PDA

View Full Version : Falken ZE512's

Nascar318is
08-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Any insight on these tires? I did 20,000km on 2 sets of yokohama's avs es 100's At a tad over a G a set it gets expensive... I have a stock 318is so I can't burn them for crap. I also have major camber issue's in the rear, i need to pick up a camber kit. I think I'm getting a good deal, $123 each for 225/45zr17's. Maybe someone should shed some light on these? Maybe Jay...

Mystikal
08-29-2006, 11:24 AM
They're damn good for cheap street tires. I've used them twice now, and I may keep going. They don't last any longer than sticky summer tires though, so don't expect all-season-like longevity.

Nascar318is
08-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Cool thanks, good to know, I think I might just get them afterall.

Mystikal
08-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah, hard to go wrong.

Their main downsides are short life, and soft sidewalls. Run a higher PSI with these than other high performance tires.

Nascar318is
08-29-2006, 10:01 PM
K thanks, That's what I was reading around the web, soft sidewall. That's why I was hesitating and asking on here. But I'm sure the tread life will be longer then my AVS ES100's...at least one full year April-November?

Mystikal
08-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I bought mine in April, put 17k on them so far. Still at least 5-6/32nds left on each tire.

They'll make it into my winter changover, and I'll buy another set next year.

T.Dot_E30
08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I bought mine in April, put 17k on them so far. Still at least 5-6/32nds left on each tire.

They'll make it into my winter changover, and I'll buy another set next year.

Damn you drive hard.

I got 15k on the set I bought in spring and they are still looking new. Around 8-9/32nds i'd say.

BMW BMXer
08-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Ya my set still looks pretty cherry, they will make it into next year no problem. But I run shit in the winter.

jboy_328
08-31-2006, 02:13 AM
i have the falken 451's and i love um.
good wear, good traction and good looks =)

Nascar318is
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks Jay, that was the answer I was looking for. I bought my Yoko Es 100's in April and they are toast. It's my second set in the rears, and I'm still on the same set in the front. I did about 12K worth of driving. All I hear is the wear bars on the road(tack, tack, tack) Still have about 2-2.5 months left of Driving, I won't make it to winter with these. I should really buy that camber kit, the rear has a -2 degree, hence the fast wearing down. Also it's a 318is, and I couldn't burn the tires if my life dependid on it, it's just that f-ing camber.

NOMSG
09-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Hey Jay, I have these tires on my 16X7 Alpinas... what pressure do you recommend? I've been going by the door jam sticker - 32PSI all around.

Thanks,
TN.

... Run a higher PSI with these than other high performance tires.

Mystikal
09-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, if you don't notice that they are too soft, leave them alone.

If they've always felt a little weak-kneed, then raise it some (perhaps 36psi). For what it's worth, I ended up at 38psi all around on 225/50/15s, and under 9/10ths and harder driving they're still a little too unresponsive for me.

May get more sporty tires next time.

europrince
09-28-2006, 12:35 AM

If they've always felt a little weak-kneed, then raise it some (perhaps 36psi). For what it's worth, I ended up at 38psi all around on 225/50/15s, and under 9/10ths and harder driving they're still a little too unresponsive for me.

Unresponsive is what I keep hearing about them. You get what you pay for.

Axxe
09-28-2006, 01:26 AM
^^ They grip a lot better than 99% of tires in their price range, and have a nice progressive release of grip at the limit. I'd imagine if they were shaved to 6/32nds they would make a bitchin' tire, but wouldn't last long haha.

King Luis
09-29-2006, 10:03 AM
i've had mine for 2 years now with around 35k in them. take note that i had alignment issues for about 10k when i got them, then i've lowered the car and another 10k with it lowered and an alignment hasn't been done.
insides are bald-ing. but they wore nicely and provide a nice ride.
like axxe said, when at or going past their limit, you feel that they are going, they don't just break on you.
winter weather is a no no. you can steer and break but getting the car going is kinda tough in deep snow.
love the tires. amazing price for what they are.

Mystikal
09-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Unresponsive is what I keep hearing about them. You get what you pay for.

Not exactly. They are all-season performance tires, and it's very difficult to listen to peer reviews. 95% of the buyers have no idea where the limits of the tires and/or their car is. Hell, from my many years around the local BMW scene I know for certain that the majority of members have no idea what they're talking about in regards to performance equipment, because they never get close to the limits or have experience with other setups.

