PDA

View Full Version : Rim Cleaner!

mint
10-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey Guys I just purchased some used BBS winter rims. They are in fair condition but do need alittle bit of elbow grease to clean them up. I will have to make the trip to Canadian Tire to get some rim cleaner spray. My question is what do you guys use from experience and what works best?

Cheers!

europrince
10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I'd use Meguiar's rim paste. It sells for like $10 at Canadian Tire and does wonders for oxidation on rims. It cleans up my rims wonderfully after winter abuse. The link below isn't the same label as what I had, but it gives you an idea.
http://www.meguiarscanada.com/index.php?_room=2&_subRoom=33&_action=detail&

fitz318is
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
For brake dust simple green does the job.

kerisabe
10-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Check out MEGUIARS Wheel spray.. the color of the bottle is purple. They work amazing. And don't put 2 coats of WHEELWAX right after you clean the wheels. It'll keep the brakedust not to stick on the wheel surface. Easy cleaning. *th-up*

propr'one
11-07-2006, 10:51 PM
negative.

never dull. read up on it, buy it, use it, done.

Mystikal
11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
BMW Wheel Cleaner.

Cheap (dealer item), and by far the best I have ever tried. They just updated it this year too, so for those that only know the older spray type the new one is more like a gel...it's badass.

jeffrie
11-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Cheapest and easiest to obtain is pool liner cleaner.
PM Smashed323 if you need specifics for product, but even hard core mucle car enthusiestes changed over after this guys' recomendations.

ZiMMie
11-10-2006, 09:08 PM
BMW Wheel Cleaner.

Cheap (dealer item), and by far the best I have ever tried. They just updated it this year too, so for those that only know the older spray type the new one is more like a gel...it's badass.
Wow that is great product. I have also tried EVERY wheel cleaner on our shelf and with this one, i was amazed cause i didnt even have to take a rag thru the spokes. jst spray it, let it sit and then water it off. and its only 9.99 @ dealer. Worth EVERY PENNY!!.

*th-up*

Axxe
11-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Wow that is great product. I have also tried EVERY wheel cleaner on our shelf and with this one, i was amazed cause i didnt even have to take a rag thru the spokes. jst spray it, let it sit and then water it off. and its only 9.99 @ dealer. Worth EVERY PENNY!!.

*th-up*

Cool, I'll have to try that out next season. I've always been using castrol super clean + pressure washer. Cleans weaves really nicely, but eats paint.

Mystikal
11-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Glad to hear it worked well man, and yeah, you should be the expert on these cleaners.

paul christians
11-13-2006, 01:12 AM
I am using 40/10/50 pro stuff,and what I mean is wheel acied. water and car soap....

Manimillion
11-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I got little brake dust particles taht seem to be packed on my wheels, they are black dots on my wheels, how do I get them off? Do I really have to clay bar the wheels? I tried simple green, but didn't take all of it off, and I was too lazy to scrub the wheels for 2 hours each.

jeffrie
11-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Pool liner cleaner will take that off in 2 min.

dbworld4k
11-16-2006, 09:49 PM

*th-up*

Just bought this today from BMW Mississauga on my way back from campus. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and post the before and after pics *th-up*

Manimillion
11-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Pool liner cleaner will take that off in 2 min.

Where can I get pool liner cleaner? And what brand should I get? My wheels have clear coat on them, its not going to mess up the finish is it?

dbworld4k
11-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Just bought this today from BMW Mississauga on my way back from campus. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and post the before and after pics *th-up*

Well, I cleaned the rims just now and let me tell you - this is, hands down the GREATEST clenaing expereince I have had with rims. The best $10 I've spent!!!! They just SPARKLE now and it was so easy! I simply sprayed it, waited a few minutes and used a brush/sponge to wipe off the excess dirt/brake-dust and then gave it a rinse. Unfortunatley, I forgot to take the before pics but let me assur eyou, the rims were VERY dirty, almost a ghetto gunmetal look. However, here are some of the end product! I didn't give my full 100% when cleaning with the sponge between spokes and such since it was too cold, but it turned out amazing anyways!

Onto the pics.. (I know my car looks like ass... still waiting on front clears and window tints :()

Mystikal
11-20-2006, 04:50 PM
LOL, glad people are listening to me.

