PDA

View Full Version : Front toe alignments....

craz azn
08-04-2006, 12:06 AM
What do you guys set your toe settings at?? I'm assuming your gonna set it different for track and street... Also what is the stock alignment usually set at??

I just did a wheel alignment tonight so I don't chew up my new tires (RT615s*th-up* ) I ended up setting it at a hair over 1/8" toe-out as a happy medium for street/agressive driving/limited track use..... any opinions???

T.Dot_E30
08-04-2006, 01:01 AM
aren't the specs that are called for slightly tow in?

I believe mine was set at 0.1 (inward).

europrince
08-04-2006, 01:22 AM
A front toe of mine needs alignment too. I hit a bannister....

Axxe
08-05-2006, 02:47 AM
Zero is best for tirewear and a good sacrifice for turn in. I had my alligned (not so precisely with measuring tape) to zero, was pretty good.

craz azn
08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
:D was it pretty good??? I had thought mine was 'pretty good', turned out I was driving for half a year with over 1/4" toe out, ended up scrubbing the crap outta my 17s.. and then the 14s...... so umm... yeah, you sure?? LOL... BTW its still too early to tell if this toe-out business is gonna hurt my new tires.

Mystikal
08-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Charlie's eyeballing worked for me.

I didn't tell you that.

craz azn
08-05-2006, 09:30 PM
LOL. I hope your not serious...

Mystikal
08-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Sadly, I am. I had him replace about everything in the front end in the winter (even springs to a different length), and I still have yet to get a damn alignment. But he did a good job, because my 225's are wearing perfectly evenly, and at my normal rate also.

I'll still take any flames. I'm a retard, which is mainly due to working way too much.

Axxe
08-08-2006, 01:08 AM
I don't wear my tires out through abnormal toe wear. I wear outside shoulders the fastest, front and back :D

BMW BMXer
08-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I never got my car aligned after I lowered it. I eyeballed it. Look at my steering wheel when you are driving beside me next cruise.

I am going to fix it at somepoint.. when I do my control arm bushings, I got to take a day off to do that shit though, working full time sucks.

Mystikal
08-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Are you fighting a pull? If not, just re-centre the wheel. You probably know that though.

And yeah, 9-5 (or 9-9 in my case) sucks for the car. Good for my account though.

T.Dot_E30
08-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Are you fighting a pull? If not, just re-centre the wheel. You probably know that though.

And yeah, 9-5 (or 9-9 in my case) sucks for the car. Good for my account though.

Damn I thought i was the only one working 12 hours shifts. Working + having a gf and going to see her 3-4 times a week in brampton -= no time for the car.

I haven't gotten a chance to wash my car in a few weeks and when I do, it rains.

Chris de la Cruz
08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
12 hour days suck.. i haven't washed the car in 2 weeks.

Axxe
08-09-2006, 03:53 AM
16 hr days suck more, and no E30 to boot.

ZiMMie
08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
i guess am not alone workin hard.
7-Days a week. 8-10 hours a day.

When my car eventually make it home, Im takin a month of work.

BTW Charlie doesnt have an alignment machine?I Was Plannin on gettin my front end Bushing, rods,etc changed @ his place.

Axxe
08-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Mike, buy me some beer and we'll do your shit

everlast
08-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Here is how to do a perfect alignment in your driveway:

First, spray some penetrating oil on the outer tie rod adjusters. Then get a glossy magazine and rip 20 pages out of it. Make two piles of 10 pages on the floor and drive your car onto them so the front tires are squarely on top of each pile.

Next, get two jackstands and put them behind the car, roughly in line with the outside of the vehicle's edge.

Then tie a string to one stand and run it all the way around the car at the height of the center of the tires and tie it to the other stand.

Adjust the string / stands so that the string just touches both edges of the rear tires. The string will now be aimed straight at the front wheels.

Center your steering wheel. It will turn easy thanks to the magazine pages under the tires. If your car was zeroed, then the string would be touching both edges of all four tires. Specs for an E30 call for 1/16th of an inch of toe in on both wheels. This means the front of the wheel should be 1/16th of an inch away from the string, with the string still touching the rear of the front wheel and BOTH edges of the rear wheel.

Toe out would be terrible for the street IMO. Zero is even too twitchy at high speed. Things change slightly when your car is lowered since the ride height doesn't change as much at high speed than with the factory set up, but I'd still do 1/16" toe in.

I did this and took the car to a local dealer after, and they didn't need to adjust anything.

Cheers.

Axxe
08-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Everlast, that's wrong. If you have toe IN, the front of the tire would touch the string, not the rear of the tire.

^ Front of Car

/ \ Toe IN

\ / Toe Out

| | Zero

JazzM
08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
He's talking about the part of the tire closest to the front or the rear.

With toe in, the outside edge closest to the back of the car will touch the string. The opposite will happen with toe out.
^ - front of the car

/ \_ toe in where the '_' is that is where the string will touch

_
\ / toe out

_
| |_ zero toe.

Toe in helps with high speed stability. However toe out is better for handling but can be dangerous in slipery situations as the car will go in the direction of the wheel that has the most grip.

T.

Axxe
08-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh ok, I thought he meant from the inside of the tire for some reason. Slow day and I'm exhausted.

ZiMMie
08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Mike, buy me some beer and we'll do your shit
its really more than u think :D
But ill let u know.