PDA

View Full Version : It was bound to happen...

E30 Stu
12-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Yep. It bit me. It finally happened. I knew it would. I mean after 200K miles....it has to happen!
I walked out to my car this morning, unlocked it, sat down, looked forward to crank my M42 and then I saw it....I couldn't believe my eyes. How could it happen overnight!
Oh well....what can you do....I guess just replace the SOB.
Yep....my dash cracked....a good 8" in length....overnight.

RaFBM325e
12-01-2002, 06:53 PM
ya i got three of them so beat that *wiggle*

bmwm5lover
12-01-2002, 07:28 PM
i have 5 1/2, so beat that

BMW BMXer
12-01-2002, 07:44 PM
rookies :)

BMW BMXer
12-01-2002, 07:46 PM
:P

mkgino
12-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Ha, that sucks. But its ok, thats just an excuse to get a nice custom dash now, that would look better than your old one anyway!!!*th-up*

Bob bimmer
12-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey I had the same thing happen to my dash just last week and in the same spot as yours why they hell does that happen?

swisherchico
12-01-2002, 09:14 PM
thats odd that it cracked over night. You would think that they crack in the middle of summer when it hot out and those things expand, but i guess the coldness can have an effect on them too. Did you ever put armor-all on it?

M50E30
12-01-2002, 09:21 PM
I'm selling my mint condition dash! Anyone interested?

E30 Stu
12-01-2002, 09:57 PM
I never used Armor All. I only used detail-shop professional protectant.

Lil'Smoothie
12-01-2002, 09:59 PM
damn
i park mine in the cold all the time and its still perfect

Jase
12-01-2002, 10:41 PM
you can always call fiber new they fix dashes and seats and stuff like that*th-up* *th-up*

RaFBM325e
12-02-2002, 12:22 AM
BMW BMXr
i got the exact same crack right down the middle bettween the 2 vents....exact same.

o and what kind of deck do u have in that car?

Bob bimmer
12-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Yeah I always use Amor all and it still happened but at least the rest of it looks good.

E30 Stu
12-02-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Bob bimmer
Yeah I always use Amor all and it still happened but at least the rest of it looks good.

armor all is bad news *no-no*

maverick
12-02-2002, 01:05 PM
eewww
armour all very bad. Has silicone in it yea it makes the dash reeeal shiny but it also dries the sh#t out of it. Mothers products all natural. I haven't had any issues.

Jase
12-02-2002, 04:06 PM
what about the suff detail shops use.100% silicone.So silicone is thet BAD ingredient. Like petroleum distlilate in car wax?. Bad for your ride*no-no*

Never's Angel
12-02-2002, 05:29 PM
It actually makes more sense that it'd crack in the winter because the dash would contract, pulling itself apart.

SpudBoy
12-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Natural protectants are a good idea.

leather (check)
plastic (hmmm)
nauga-hide (check as long as it's free-range nauga-hide)

List of naturals products:

Stomach acid
Bird turd
road salt
the biodegradable list goes on...

I recommend, for what it's worth, that you find someone that has a very old car in really good shape and ask them what they use. There is a huge marketing push on for "natural" products. Everyone wants to use them for environmental reasons but business has re-defined natural as "containing natural ingredients" One percent? Two? Fifty-one? Nature has also produced things like crude oil and sulpher springs. Don't buy the hype. Check with grey haired guys with mint bimmers.

just my opinion,

Oddjob
12-10-2002, 06:37 PM
It's not a Bimmer, but I have a '69 Pontiac Firebird convertible and the original interior is like new. (Except the white is more yellow from age) I've had the car since '89. I don't think it's the products you use, if you want to keep the trim nice you have to park inside - out of the sun. My garage has no windows, and I keep the car under a cover. The humidity and temperature don't seem to matter very much. I knew a guy with a rare vinyl top that was fake alligator skin. He parked inside, but had a window in his garage. That top dried and cracked within a couple years, after it had lasted for nearly 30 years with no trouble.

maverick
12-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by SpudBoy
Natural protectants are a good idea.

leather (check)
plastic (hmmm)
nauga-hide (check as long as it's free-range nauga-hide)

List of naturals products:

Stomach acid
Bird turd
road salt
the biodegradable list goes on...

I recommend, for what it's worth, that you find someone that has a very old car in really good shape and ask them what they use. There is a huge marketing push on for "natural" products. Everyone wants to use them for environmental reasons but business has re-defined natural as "containing natural ingredients" One percent? Two? Fifty-one? Nature has also produced things like crude oil and sulpher springs. Don't buy the hype. Check with grey haired guys with mint bimmers.

just my opinion,
If your washing your car using stomach acid or bird turd or road salt doesnt matter if your product is natural cause your not.