Ant118
11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
hmm gonna have to try this out!

Hound
12-10-2006, 12:53 AM
BMW Wheel Cleaner.

used it for a while now and love It, donno what they put in it but man does it work...

Hound
12-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Well, I cleaned the rims just now and let me tell you - this is, hands down the GREATEST clenaing expereince I have had with rims. The best $10 I've spent!!!! They just SPARKLE now and it was so easy! I simply sprayed it, waited a few minutes and used a brush/sponge to wipe off the excess dirt/brake-dust and then gave it a rinse. Unfortunatley, I forgot to take the before pics but let me assur eyou, the rims were VERY dirty, almost a ghetto gunmetal look. However, here are some of the end product! I didn't give my full 100% when cleaning with the sponge between spokes and such since it was too cold, but it turned out amazing anyways!

Onto the pics.. (I know my car looks like ass... still waiting on front clears and window tints :()

no offence but you need new center caps bro *th-up*

Manimillion
12-10-2006, 12:57 AM
I wonder if it will take off the black specs of wheel dust that seems to be stuck on my wheels. I am too lazy to clay bar the wheels.

///MAC
12-10-2006, 02:23 PM
GROUP BUY ON THIS STUFF,,, maybe they will give us a discount???

STALKER
12-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Does BMW only make one wheel cleaner?

picus
12-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I believe BMW wheel cleaner is a re-branded Sonax product (bottle should look something like this):

http://www.sonax.de/sonax-e/katalog_product.php?show_cat=11&show_product=230200

If so, it's a very good acid-free wheel cleaner, obviously not nearly as powerful as an acid, but much safer.

Interestingly BMW sells their detailing products at a huge discount, and afaik it's all Sonax stuff.

If you ever need something slightly stronger (but be careful with it, since it has caustic), Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is a very popular OTC option (available at CT).

If anyone ever needs the industrial grade stuff let me know... :cool:

dbworld4k
12-10-2006, 11:28 PM
no offence but you need new center caps bro *th-up*

LOL! Yes, I have known for a while :(. I'm leaving them as they are until I get a new set of summer rims. Those OEM ones will be my winter set.

Nascar318is
12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm going to have to buy some of this come spring. I know the simple green foam is awsome but can't find it anywhere and it's been months since I've seen it at CT..

Jeff: Yeah man Jay's pool cleaner works wonders as well. I'll have to hook up with him come spring so he can give me some products to clean the engine bay..

Mystikal
12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
I believe BMW wheel cleaner is a re-branded Sonax product (bottle should look something like this):

http://www.sonax.de/sonax-e/katalog_product.php?show_cat=11&show_product=230200

If so, it's a very good acid-free wheel cleaner, obviously not nearly as powerful as an acid, but much safer.

Yup, that's the bottle.

picus
12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Yup, that's the bottle.

Cool - it's good stuff. Definitely worth $10.

AJ_GUYY
01-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Do BMW wheels have an anodized finish? It appears that it does and that it has come off in some areas! could this be the case?

blu320i
01-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I used to work for Canadian Tire parts and the best product we used was the Hotrims by Meguiar's great product.

KaschmirBeige3
01-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I used to work for Canadian Tire parts and the best product we used was the Hotrims by Meguiar's great product.

+1. Meguiar's Hotrims in the purple bottle is one of the best wheel cleaner's I've used. No matter how much brake dust I had caked on my E46 wheel's this stuff got rid of it with no problems. Also, I never noticed any damage to my wheel's paint finish with the use of it.

David
01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
I always thought the BMW wheel cleaner was rebranded P21S, not Sonax? Either way, I agree it works very well! Strong wheel cleaners should not be necessary most of the time. A simple wash with car wash soap should suffice.

picus
01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
I always thought the BMW wheel cleaner was rebranded P21S, not Sonax? Either way, I agree it works very well! Strong wheel cleaners should not be necessary most of the time. A simple wash with car wash soap should suffice.

I don't have any personal experience with it; I just thought all their products were re-branded Sonax; same bottles and all. Either way they are both good; P21S is one of my favorite wheel cleaners.

