PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Tickets

opes
01-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Hey all,

As u can see .. I'm new to the board! Nice to see an online community with members closer to home ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if you guyz have any experiences with ontario's traffic court system. I have a hearing (for running a YELLOW - ****in cops) tommorow...I MUST get out of this ticket for sure. I have not found anyone to represent me so I was wondering how I could postpone my trial.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

KIRASIR
01-28-2002, 03:57 PM
I can't tell you how to postpone the trial. sorry.

But I have a friend who fought pretty much the same ticket, and even proved in court that the cop made a mistake regarding the location of the incident. He still got nailed for it. It only took the judge one question to the cop. He said: "How long have you been on the force?" The cop said 27 years. Boom. My friend got fined. If he had a lawyer it would've been different since technically the cop was not credible in court but it's your word vs cop's.

So either get a lawyer or pray that the cop doesn't show up.

SL

AcidSnow
01-28-2002, 04:48 PM
you should be able to call in and ask for another date, try. good thing bout that is sometimes, they don't inform the cop of the new date, so he won't be there!!!

djcontra
01-28-2002, 05:02 PM
do what i did
change the courthouse to one far away like in oshawa
the cop wont even bother travelling out that far

AzN_E46
01-28-2002, 09:38 PM
great idea....go to ottawa...even better:rolleyes:

rico328i
01-28-2002, 10:22 PM
Here are 2 things you can do. And I've done both.

If you know the name of the officer or constable. And if you recognize him. Hopefully you're with a buddy. They often schedule court dates with other people that are being charged by the same officer. Well, keep an eye out for the officer. If he's a no show - listen for the names(pay attention to the people in front of you - with the same officer), you plead not guilty. It'll get thrown out. If he shows, then you bring your buddy to represent you and ask for a later date. But be careful, the judge or whatever you call him/her, may ask for a valid reason. And they sometimes do! Also remember, the cops still get paid to come out to the hearings.......so it's a gamble.

Good luck.
Rico