PDA

View Full Version : S52 and Boost?

Manimillion
10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Any difference between the S52's that came in the E36 M3's?

How much power can a stock E36 M3 block handle reliably?

Furious
10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
im not 100% sure on the s52, but 700rwhp was reached on the M52 with just a HG and studs with stock internals

thinair
10-10-2006, 06:16 PM
The block itself can handle a lot, like +1000hp. Internally the rods are the first to fail. The crank is forged as well.

Basically if you have the money, the motor won't be the issue, traction, drivetrain and chassis integrity will be.

Manimillion
10-10-2006, 06:40 PM
The block itself can handle a lot, like +1000hp. Internally the rods are the first to fail. The crank is forged as well.

Basically if you have the money, the motor won't be the issue, traction, drivetrain and chassis integrity will be.

What is a good place to start to read on these issues?

I will be getting a new car this upcoming spring, but the goal is to have a low 12 sec, high 11second car, without going crazy out of budget. I can possibly spend 25G's USD on a car, and another 10G's on mods.

Easiest way to go is to get an 03-04 Cobra, and with 3-4G's you are guaranteed to run 11's but I really don't want another Mustang, let alone a domestic.

///MsAniTy
10-10-2006, 08:25 PM
One of my buddies has a 03 cobra and damn that bad boy is fast. anywhere in the RPM range it flies at full throttle.

Furious
10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
you can look at places like ICS. they will give you an idea where to go. i suggest going with older m52 (328) and build from there. you will have more room for modding with the extra money saved on car choice as well as insurance. and the m52 will be a good engine to build on. also look at early model 325's (1992) they are a great engine to rebuild on.

NOTORIOUS VR
10-10-2006, 09:00 PM
u can get a nice turbo kit made for u'r car that'll get u into the low 12's easy or high 11's if u can drive for $10k... So since you have the budget, you shouldn't be too worried.

You need to find a place that you trust to build the kit and do the modifications for you.

SickFinga
10-10-2006, 10:15 PM
If you want a fast car and have a 10k budget, dont bother with M3. Just do your Mustang. That what I would do.

P.S. I secretly want a Mustang with a roots blower or even better twinscrew:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qleqpDhpI FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP
http://www.mustangmagicinc.com/videos/snakebiteII.mpg more fap fap fap

Manimillion
10-10-2006, 11:40 PM
There are quite a bit of mixed responses.

First of all I don't think I would sell my car to drive a 1992 325i, I am willing to take quite a hit on my car since it has almost everything possible done to the chassis/suspension to get the most out of handling.

I also want a car which I would like to build and keep thats why I'd rather have an M then a regular Bmw.

Sickfinga, I have so many go fast parts lying around at home for the Mustang, but I really couldn't get warmed up to this car, I seriously hate the way it feels when I drive it, thats why I want a more driver oriented car. And 10K is the mod budget I am planning on to have.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36obd2turbo.htm <<< 7700 and I can install it myself. then 1G for a flywheel/clutch ? thts pretty close to 10K, then over time I can get the brakes and the suspension work all sorted out. ?

How are the rear ends and transmissions in these cars? Do they hold up alot of power?

SickFinga
10-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Sickfinga, I have so many go fast parts lying around at home for the Mustang, but I really couldn't get warmed up to this car, I seriously hate the way it feels when I drive it, thats why I want a more driver oriented car. And 10K is the mod budget I am planning on to have.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36obd2turbo.htm <<< 7700 and I can install it myself. then 1G for a flywheel/clutch ? thts pretty close to 10K, then over time I can get the brakes and the suspension work all sorted out. ?

How are the rear ends and transmissions in these cars? Do they hold up alot of power?

Going to be honest, Ive never driven a Mustang of that generation, but Ive driven a new Mustang GT automatic (rental).
I didnt like the interior(but hey, I drive a sunfire now more often and that thing has the ugliest, cheapest interior ive ever seen) and it had very limited view, but honestly, I had a smile on my face. It sounded so nice at WOT and it was constantly pulling.

About TT kit you are looking at. Ive never heard anything bad about TT kits, but if I was looking into turboing my car I would give ICS a call. Tell them about your budget and your goals.

Now about M3 drivetrain. You will have to get a flywheel/clutch for your car and the weakest point of the E36 is the rear subframe. Once you start modding your car, check if you have M3 reinforcement kit(i heard that not all m3 got those) and get AA differential support bracket. That should be enough for the TT kit you are looking at.

P.S. TT kit should get you in low 12s, not sure about 11s though.
P.P.S. twinscrew your mustang and forget the e36 *wave*

Furious
10-11-2006, 12:15 AM
There are quite a bit of mixed responses.

First of all I don't think I would sell my car to drive a 1992 325i, I am willing to take quite a hit on my car since it has almost everything possible done to the chassis/suspension to get the most out of handling.

I also want a car which I would like to build and keep thats why I'd rather have an M then a regular Bmw.

not saying you should buy one, but in terms of stock engines put into US E36's the 1992 M50 was the strongest by far. i have no idea what you plan to do with this turbo, run it on a stock engine or what.

330DTM
10-11-2006, 02:52 AM
What is a good place to start to read on these issues?

I will be getting a new car this upcoming spring, but the goal is to have a low 12 sec, high 11second car, without going crazy out of budget. I can possibly spend 25G's USD on a car, and another 10G's on mods.

Based on your goal, i.e. high 11 second car, you might as well get 3.2L US Spec M3 engine. No need for a 328 or 325 engine as you're not pushing for max power and you'll still have the nice torquey feel from the 3L engine.