David
01-15-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't have any personal experience with it; I just thought all their products were re-branded Sonax; same bottles and all. Either way they are both good; P21S is one of my favorite wheel cleaners.

It may have changed. The last time I used the BMW wheel cleaner was a while ago, so they could be sourcing it from Sonax now.

STALKER
01-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I used the BMW one for the first time yesterday, sprayed it on the wheels before the touchless car wash. GREAT PRODUCT!!

BimmerboyPH
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I always use Eagle one, and the results are excellent!

picus
01-23-2007, 10:34 PM
I just got an interesting wheel cleaner; it's a new one from menzerna, it's supposed to be ph balanced so perfectly safe on uncoated aluminum. I will let you guys know how it goes. I am skeptical. :)

David
01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Is it real Menzerna, or is it CMA rebranded Menzerna?

picus
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Is it real Menzerna, or is it CMA rebranded Menzerna?

Blackfire you mean? It looks like real menzerna to me, this is the bottle:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1934_19462478

I haven't had a chance to use it yet; I want to save it for some nice aluminum wheels. :)

kyriian
01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
i use sonus ph-balanced wheel cleaner, and so far, its' worked wonders on both my winter and my summer wheels!

kidneykill
03-11-2007, 06:51 PM
BMW Rim cleaner.. amazing job today!!!!*th-up*

Chris de la Cruz
03-13-2007, 11:52 PM
weird... i only paid $8 for the bmw cleaner last week at town and country.

I have this industrial grade acid stuff my dad got from work that you have to dilute in water before using it. It works great with my bottle caps but still too scared to use them on the rotas.

Jattdee328
03-16-2007, 09:46 PM
I just used Pool Liner Cleaner...this stuff works great...like amazing.

jeffrie
03-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I just used Pool Liner Cleaner...this stuff works great...like amazing.

Bought time someone tried something cheap & effective, other then from the stealership.

Mr_Elusive
03-23-2007, 06:28 AM
P21S Wheel Cleaner, the gel or the spray, both are great.

Wannabe
03-31-2007, 10:37 AM
I use ORANGE BLAST.. the best stuff i have ever used!!!

digiital
05-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Washing the car today and thought about something I had in the garage to clean the rims, your going to find this odd. But it sure did a hell of a good job, and it's CHEAP! Hell if it's good enough for your hands, can't do any harm to the rims.

What is it you ask? Well, that Orange Hand cleaner you use after working on your car.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_580415_580415

The Rims look new!

Nascar318is
05-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Washing the car today and thought about something I had in the garage to clean the rims, your going to find this odd. But it sure did a hell of a good job, and it's CHEAP! Hell if it's good enough for your hands, can't do any harm to the rims.

What is it you ask? Well, that Orange Hand cleaner you use after working on your car.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_580415_580415

The Rims look new!

Stupid question but doesn't that type of hand cleaner have some sort of sand in it, making it rough, to get all the dirt of your hands? So it would be like sanding your rims if you used that??

I'm not sure about that hand cleaner, but all the ones I've used in my life are rough as all hell.

rzrdxl
05-18-2007, 04:29 PM
tried the spray type BMW wheel cleaner yesterday before going thru a touchless car wash. didn't clean very well. had to wipe off the brake dust. i left it on for 3 min. next time i'll leave it on for 5 min.

TOBimmer
08-10-2007, 09:56 AM
i have newer 5 series rims that have some residue on the lip due to some ill placed wheel weights by the last owner. What kind of mild abrasive is recommended when gettin rid of crap like adhesives...?

Pete

Vicman17
08-22-2007, 04:09 AM
I treat my rims (clearcoated Style 66) the same way I treat the body of the car. They're both painted and clearcoated. I wouldn't use any chemical sprays on the rims since I wouldn't use those sprays on the body. I use a cheap $1 MF scrubbing pad (with the mesh net on one side) and scrub the rims with car wash soap before I wash the car. When I apply sealant (Klasse) on the car, I do the rims also. Carnauba wax simply won't last as the rims are subjected to high temperatures.

If you wash the rims as often as the whole car the brake dust would simply wash of after a few scrubs and you won't need any chemical sprays to clean it. Brake dust itself turns acidic after a while and then discolors the cleacoat if it stays on the rims.