PDA

View Full Version : !!!!!!!!!!!Etest FAILED!!!!!!!!!

kapt_krickee
08-12-2006, 03:00 PM
*mumble*

oh well, luckily I have donor cars...pulled the entire exhaust system out of the donor is...it passed with the previous owner...the mechanic that did the diagnostic is guessing that its the faulty cat............

anyways..anything you guys would suggest? I don't want it to fail again*sad*

thanks in advance

ps..1990 325IS

T.Dot_E30
08-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I tune-up if you havn't done one recently.

Maybe a new o2 sensor.

calegrant
08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
A red bill, that usually does the trick. If he's an asshole brown may be required. Yes, I am serious.

1BADRIDE
08-12-2006, 09:08 PM
The cat can't be faulty - it's brand new (well, new as in never installed on a vehicle prior to that one).

O2 is recent as well.

Did you change the plugs like I mentioned? Plugs are older.

What were the readings?

woofster
08-12-2006, 09:29 PM
With older cars, many times it is the cat. However, I would definitely check the less expensive items first, like the sensors, valves, plugs and ignition wires.

Boris The Blade
08-13-2006, 03:24 AM
I have the same problem. I just recently failed emissions test, I was over about 100 point. I explained to the guy that the car has been sitting for 2 years, he said to put a fuel system cleaner and fill the tank. do you guy think this will work? I dont want to fail again too... :rolleyes: I'm guessing maybe it was bad gas in the car because the car passed inspection with flying colors the last time i inspected it then shortly after the car was parked for 2 years.

i think i could use a new o2 sensor too, my 02 sensor light is lit *mumble*

BMW325BMW
08-13-2006, 04:38 AM
A red bill, that usually does the trick. If he's an asshole brown may be required. Yes, I am serious.

in my case it cost me a brown and a red *th-up*

woofster
08-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I have the same problem. I just recently failed emissions test, I was over about 100 point. I explained to the guy that the car has been sitting for 2 years, he said to put a fuel system cleaner and fill the tank. do you guy think this will work? I dont want to fail again too... :rolleyes: I'm guessing maybe it was bad gas in the car because the car passed inspection with flying colors the last time i inspected it then shortly after the car was parked for 2 years.

i think i could use a new o2 sensor too, my 02 sensor light is lit *mumble*

Which category were you 100 points over? HC, CO, NO? Idle or at speed?

It's also important to run the car up to normal operating temperatures before subjecting it to the emissions test. I know a lot of places don't do this.

Boris The Blade
08-13-2006, 10:42 AM
it was the NO should have been 534 or something and mine was 611
I can get the exact figures later, thier in my car. I'm also having a really hard time starting my car now. I stored the car with like almost no gas in it. Maybe the crap at the bottom of the tank clogged my fuel filter:confused: not sure. I'm gonna buy one today.

point is my car 2 years ago ran great and now crappy :confused:

e30countess
08-13-2006, 11:41 AM
If you left the car for long with almost an empty tank you probably have condensation or moisture build up forming corrosion inside your system.

Boris The Blade
08-13-2006, 12:01 PM
so what do I do to fix this problem...

europrince
08-13-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't know about you, but instead of guessing at what the problem is, I usually have it hooked up to a diagnostic computer.

e30countess
08-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Ya the computer will tell you if you have any leaks. Also you sometimes smell if you have leaks. Otherwise it is role up the sleeves, open the hood and/or pop the car on the hoist and start inspecting your whole fuel system, starting with the tank.

1BADRIDE
08-14-2006, 05:56 PM
If you left the car for long with almost an empty tank you probably have condensation or moisture build up forming corrosion inside your system.

I doubt this will have an effect on emissions, moreso Boris' NO readings.

Europrince has the right idea.

Boris: Do the usuals - change the oil, FILL THE TANK WITH GOOD FUEL and run it down - repeat, reset the computer, change the plugs, and test your sensors. Unless you smell fuel, I would highly doubt there is a leak.

I *think* a bad NO reading points more to the catalytic than anything else, but I could be wrong. Verify with your local e-test techs.

Kapt Krickee - UPDATES?

kapt_krickee
08-15-2006, 02:07 AM
hey guys..thanks for all the input *th-up*
I've already removed the donor exhaust system from header to muffler(all one peice with a new cat..pain in the a$$) this donor car passed when tested btw

so..getting that put in tomorrow..was going to do this either way anyways...
i'll ask him to double check oxygen sensor too...and I'll do the spark plugs..i use sunoco to fuel up...castrol GTX for the oil change...hmm..

he ran the diagnostics and everything checked out except for what his guess is ..the cat...says its supposed to lower the temp of the fumes b4 it gets out of the car? ..er...or was it the other way around?...but this wasn't happening with the cat on there now.......

again..thanks guys for all the help & support*wave*

Luke318is
08-15-2006, 04:19 AM
My god am i glad that we dont have these laws here....sounds like total bullshit.