PDA

View Full Version : Differential blew !

Luke318is
08-15-2006, 04:22 AM
A while ago my diff was making a knocking sound during deceleration so i figured it was on its way out.

Anyways the sound completely dissapeared.....but i bought a 4.10 LSD to replace it (wasnt LSD before) incase something did go wrong.

Anyways lastnight (like 30 days later) the diff started letting off a LOUD howling noise...and then it started to smoke like a bitch...so i guess its totally shot...

Anyone ever seen smoke come out of a dying diff?

And yes i had recently filled the gear oil....

Car is at Island Motorsport as i speak...getting the 4.10 LSD.

Slowered318
08-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Wrong gear oil maybe?

I broke mine a few years back.. but didn't drive it to the point where it started smoking! LOL

Factory 318is diffs are junk

Luke318is
08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Naw i put proper gear oil in it...it was just a diff with 300k on it and it was ready to go.

anyone know what diff. is in the ix?

my diff could be causing the grinding noise in my 325is....im thinking of swapping

uh..if this classifies as a threadjacking please ignore*angel*

The first thing i thought of was diff in your case. get someone to lay down in the back seat and listen to see if the noise is coming from the center of the vehicle. ...or put it up on a hoist if you can.

Is the noise during decel AND accel?

Luke318is
08-15-2006, 04:26 PM
FOrgot to mention.....i put in the lowering springs at the same time as the diff....its a lot nicer looking...and less body roll. Ive only got sideways once with the new diff and man it was a lot nicer.

Ill post before.after pics of height in a bit.