moerom
11-23-2002, 05:09 PM
What is offset exactly?

moerom
11-23-2002, 05:10 PM
I mean in terms of wheels...

M50E30
11-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Take a wheel off your car. Lay it on its sidewall so that the inside of the wheel (the side that faces the hub and brakes) faces up. Lay a straight-edge or something across the rim (not the tire). Measure up from the wheel's hub-mating surface to the straight-edge you laid across the rim. Subtract 1/2 the wheel's width from this measurement to get the wheel's offset.

A wheel with 0 (zero) offset has the hub mating surface exactly in the center of the wheel's width.

A wheel with a positive offset has the hub mating surface "offset" to the outside of the wheel (bringing the tire in

A wheel with a negative offset has the hub mating surface "offset" to the inside of the wheel (taking the tire away from the car and closer to the fender).

moerom
11-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Thanks bro, I appreciate it.

Does negative camber upset the balance of the suspension geomtery then? I would imagine it would put undue leverage on the unsprung portions...

M50E30
11-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Negative camber will give you a wider track...which will give you better handling. I doubt it will affect balance unless you are going for the wide out pimp look (see ugly pic below).

Please correct me if i'm wrong!,
Dave

bmwm5lover
11-27-2002, 10:55 PM
that olds looks sick!:huh?: