PDA

View Full Version : Storing tires

propr'one
09-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Just asking general stuff, i'll be throwing her in storage in a month or so.

Storing tires, i've been told to overinflate the set that are on the car. Does this apply to sets of tires not on the car?

also, i've been told tires can "dry out". Is there anything you can coat them with to prevent that while in storage?

Any other general storage tips for rims/tires?

thanks!

jeffrie
09-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Cool dark place like a basement cold storage is perfect conditions for storing tires.
Drying out is caused by being exposed to direct sunlight & oxygen, so if kept out of the sun & baged shouldn't have any problems.
As for over inflating them it's just a percaution for them not to go flat which would cause them to be out of round if allowed to sit on a flat spot for months on end. Should also be stored up right as if still mounted on a car, not stacked on their sidwalls as this is the position they were desighned to be strongest.

BMWags
09-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Ivan, just pick up a shitty set of steelies and buy used tires so you dont wreck those nice ones you got!

Mystikal
09-03-2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=37

And post in the correct section next time. :P

notjoe
09-03-2006, 01:54 PM
I got a set of rims/tires you can use for the winter if you need a set.2 of the rubbers are brandnew

propr'one
09-03-2006, 03:10 PM
jeffrie: thanks for the advice
brent: I have winter steelies, the tires are bald and they need to make it 1000 kms (i'm not driving the car in the winter, but storing it, far, far away)

Jay, fight me.
Joe, we'll talk. I appreciate the offer, but i think there's people out there who need them more than me!