick up these products u folks mentioned? Crappy Tire or is there anywhere else in Toronto u folks go.

Cheers!

Acidblast
11-14-2006, 09:21 PM
i get all my Zaino products from www.zaino.ca they are the authorized distributor of Zaino in Canada. Plus every time i do go to The Barbers Chair in Square One they never have what i need. But be warned that in order to cure properly zaino needs a temperature of 20 degrees Celcius. Or else is will take a really long time to cure.

O.S.
11-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I get all my stuff online. no particular site... whoever has a good deal and the stuff I need.
I bought my Klasse AIO and Klasse glaze set 3 years ago and still have at least half of Glaze and 80% of AIO... you really need VERY little of the stuff.

For Klasse and P21S- you do not need a buffer.

Klasse AIO takes 15-20 minutes tops ... it is put on wipe off type of deal, no need to buff etc.
Klasse Glaze goes on after Klasse AIO and you put the stuff on all the car and then wipe by hand... it goes off very easy if you did not put too much of it on. Takes an hour to put and take off 1 layer of Klasse Glaze.
I do it in my cold garage :)

1 layer of Klasse glaze is good enough already and creates a hard protection film on the paint.....
but for the ultimate shine (that you probably not gonna get in the winter with all the dirt on the roads all the time anyways) you need 3-4 layers ... thus multi layers of Klasse is usually a spring project because you need to wait at least a day before you can put the next layer of glaze on wheres a single layer is a good choice before winter.
That's what I do.
And .... Klasse does not wear off for at least 6 month.

I bet there are other great choices ... but I am not going to change what I do because of the great results it produces for me.

atm2000
11-15-2006, 06:56 PM
When choosing a wax, it is best to go with synthetic as opposed to carnauba for durability. I do my own car and use Klasse and really like it. It will stand up to the salt in the winter and last about 6 months. Make sure to put at least 2 coats of the Sealant Glaze as well. You can pick this up from Paul Joseph at lastingshine.ca, tell him Blair sent you! If you want a pro to do it, there is nobody better in Toronto then Every Last Detail in First Canadian Place. These guys spend their days detailing Bentley's, Carerra GT's and my buddy's F430 as well as my X5 and 530 when it's cold out. I'm not sure what wax they use, give them a call and they will let you know. Be warned, they are not cheap. A interior and exterior detail is $50.00 but they do an amazing job!

i've heard a lot of good things about carranuba wax, specifically the collinite brand. collinite is made specifically for boats, but works just as good on a automobile that they introduced/rebranded for that.

rico328i
11-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Like someone mentioned above. You need to have the car in a place that's at least 15C or higher. Otherwise, the wax is not going to adhere properly to the car's finish. One of the most important steps in waxing, is the pre-wax. This removes all the oxidation etc from the finish and prepares it for the wax.

Jattdee328
12-15-2006, 02:08 AM
turtle wax...anygood?

BMWWW
12-15-2006, 08:44 AM
turtle wax...anygood?

I've never used TW based on the availability and proven track records of other products that can be found locally. Picus has done a good review of ICE in the past, and if I recall, it doesn't last long; 2-3 weeks IIRC.

Locally, you should scavange your Carquests for Collinite 845, Duragloss 105, and perhaps NXT from Canadian Tire. The former being extreamly cost efficient (~$10-15), and are both very durable.

Good luck!
--Gabe

Rocka
12-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Do I need to have a buffer to apply the Klasse wax and sealant or I can apply that stuff by hand? I don't have a buffer and I don't feel comfortable using one either. I just want something that I can apply by hand to protect the car during the winter.

BMWWW
12-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Do I need to have a buffer to apply the Klasse wax and sealant or I can apply that stuff by hand? I don't have a buffer and I don't feel comfortable using one either. I just want something that I can apply by hand to protect the car during the winter.

No buffer required. All you need is a foam applicator, and you're good to go. Thinner is better, and keeping your applicator damp with water will definitely help!

Good luck!
--Gabe

Rocka
12-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Where can I buy Klasse products in the GTA area? Canadian Tire, Parts Source?

BMWWW
12-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I believe Lastingshine.com (sp?) will have it available... Sorry, but I forgot the actual name, I'm sure someone will have it handy. AFAIK, they're the only one's that carry Klasse locally.

Online, eshine/carcarsmart carry Klasse.

Good luck!
--Gabe

bscarlett
12-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I believe Lastingshine.com (sp?) will have it available... Sorry, but I forgot the actual name, I'm sure someone will have it handy. AFAIK, they're the only one's that carry Klasse locally.

Online, eshine/carcarsmart carry Klasse.

Good luck!
--Gabe

http://www.lastingshine.ca/ is actually the site. Paul Joseph runs it and has amazing prices and even better customer service. Tell him Blair sent you! I get all my detailing supplies from him. If you are looking for something particular, he always has good advice.

P.S. He does carry Klasse.

picus
12-17-2006, 06:54 PM
+1 on Lasting Shine, great guys over there. Eshine.ca is also good and also carries Klasse products. AIO is very easy to use, HGSG can be a bit tricker so before application you might want to shoot on over to Autopia.org and read up on suggested application methods.

bscarlett
12-17-2006, 08:13 PM
+1 on Lasting Shine, great guys over there. Eshine.ca is also good and also carries Klasse products. AIO is very easy to use, HGSG can be a bit tricker so before application you might want to shoot on over to Autopia.org and read up on suggested application methods.

And if you have seen the detailing picus does, you can be assured he knows what he is talking about. I have seen his work on autopica.org and he works on some fine cars!

Rocka
12-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Any suggestions of winter protection wax and sealant from Canadian Tire or local stores?

dtthiaga
12-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Any Wax on the paint is really better than none at all.

For the winter cars, I use Zymol from CanadianTire. I based the results from the following, several years ago.

http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

But, even Turtle Wax twice a year still protects the paint. I've had an old Hyundai Pony's and Dodge K-Cars that were waxed twice a year with Turtle Wax, and the paint never faded even after 5-6 years!

I use Zaino on the Acura, Accord and BMW. Each about 3-4 Coats. It repels water for 4-5+ months!

Zymol seems pretty good for the cars I just want to protect, but don't want to waste too much time.

picus
12-20-2006, 03:41 PM
You can get Zaino locally at any Barbers Chair location.

If there isn't one near you and you want to grab something from Canadian Tire, probably the longest lasting thing they have their is Meguairs NXT Tech Wax (actually a sealant), it'll only net you about 8-12 weeks, but as mentioned by dtthiaga, anything is better than nothing at all. NXT is very easy to use, too.

Any suggestions of winter protection wax and sealant from Canadian Tire or local stores?

touchofclass
12-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Auto Spa in Mississauga located on Laird Drive is an excellent detailing shop with great prices and friendly service. My executive friends take their 7 series,5 and 3 series there and the cars come out like new. Talk to John the owner and tell him you are a Maxbimmer member and he will look after you.

Cheers
Touchofclass (7series/3 series/Volvo 780 Bertone classic)

Rocka
01-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I just picked up some Claybar and NXT Tech Wax from CT. However, when I was there I was looking for a new wash mitt. All they had was some cheap imitation microfiber ones. I then proceeded to another CT to see if they had better ones but again it was the same crappy stuff. Does anyone know where I can purchase a good quality and decent wash mitt in the GTA?