PDA

View Full Version : ....For the experienced guys out there !!

la klasic
11-29-2002, 08:56 AM
For those who have good experience in bimmer transmisions, here is one for you......I have a bad clunk noise/bearing noise coming from the front of the transm. (between engine and transm.) as if there is something loose.

You only hear it add idle.

I changed clutch disc and release bearing, noise still there.

I read that transm. oil type makes a difference in those gear boxes and could be a source of bearing noise. I have synthetic now that seems to me low density (water like), though it meets all standards for this box.

Could it be the rear crank shaft bearing ??

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I dismantle all.

Thanks

maverick
11-29-2002, 10:19 AM
I dont know ive never heard anything good about synthetic oils in our cars. the E 30's just dont like them it seems. except slowered I know he's running synthtic oil but he also has leaks....I wouldn't use it. try a tranny oil change and filter. U never know and thats a lot cheaper.
Good Luck

openwheel
11-29-2002, 02:59 PM
I know the noise, both myself and my neighbours car makes the same noise. My noise is a little louder than my neighbours, but he has just replaced all the bearings and clutch in his E30. The noise seems to be coming from the throw out bearing in the clutch. We changed his and the noise became a little less but is still there. It seems to go away when the vehicle gets a little warmer.

openwheel
11-29-2002, 03:02 PM
BTW, does the noise go away at idle when you push the clutch in?

la klasic
12-02-2002, 09:03 AM
Ooooufffff, at least I am not the only one.

I will try to change the oil and use non synthetic as per the OEM recommendations.

The noise does go away when you depress the cluth, but that could either be the release bearing (which is new) or the tranny first shaft. It is hard to tell.

NickP
12-02-2002, 09:49 AM
The e30 trannys are known to have noisy half shafts and synthetic tends to make them noisier but its more of annoyance than anything harmful. Since you've already changed the throw out bearing I would probably be inclined to ignore it. My tranny does make the same noise at a fully warmed idle and it has a new throw out bearing as well.

PS Was the shifting much improved with the synthetic?

Slowered318
12-09-2002, 05:20 PM
I have synthetic and it's noisy and hard to shift.. i'm going to replace it with OEM grade oil when i do my shift linkage this winter.