PDA

View Full Version : clunk&grind...what what what

kapt_krickee
08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
clunkin in the back..and grinding noise when goin' reaaaal slow..from the back as well...

what is it???*sad*

1990 black 325IS 5spd...1BADRIDE's ride...........

1BADRIDE
08-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Check all the exhaust hangers - all there? (clunking possibility) and double check that no part of the exhaust is hitting the underside (just in case).

Grinding? Never mentioned that when you guys took it out for a boot... I'd suspect those ass-cross drilled rotors maybe a sticking pad? ...swap the rotors out for your OE ones! Is the grinding new or after the drive home?

DON'T FORGET TO DO THE OIL CHANGE! ;)

...and post pics! :)

Bandi
08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
What about the rear shock mounts? They make a hell of a racket when the rubber craps out.

kapt_krickee
08-10-2006, 01:59 AM
hmm..yah i'll check the exhaust..not worried if thats the problem cuz I have 2 spares..one OEM from the ix..(wait..if that fits..) and the other is aftermarket on the other 'is' donor...
the mounts I'm not worried again if thats the culprit since I've just ordered a suspension overhaul from turnermotorsport...(bilsteins,H&R's,with full suspension mounting kit including all the mounts etc..and some sways..)

and yah, brake swapping asap:D got some nice ones on the donor 'is' as well...

the grinding I never noticed on the test drive-but no worries Rahul-I'm not crappin your name-I LOVE the car..its awesome...be more awesome soon when the above arrive..plus the toyoT1R's.......*par-t* thanks for the ride man!!

hmm..ok..so I'll try all that...--thanks guys!*th-up*

ps..what do you guys think about me sticking the ix arches on the IS?? I like how they chunkified the look of the e30 on the ix...........has matching side skirts too...........:P

craz azn
08-10-2006, 02:03 AM
YES.. iX skirts on teh iS,.... I was gonna do the same to mine... but other plans and $$ probs got in the way, hahaha

kapt_krickee
08-10-2006, 02:31 AM
ps..oil change was done a few hours ago.(and oil filter obviously)*th-up*
...plus almost new air filter from ix(had a full tuneup b4 I lost 'er.....

added in some new fuses fromt the ix for the heated seat switches..and shampoo'd the engine quickly as well..it'll need another once over, cuz it was getting dark quick...summer must be going........*mumble*

oh..also did my friend Bryan's shoe polish on the leather trick..works amazing-he suggests giving it a buff after...and veggie oil once in awhile to keep it soft...-ish

also added in some bolts that were missing when the driver side fender was replaced...:huh?:

and also stuck my Mteck II steering wheel in...

anyways..going for emissions test tomorrow...with the oil change i'm sure it'll pass just fine*shiner*

BMW325BMW
08-10-2006, 03:45 AM
clunkin in the back..and grinding noise when goin' reaaaal slow..from the back as well...

what is it???*sad*

1990 black 325IS 5spd...1BADRIDE's ride...........

when u find out what it is please give details and pics... i may have the same problem, but to date am still unable to find the culprit. *th-up*

markh
08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
A grinding or rumbling from the rear when you are turning at slow speeds could be a rear wheel bearing.

kapt_krickee
08-12-2006, 02:55 PM
ok, will def. post when I find out what it is...yah wheel bearing was my first thought...had that prob. with the ix a few times*mumble*

Wannabe
08-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I have that same problem!

kapt_krickee
08-15-2006, 02:10 AM
hahaha...seems to be a popular e30 quirk...well..my suspension overhaul should be here this week or next...including new mounts(repair kit from turnermotorsports) with sways(and new sway mounts too)

so..if it stops after all that i'll let you guys know...

if not the hunt is on!!

i still say its a bearing..

Wannabe
08-15-2006, 10:25 AM
excuse my ignorance.. but where are the wheel bearing's in the rear end?

Slowered318
08-15-2006, 01:08 PM
excuse my ignorance.. but where are the wheel bearing's in the rear end?

:eek:

directly in the center behind the wheel is the "hub" in the "hub" is the bearing.

...sorry im a know-it-all :)

Luke318is
08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Is it louder in turns?, cuz that is a sign of a wheel bearing problem.

Check for differential noise as well.

punnzzells
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Also check that the rear shafts look good... my car used to make that ERR RRR noise when I would turn, but then I bought a set of rear cnc eurethane shock mounts and it did the trick!

Kapt_Krickee...

found storage this winter for my car at a buddy's shop... so I am kinda glad things worked out the way they did... :D
mike

kapt_krickee
08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
hey thats awesome to here Punz!

i ordered the hole repair kit thing with my suspension overhaul..so..maybe thats it