PDA

View Full Version : lightweight flywheel E30

Slowered318
11-28-2002, 04:01 AM
I'm looking to lose my big heavy flywheel for something a lot lighter.. any suggestions? Active autowerke, bmp? who's got the best price for a dual mass Aluminum Flywheel for E30 318is.

thanks..

maverick
11-28-2002, 02:38 PM
Let me know what you think but one of my suppliers could machine it down for you

Slowered318
11-28-2002, 07:32 PM
can't machine the stock flywheel

Slowered318
11-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Help guys.. RANDY?!?!? how can I cut down the weight of my flywheel or where can i get an aluminum for a decent price.

bumpidy bump bump

M50E30
11-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Slowered318
Help guys.. RANDY?!?!? how can I cut down the weight of my flywheel or where can i get an aluminum for a decent price.

bumpidy bump bump

Randy is in Germany at a car show. He will be back Thursday night or Friday.

E30 Stu
11-30-2002, 11:55 PM
You have 2 options:

1) get a 12pound aluminum flywheel from AA, Turner....

2) get an M20 325i single-mass flywheel and convert it to fit your car. It is 16pounds, which is much better than your 28pounder. You will need a euro 323 t/o bearing and an M20 starter pinion to install this (as well as 325i clutch/pressure plate).

mkgino
12-01-2002, 12:51 AM
Im just wondering, most of the increased performance from a LTW flywheel comes from its weight reduction..........but isnt 15 pounds really not that much?? I mean if 15 pounds does a lot for performance, then Im going on a diet!

Jon@Bimmersport
12-01-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Im just wondering, most of the increased performance from a LTW flywheel comes from its weight reduction..........but isnt 15 pounds really not that much?? I mean if 15 pounds does a lot for performance, then Im going on a diet!

it will increase your throttle response and acceleration times a lot! thing of it as running as a fat person, then running as donavon bailey

E30 Stu
12-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by mkgino

Getting a 10 pound lighter flywheel is not like removing something from your car that weighs 10 pounds. The flywheel is relative mass, and a heavy one causes a lot of inertia and slows down drivetrain operation. Lightweight flywheels have two advantages:

1) 1st and 2nd gear acceleration sky rocket, much faster spool up time.

2) Braking. Coming into corners when you are off-throttle, the engine RPM will drop MUCH more quickly.

An M20 15lb. flywheel is a big advantage over the M42 28lb. flywheel, but not as trick as the aluminum 12lb. unit.

Slowered318
12-01-2002, 05:13 PM
Ok so as it stands now... My clutch, starter are in great condition so I don't really want to pull them off and buy new ones.

So AA, Turner, and BMP all have aluminum flywheel kits? what one is going to give the best price and weight reduction are they all made by the same company? and where in the GTA can I get this part without paying some huge markup.

PS what do guys think of Evolution on Dupont and Lawrence they seem to have a lot of toys for bmw's

Jon@Bimmersport
12-01-2002, 07:16 PM
slowered318....i am just wondering do you have an intake on your car? my brother is buying a 318is and getting it this week thanks to Riks Ryd...it already has exhaust and dinan chip...what do you suggest should be added next?

Slowered318
12-02-2002, 11:57 AM
I have a K&N cone filter kit if he wants that, to be honest with you I don't like it thats why im selling, but some people swear by them. It worked great at night when it's cool but traffic jams it was brutal and I wouldn't put it on in the winter. Let me know i'll work a deal on it if he's interested.

As for performance on a 318is I haven't found any specific mod that really brings out the 1.8. I'm working on it and by spring I hope to have her up around 160 hp. olny 1/4 mile times will tell! The flywheel and some mild head work might do the trick as well as the chip and exhaust. Also he should look into adjusting the intake timing about 5 degrees advanced. the timing is fully adjustable on M42's I hear.

hope this helps..

Slowered318
12-02-2002, 11:59 AM
Ok one more thing.. i'm wondering if anyone with an aluminum flywheel has had heat buildup problems with normal driving. is the aluminum FW strictly for racing or could it hold up in a traffic jam.

thinair
12-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Another plus to having a LTW flywheel, quicker rev-matches for fast downshifts.

Also, 10 lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but having that shaved off rotating/moving parts increases performance.

Lighter pistons/rods/cranks/flywheels/wheels increase acceleration response. Wheels and flywheel making the largest difference.

Lighter suspension components/brakes/wheels(unsprung weight) increase suspension response and handling.

M50E30
12-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Ok one more thing.. i'm wondering if anyone with an aluminum flywheel has had heat buildup problems with normal driving. is the aluminum FW strictly for racing or could it hold up in a traffic jam.

How would a light flywheel have any affect on the engine cooling? :huh?:

thinair
12-02-2002, 10:14 PM

The clutch/flywheel doesn't heat up when ingaged, only when being modulated, mostly when you take of from a stand still in 1st gear. Unless you have a crappy/glazed clutch that slips. When you're at a stop light, you shouldn't have the car in gear and the clutch in anyway, it adds unnecessary wear to the throwout bearing.

Slowered318
12-03-2002, 04:07 PM
Ok here is a breakdown of what i've found already

BMP - $720 usd full aluminum flywheel and hardware
Bavarian Autosport - $642 usd. same as above
Turner Motorsport - $598 usd same as above but machined by turner.

Now i've been told these are for racing only.. and the car will idle rough (well it already does because it's a 4) but anyways what do you guys think.. will it do for the street? and who should i buy from?

Also Bavarian has stock 89-91 E30 fog lights for $60 usd. (dealership wants $250 cdn.)

robert79
12-04-2002, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by thinair

The clutch/flywheel doesn't heat up when ingaged, only when being modulated, mostly when you take of from a stand still in 1st gear. Unless you have a crappy/glazed clutch that slips. When you're at a stop light, you shouldn't have the car in gear and the clutch in anyway, it adds unnecessary wear to the throwout bearing.

How you tell me!. I always sit at the lights in 1st gear and clutch in.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-04-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by robert79

How you tell me!. I always sit at the lights in 1st gear and clutch in.

isnt that really bad for your tranny and clutch?

robert79
12-04-2002, 04:19 PM
:mad: I've been told to that by my driving instructor! *uzi*

thinair
12-04-2002, 06:35 PM
it doesn't ruin your tranny, it just adds wear to the throwout bearing that ingages the clutch

Look here (http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch2.htm), scroll down to the "Diaphragm Clutch" pic and click the "click here" button. In fact, read the whole thing, and the transmission article too.

I guess it'd be easier to explain if you had one taken apart in front of you.