PDA

View Full Version : Automatically locking doors on 330i

Rob325is
10-16-2006, 08:26 PM
I recently picked up a 2003 330i which I love. One of the few little things about it that are irritating is that all doors lock automatically about 30 seconds after I start to drive away. First of all, as a safety issue, I hate this. I like my doors to be accessible at all times from the outside in case of emergency. Secondly, it's also a pain when I need to pick someone up, pull up, and need to unlock the door for them instead of having them open the door themselves.

I was told by the person I bought it from that there is nothing I can do about this. Unfortunately I have not yet been through the manual and apologize for asking in advance of that but....do you guys know what I can do to override this locking feature?

Thank you....Rob

Soldo
10-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Is it after 30 seconds?

I thought it happens once the car gets to a speed of like 30km/h..... anyways, i'm sure theres SOME way to remove it or override it. Is there a fuse that opperates that one feature. Your best bet would probabyl be to look at the door lock wiring in the BENTLEY manual.

dtthiaga
10-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I believe this feature is programmed at the dealer.

I didn't request this when I bought the car new, so they never programmed it. My cousin, requested it and it was done for his car.

In terms of safety, this is better. It is better that no one can open the door at a traffic light etc.

In the case of an emergency (accident), I believe it automatically opens all doors.

I keep forgetting to ask the dealer to program mine this way. I do the opposite. Once I start driving, I lock all the doors. :)

Jiver
10-16-2006, 11:45 PM
The doors will automatically lock when speed is above 8km. This and other features can be turned on or off by the dealer. The following is a link with the features that can be modified... http://www.bmwnation.com/tech/glossary/tech_3carkeycfg_01.html

When I picked up my car, all the features were programmed to "active".

Thanks...

Gordon

Rob325is
10-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

StikiGreenZ
10-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Is there any way to change these options at home?

Jiver
10-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Is there any way to change these options at home?

Yes, if you had the hardware and the software!

kidneykill
10-17-2006, 09:48 PM
wow, very informative.. thanks Jiver!

Jiver
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
wow, very informative.. thanks Jiver!

You are welcome! Happy to be of some help...

Thanks...

Gordon

Gilgorm
10-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Jiver said it all and I agree.
My car did NOT have the drive-away locking feature and I wanted it for safety so no one can reach in and steal anything or jump in at a light.
I had it programmed "active" at the dealership for no charge--it took no time at all so I'm sure you can make the feature "not active" on your next service.

I recently picked up a 2003 330i which I love. One of the few little things about it that are irritating is that all doors lock automatically about 30 seconds after I start to drive away. First of all, as a safety issue, I hate this. I like my doors to be accessible at all times from the outside in case of emergency. Secondly, it's also a pain when I need to pick someone up, pull up, and need to unlock the door for them instead of having them open the door themselves.

I was told by the person I bought it from that there is nothing I can do about this. Unfortunately I have not yet been through the manual and apologize for asking in advance of that but....do you guys know what I can do to override this locking feature?

Thank you....Rob

Soldo
10-25-2006, 05:59 PM
How much do they charge to 'activate' this feature!?

Jiver
10-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Soldo,

Check with them before you have it done. I believe they would do it at 'no charge'?

Thanks...

Gordon