PDA

View Full Version : Scissor doors

djcontra
11-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know of any e36's that have scissor style doors?
I'd like to talk to the owner to ask what was involved to do this.
All I know is that they're not as involved as gull-wing doors, where you need to build a frame around the glass windows etc, and I have a basic idea of how to do it, but there's just one or two things that I can't troubleshoot in my design.

For those who dont know what this is, click the link below

http://www.streettuners.com/importrevolution2002/PA13011029255_thmb.jpg

Jon@Bimmersport
11-27-2002, 12:31 PM
im pretty sure you'd be the first one to do it, i guess you can ask a body shop for assistance because they would do this for the honda guys a lot

djcontra
11-27-2002, 12:38 PM
yeah i'm probably going to ask around to some of the body shops here in scarborough. They can create some amazing cars just down the street from me. The other day i saw an awsome supercharged acura integra with a celica front end attached to the body...it was AWSOME!

i think scissor doors on an e36 coupe would look simply sick!

Jon@Bimmersport
11-27-2002, 12:42 PM
red integra right? he was at a few shows i went to....its a GSR integra or? the s/c gsr can be deadly during a race!

djcontra
11-27-2002, 12:51 PM
naw this one was green
maybe he got it painted

phaust
11-28-2002, 01:03 PM
djcontra : i searched the web for scisor doors for a while.. not able to find something..

i heard that in quebec city. i can have the job done for about 2k.. 2k for sick doors.. it's too much for me..

i talked with few peoples.. it's one of my projects for the next summer if i don't sale the car. one of my concern is " on a 2 doors, when you open a doors, the windows drop about 5 mm.. i don't know if it's will make the project more difficult..

BMW Fan
11-28-2002, 05:45 PM
Man, I would love to get those BMW Scissor doors job done also!!!

Tell me if anyone knows who to go to and to pay for how much..BUT! what if I could do it--should I do it to all 4 drs of my 3 series?

I wanna make the car look intense!!!!!

Jon@Bimmersport
11-28-2002, 09:05 PM
those are gullwing...scissor doors are the kind on the lambo's that go straight up, and if u lean inside and close the door it chops you in half

SpoolinS6
11-28-2002, 09:48 PM
thats a seriously nice bmw man!

FastM3
11-28-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
those are gullwing...scissor doors are the kind on the lambo's that go straight up, and if u lean inside and close the door it chops you in half

chops you in half?? holy shit?? waste of money if you buy a lambo for $200 g's and then die...

hahaha

Eurostyle
11-29-2002, 12:10 AM
Ok..for all that are serious about this i know the owner of the shop that does them all the time. He just moved in a new shop just 5 minutes from my house! He did many projects you might have seen in the T.O area; V8 Corvette engined Astro van with scissor doors, Integra scissor doors (was at Darknights) and last time I was at the shop he was doing it to a 5.0 Mustang!!! Its NOT cheap but looks great!!!!*th-up*

BMW Fan
11-29-2002, 11:08 PM
about how much dude?--hope its not too much....

Eurostyle
11-30-2002, 12:17 AM
Not cheap...about $3 to $4K...

djcontra
11-30-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
Not cheap...about $3 to $4K...

ouch!
ok forget that idea. I did actually talk with some body shops and they laughed when I mentioned how I wanted it to work, and they insisted they couldn't do it, and had to cut parts of the door away to clear the fenders etc. I wanted the door to pop out on a hydraulic/shock of some kind to make clearance and then spin on the shaft 90' etc.

Looking at the hamann car though, what they've done doesn't look like it'd be as difficult to achieve. It just looks like they've relocated the hinge for the door, added a shock of some kind that lifts the door, and they've probably designed it so when it closes the shock tucks away inside the door. Also, the way it swings out looks like they use the existing door latch....hmmmmmmmmm....

i guess i'll continue dreaming for now heh

mkgino
11-30-2002, 03:59 PM
I think I can see that your E36 is gonna be the sickest one on Maxbimmer........damn:(

Soldo
12-02-2002, 05:01 PM
the hamman car DOES INDDED look nice, but whats even BETTER is whats under the hood, that M3, has a HAMANN 6.1L i believe, V12, is has something like 500+ HP, now THATS, CRAZY!!!!
check it out, its on their website!!!
oh , and contra, its not THAT much, i've tried to get that mod before till all the ginos put it on their civics, it'll cost you up to 2g's!!
no more!!!
cause no mojor boddy work has to be done!!