PDA

View Full Version : Doing a winter slam

TOLOFOU
11-17-2002, 03:54 PM
This winter IM doing the unthinkable.. I am taking out the H&R race springs and the Koni adjustable shocks along with a few extra goodies .. To make way for a full air ride suspension..I want to slam the car way past the limits and raise her for normal drive..

If anyone has info on this and can help..Please let me know since this wll be the first E30 Ive ever seen with the Air ride suspension..

Reason I want this is I can do side to side-pancake slam-tire lift.

Rob

Jon@Bimmersport
11-17-2002, 04:00 PM
wont this really affect handling?

TOLOFOU
11-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Accually I will be able to tune the performance from inside the car instead of going with what have installed.. I can make the ride stiff to soft in seconds in four points in the ride..I mostly show the car but for perfmance. The sensous say that most either go with air/hydo or coilover

Rob

Jon@Bimmersport
11-17-2002, 04:28 PM
we are talkin bout hyrdraulics right? like you can pop 1 end up and slam the other?

BMW BMXer
11-17-2002, 04:33 PM
hes talking airbags jon

Kinda like dros put no pumps dumps or hydrulic fluid

Compressor, Bags, some sylinoids

Are you going to be using air struts?
If you don't know what air struts are Ill be sure to giveu some sites when I get back to my moms house

TOLOFOU
11-17-2002, 04:34 PM
Yes its like hydrolics but its air ran by compressers. Not a real fan of the hydrolics but have not ruled them totally out..

Same idea but different..

TOLOFOU
11-17-2002, 04:36 PM
I think air strut are my only choice but dont think I can get a full down to the frame lowwer..I like the bags but the struts are more durable

BMW BMXer
11-17-2002, 04:46 PM
If your gonna use just bags over air strucs I belive you will have to fab up brackets and so forth

http://www.suicidedoors.com/gallery/2_lg.jpg

Pic of bags and brackets on an s-10, thats more to show jon than you

and if you are gonna go for bags I say go all the way and make sure that bad boy lays flat

M50E30
11-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Air bags are meant for California style lowriders. The air bags replace the spring which is the main support of your car.

1. Under normal driving the bag (wich replaces your spring) is fully inflated (stiff).

2. When it is fully lowered (totaly soft) there is no ride at all.

3. Now if you want a lowerd car look while driving your car will be all over the place due to the fact that the bag is very soft and will wobble! Why? There is no support in the bag. Air struts do because they have a shaft in the middle and I still wouldn't drive with them lowered.

So there is no in between setting if you think about it.

Dave

TOLOFOU
11-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Sure there is a between setting..Sure you can ride fully loaded or at half poundage but being at a full dropp would be scraping ground..

I see this setup on many rides and even on very dropped euro cars..

Why is this, if its not a pros choice?

I may do the cylinders instead of the bags but I want to take my car to a lowweing shop and ask first..

Rob

M50E30
11-18-2002, 01:19 AM
I didn't say that you couldn't drive with it fully inflated. It is jut that I have been told that there is no "in between" setting for daily driving.

I have a '91 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon as a long term project. I wanted the air bag system to do everything (ie: lowered ride hight, frame on the ground, and a high setting for those big speed bumps) but at the time it wasn't possible. Has things changed with air bag technology that much? I hope not because I would sound like an idiot. ;) :D LOL!

I actually would like to see your car with an air bag kit because it would definatly be unique! I wouldn't be able to use bags because i'm going for the track/show/street look!

Dave
*th-up*

P.S.: Don't be afraid of the hardcore BMW enthusiasts. They are just afraid of change (and image too!).

gsbadbmr
11-18-2002, 02:15 AM
Do It! My friend installed the airbag suspension on his acura, and the ride isn't bad at all. He also drives it really slammed. Here's a pic of the "ride height" he used for every day driving.

***sorry, it's not a bimmer!

gsbadbmr
11-18-2002, 02:18 AM
Here's another "friend" with airbag suspension

TOLOFOU
11-18-2002, 08:39 AM
Times are always changing and iM sure that my M3 will do the slam like these pics.. looks too good not to try..

Rob

gsbadbmr
11-18-2002, 12:26 PM
I Agree %100. Your car will look CRAZY dropped another 3-4 inches. Just think, you pull into somewhere to park your car, hit the button, and your car sinks to the ground, it's WICKED!*th-up*

Also, if anyone wants to try and steal your car, they are going to have a MUCH harder time due to the fact that you are sitting too low! Good luck!!!:D

thinair
11-18-2002, 10:00 PM
I believe you will need air struts for the front, air bags will work for the rear.
Without some sort of strut, there really isn't anything but air holding the camber of the front wheels while cornering/braking.

Notice the pic of the s-10 with the airbags, there are two added suspension arms going to the axle to keep it from moving around. The pickup with stock leaf springs, the actual springs hold the rear axle in alignment.

TOLOFOU
11-18-2002, 10:06 PM
IM going to have a shop do the work and IM sure I found a local custom shop that suits for the high end market..They will do a kick ass job and will set it up proper. And a quote is still under 2K...

Miguel
11-20-2002, 12:23 AM
how do the rims go into the wheel well like that? :eek:
anybody know some toronto shops that can do it under $2.5K?
...ya right.

RobRob
11-26-2002, 02:35 PM
*th-up*
http://www.steveprew.com/DSCN0090.JPG

vodomagoo
11-28-2002, 10:43 PM
shure it will look good but handeling wont be up to par at all wont be able to track the car for shit too, if ur into it then get it done right the 1st time. firestone bags are supposed to be the best.