PDA

View Full Version : Feeler for parting out engine internals.

notjoe
08-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of parting out all the internals of my engine.

Value springs
Valves
Cams
Crank
Oil Pump
Connecting Rods
Pistons
Differential Mount
Tranny Mounts
Engine Mounts
and whatever else is in there.

LMK if you might want some of these stuff

The Sly
08-17-2006, 03:13 PM
tell us which engine it is!

JazzM
08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Looks like its the M52 B28

T.

propr'one
08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
i doubt it, joe's 328 is in great shape. However, a eurosport twinscrew on stock internals might be rough on the motor, so....:D

notjoe
08-17-2006, 07:31 PM
i doubt it, joe's 328 is in great shape. However, a eurosport twinscrew on stock internals might be rough on the motor, so....:D

Hit the nail with the hammer :)

The parts are/would be coming off an s52 engine :)

I'll also entertain offers for the whole engine :eek:

ZiMMie
08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
wat's wrong with the motor?

notjoe
08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
wat's wrong with the motor?

Absolutely NOTHING! This thing purrs like a kitten and pulls HARD, just ask Ivan. it hit 198rwhp on the dyno.

I am thinking about bringing in an engine from the US and building it up so that i can run with 15psi all day long but if i dont buy another engine then i'll part everything i dont need out from this one....I like the idea of having a backup engine just incase the main one goes.

But at about 4800USD + Duties to bring one in i am still shopping around a bit as well as deciding on what new parts to get.

I'm looking to buy :
ARP BMW Head Stud Kits: ARP M50/M52/S50(US)/S52(US) Head Stud Kit
Arrow Connecting Rods: Arrow E36 M3 Con Rod, S50,S52, 135mm
E36 Euro Oil Cooler Kit
M50/M52/S50/S52 High Performance Valve Springs, 24 pcs
S52 (US) CP Forged Piston Set, 8.5:1 CR
S52 Euro Valve Kit (24) 7mm Valve Stem

SickFinga
08-17-2006, 07:58 PM
First, find out if you can even run 15psi with your supercharger. It could be maxed out.
Second, if its not, just get thicker headgasket. You dont need all those fancy stuff for 15psi.

notjoe
08-17-2006, 08:12 PM
i think 15psi is the most the TS SC will do but there is a 2ltr TS SC coming out sometime in the future which i should be able to bolt on.

That being said what do you think some of the most important things to do are when rebuilding? I know the s52 motor has forged connecting rods so i bet i could drop those off my list.

Am i better off to replace all stock internals and throw in forged pistons so that at worst i dont ruin the block?

I'm really a n00b with this stuff so you'll have to forgive my stupidity :)

Mystikal
08-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I think you're insane for wanting more than the power a 9psi twin-screw provides. You'll already be at or past the limits of the driveline, and no tire you can jam under there will actually be able to hook up properly.

I'm all for doing the best setup once and not wasting time/money, but I think you're going overkill Joe. Just bulding up the clutch/diff/exahust/tires to handle 435+hp will cost you enough.

notjoe
08-17-2006, 09:35 PM
I think you're insane for wanting more than the power a 9psi twin-screw provides. You'll already be at or past the limits of the driveline, and no tire you can jam under there will actually be able to hook up properly.

I'm all for doing the best setup once and not wasting time/money, but I think you're going overkill Joe. Just bulding up the clutch/diff/exahust/tires to handle 435+hp will cost you enough.

The problem is i dont know how long this engine will hold for under those kind of loads. so i thinking that i could take the time now to learn and rebuild an engine from the ground up using parts that wont mind if i beat on it a little and have it ready to be thown in one day.

But the 2nd motor might not pan out due to cost so maybe i'll have this one rebuilt when it goes ka-boom

Mystikal
08-17-2006, 11:08 PM
It may be weird of me to say this, but I'd go with the second route. Your motor is really not that old in the grand scheme of things, and as a second car you can afford downtime (in there will be any) in the future.

Don't crack open perfectly good motors!

Ant118
08-18-2006, 03:54 PM
JAY, Buy the motor and do a Transplant. :D

e30_kid89
08-18-2006, 04:33 PM
gimme that aluminum block w/the pistons @ rods and crank........for freEEEE*love*

punnzzells
08-18-2006, 08:06 PM
notjoe,

what are you looking to get for that motor... it's a complete S52 correct? I know someone looking for one.. pls pm me all the details.

thx.

mike

thinair
08-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Joe, don't worry about your motor holding up. It will, and probably for a long long time. As said before, because you do have two working vehicles just drive it until the motor blows up (which it won't). The S52 (and M52) has a forged bottom end. Basically if you really feel the need to beef up the current engine, just get ARP head bolts, that's it. Get used to having +400hp under your right foot first before worrying about eeking all the power out of the motor.

Personally, if you want to spend money on your car, invest it elsewhere for now, like safety, upgrade the brake pads and fluid, tires, suspension bushings. Those are the things you're going to notice getting tired quickly once you bolt the blower on, not the motor.

notjoe
08-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Joe, don't worry about your motor holding up. It will, and probably for a long long time. As said before, because you do have two working vehicles just drive it until the motor blows up (which it won't). The S52 (and M52) has a forged bottom end. Basically if you really feel the need to beef up the current engine, just get ARP head bolts, that's it. Get used to having +400hp under your right foot first before worrying about eeking all the power out of the motor.

Personally, if you want to spend money on your car, invest it elsewhere for now, like safety, upgrade the brake pads and fluid, tires, suspension bushings. Those are the things you're going to notice getting tired quickly once you bolt the blower on, not the motor.

Thanks for the advice bro. I'm definitively going to be doing a lot of what you mentioned but i'll probably be holding off until spring before i do anything. If i was going to rebuild i would have picked the parts up over the winter and done it but hopefully the engine lasts for a couple of summers :)

You're gonna have to give me some drifting pointers :)