TechniqueTuning Stage II kit puts you over 400whp;a nice kit put together. The tuning is great, done by NickG, and I've yet to hear any major issues. Even a Stage I TT making about 350whp puts you close to low 12s.

Going back to SickFinga with ICS, I would go to them if my goal was to achieve over 500whp+. I'm sure they put together a great setup under 500whp as well but I've no idea how much they charge in comparison to TT's kits.

///MsAniTy
10-11-2006, 11:16 AM
How about a B5 S4.

Manimillion
10-11-2006, 01:57 PM
How about a B5 S4.

"Say no to AWD"

Mitch555
10-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Technique Tuning is an amazing company and they make an amazing turbo kit for the e36 m3. Their tuning is also very good!

Just make sure that when you go with so much power to have a good clutch and enough rubber touching the road.

Power is nothing without grip.

Even the TT stage 1 kit at 350rwhp will not be good with a stock e36 m3 clutch. The stock e36 m3 clutch will give way quickly.

Allan_M
11-08-2006, 10:16 AM
what would i have to do to the M3 E36 motor to make lets say 500rwhp-550rwhp. i want a low 11s car. what motor things would i have to do i kno that high psi would be needed

PS furious ur sig pic looks soo sick

thinair
11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
what would i have to do to the M3 E36 motor to make lets say 500rwhp-550rwhp.
Throw money at it. The simple explaination lower compression, up the boost, up the fuel capabilities, make sure the motor seals properly and get it tuned.

Running 11's is a different story, all the power in the world won't do anything if you don't have traction, for that you'll need fat sticky rear tires and wide wheels, which will mean suspension and fender mods as well, you want 0º camber for max traction. Not to mention a heavier duty LSD, bushings, reinforcements etc.

If you're building a BMW drag car, either you have a huge budget, or a pipe dream.

propr'one
11-08-2006, 12:05 PM
LS1 people!!!!!!!!!

buy bigboost_e36's nice, black e36 shell. For what, i dunno, couple grand?

Put an LS1 with lots of "edlebrock" shit on it, i hate how you can get 100HP out of bolt ons. + have it put in

You're at below 18K right now now CAD already putting down nuts power.

then i dunno, do a widebody or something, i dont know how you're going to hold that power

Allan_M
11-08-2006, 12:09 PM
well my goal is 11s with a BMW M3
and i kno its gonna cost money but it wont be all at once
in time a long term project. what kinda fender work needs to be done
and how much is a heavy duty LSD goin for? and what kinda suspension setup is proper for something like this?

thinair
11-08-2006, 12:44 PM
well my goal is 11s with a BMW M3
and i kno its gonna cost money but it wont be all at once
in time a long term project. what kinda fender work needs to be done
and how much is a heavy duty LSD goin for? and what kinda suspension setup is proper for something like this?
For fender work, it really depends on what wheels and tires you decide to run, and your alignment geometry. Options run from reworking the outer fender lip for more clearance, grafting e46 fender lips, running fender flairs, widebody, or cutting up the inner fender.

A decent diff costs about $1400US+ depending on the gearing, % of lock, and other performance options (larger sump, gear polishing, etc).

For suspension setup, with that much power I'd recommend solid trailing arm bushings to elimiate toe angle deflection, adjustable lower trailing arms to dial out all the camber, rear subframe and diff mounting reinforcements and at least urethane bushings all around. Launching is particularly hard on the chassis, rear suspension and driveline. Regarding spring and damping rates I have no idea.

Allan_M
11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
if i go BMW i wanna have a nice low 11s car
10s if possible but i think im startin to dream now. i know its gonna cost huge money but i can find a few of the things i need for cheap.
whats a good shop to take it too in the GTA that can get me all these parts and will know what im talkin about. possibly one that builds fast ET cars

330DTM
11-14-2006, 04:01 PM
if i go BMW i wanna have a nice low 11s car
10s if possible but i think im startin to dream now. i know its gonna cost huge money but i can find a few of the things i need for cheap.
whats a good shop to take it too in the GTA that can get me all these parts and will know what im talkin about. possibly one that builds fast ET cars

I have yet to hear of any shops in the GTA that can build up a great Turbo charged setup for BMW's and if there is, someone please tell me.

When building a setup with 500whp+, I don't think you want to cheap out on your components. You might as well do it right the first time.

Based on what I know as of now, I would send my car to ICS Performance to have them build a setup that would reach my goal as they've been very experienced building and tuning the Inline-6 engines.

Furious
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
thanks for the compliment. 500 isnt a very hard to obtain goal on the s52 the problem is getting a proper tune down. with any amount of money things can be done. however consider that when you start to get over the 475rwhp mark you have to start looking into investing in upgrading and maintaining your drivetrain, chassis, and of course engine internals. a lower compression can be easily cheated using a thicker headgasket but if i were you id try to get some turbo pistons. and still use a decent HG with some ARP studs. drivetrain and chassis on the other hand will be the tricky part. the ZF tranny is known to hold a decent amount of power but i read about sparatic misshaps of them failing due to excessive power. you should also look into reinforcement of the rear end of the car as its going to take quite a beating with that amount of power especially if your aiming for 500+.

11's are very obtainable and yes 10s are a long shot but not to say it cant be done. im seeing the guys on BFC hitting 10s but again most of those guys are pushing well over 700hp . 10's are a whole new ballgame

Manimillion
11-16-2006, 09:46 AM
When building a setup with 500whp+, I don't think you want to cheap out on your components. You might as well do it right the first time.

Couldn't have said it better myself.