PDA

View Full Version : Cat connection to cat back pipes

Halfbroken
07-26-2006, 04:13 AM
Here is the story:
I recently got a hold of an Ireland Engineering cat back, (my old muffler was really rusting away pretty bad). Couple of weeks ago, I went down to change the cat back. Well, the bots from the cat and cat back pipes were rusted to hell. I smacked one of the rusted flanges and it broke in half. (That's how much rust was building up.) So anyways, I started to look at the cat itself. The cat is rusting away pretty bad. The shield is so rusted, the yellowish fabric is visible. So, I've found another used cat.

Here is the problem:
But the used cat has no flanges remaining. Is there any aftermarket clamps that allows a flangeless cat to connect to the cat back system? Might be a noob question, but I have searched and not found anything...

Thanks.

Halfbroken
07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Anyone out there with a suggestion?

Jordan
07-27-2006, 12:51 PM
you are going to need to buy a GOOD used section, not another junk one.

Halfbroken
07-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Alright. Thanks.

btw, i hear people use a sawzal to disconnect the cat from the cat back. If that's the case, how do they over come the problem of having the remaing bolt stuck insdie? Seems like they too would need a new flange...

Jordan
07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I know, my E36 has the same problem. :(

NOTORIOUS VR
07-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Here is the problem:
But the used cat has no flanges remaining. Is there any aftermarket clamps that allows a flangeless cat to connect to the cat back system? Might be a noob question, but I have searched and not found anything...

Thanks.

You could always have an exhaust flange welded on to the opening of the cat... not a big deal...

Halfbroken
07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I wish I could weld myself. But I'm looking for a bolt on solution. I think the only way right now is to find a cat with an existing flange on the cat. Thanks though.

NOTORIOUS VR
07-28-2006, 12:39 AM
I wish I could weld myself. But I'm looking for a bolt on solution. I think the only way right now is to find a cat with an existing flange on the cat. Thanks though.

just bring the cat to a muffler shop.. they shouldn't charge more then $20-30 for the flange and to weld it...

Halfbroken
07-28-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm going to ask a muffler shop. Thanks.