You can clearly see this in some of the reviews they give of known poor products/setups, for example the people who lower their cars 3" with springs and swear it handles great. I remember I once had a bunch of guys telling me how they cut the springs on an E30 and how amazing it handles, nice and stiff. I went up to the car and put a bit of load on the body, only to find that there was no longer any suspension to speak of; the car was resting on its bumpstops. The numerous guys there who had driven and riden in the car had NO idea.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is a more compliant sidewall is a good thing for 95%+ of the drivers out there. They are never at the limits, and a softer ride is no doubt more useful to them than instant steering response. There's nothing more frustrating to me than seeing big-buck performance cars (like M's or AMG's) commuting around quietly day after day on $500/ea tires designed at 200mph. A tire that is very sticky like the ZE-512 will provide the excellent braking traction that those tires can, but also have less complex technology elsewhere, technology that is a complete waste on most buyers.

Mystikal
09-30-2006, 11:07 AM
^^ They grip a lot better than 99% of tires in their price range, and have a nice progressive release of grip at the limit. I'd imagine if they were shaved to 6/32nds they would make a bitchin' tire, but wouldn't last long haha.

You ever notice that the ZE-512's are dual compound? Now that I'm past 5/32nds their wet traction has turned from sublime to just good. Spinning the tires was almost impossible in the wet before, now 2nd gear at 2000rpm can fling me sideways (though not without entertainment).

Still well within the capability range of other tires in its class, just not nearly as incredible as when they are in their first 50%.

Mystikal
09-30-2006, 11:08 AM
i've had mine for 2 years now with around 35k in them. take note that i had alignment issues for about 10k when i got them, then i've lowered the car and another 10k with it lowered and an alignment hasn't been done.
insides are bald-ing. but they wore nicely and provide a nice ride.
like axxe said, when at or going past their limit, you feel that they are going, they don't just break on you.
winter weather is a no no. you can steer and break but getting the car going is kinda tough in deep snow.
love the tires. amazing price for what they are.

Should be noted that Luis here is using the 60-series version of the tire, which is less aggressive of a tread compound than the 55-series and below. DO NOT expect that much treadwear on other profile sizes.

NOMSG
10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks guru-Jay... do you work in a tire shop? I'm going with your recommendation (sticky on tires/wheels) for 195/60-15 Nokians on 15X7 rims.

TN.

Mystikal
10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Nope, just a tire-obsessed freak. Although the idea of my own business hasn't escaped me...

Axxe
10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
You ever notice that the ZE-512's are dual compound? Now that I'm past 5/32nds their wet traction has turned from sublime to just good. Spinning the tires was almost impossible in the wet before, now 2nd gear at 2000rpm can fling me sideways (though not without entertainment).

Still well within the capability range of other tires in its class, just not nearly as incredible as when they are in their first 50%.

Yeah, they did get pretty bad near the end. Didn't matter much tho, since I burned 'em off at the track and doing random donuts/burnouts EVERYWHERE.

T.Dot_E30
10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Nope, just a tire-obsessed freak. Although the idea of my own business hasn't escaped me...

There is no money in tires anymore......too much competition.

europrince
10-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Not exactly. They are all-season performance tires, and it's very difficult to listen to peer reviews. 95% of the buyers have no idea where the limits of the tires and/or their car is. Hell, from my many years around the local BMW scene I know for certain that the majority of members have no idea what they're talking about in regards to performance equipment, because they never get close to the limits or have experience with other setups.

You can clearly see this in some of the reviews they give of known poor products/setups, for example the people who lower their cars 3" with springs and swear it handles great. I remember I once had a bunch of guys telling me how they cut the springs on an E30 and how amazing it handles, nice and stiff. I went up to the car and put a bit of load on the body, only to find that there was no longer any suspension to speak of; the car was resting on its bumpstops. The numerous guys there who had driven and riden in the car had NO idea.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is a more compliant sidewall is a good thing for 95%+ of the drivers out there. They are never at the limits, and a softer ride is no doubt more useful to them than instant steering response. There's nothing more frustrating to me than seeing big-buck performance cars (like M's or AMG's) commuting around quietly day after day on $500/ea tires designed at 200mph. A tire that is very sticky like the ZE-512 will provide the excellent braking traction that those tires can, but also have less complex technology elsewhere, technology that is a complete waste on most buyers.
Thanks for that note :)

Mystikal
10-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Just got the newest Consumer Reports, the ZE-512 is still in the top 3 for both H and V rated performance all-seasons. The one thing holding them down in the test results? Treadwear, just like I said. :)

europrince
10-05-2006, 12:14 PM
do they come in W rating?

Mystikal
10-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Yep. http://www.falkentire.com/ziex512_sizes.html

europrince
10-06-2006, 12:20 AM
thanks. i got a quote a while ago for 150/tire for 235/45/17. ended up going with kumho asx's for 165. i may just try these next spring.

6packbear
10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
thanks for the tire advice. Just got my new wheels this spring. Was lucky enough to get a complete set of exactly what I wanted in chrome. I went with Falkens but heard they wear quickly. Oh well, the wheels are coming off for the winter now. Thanks again.

STALKER
10-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Anyone running Falken Azenis RT-615?