PDA

View Full Version : GC Koni adjustables

King Luis
07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
are they gas or oil shocks???
i'm talking about the custom koni yellows you get from ground control? anyone know?

ZiMMie
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
oil.

cisco911
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think its both, it is oil filled, but has some gas in it as well. Why is it important? Koni is great...you won't be disappointed!

ZiMMie
07-25-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think its both, it is oil filled, but has some gas in it as well. Why is it important? Koni is great...you won't be disappointed!
yep i think he might be right. i thought it was all oil

from koni's site

The twin-tube gas-hydraulic damper works in the same manner, but in addition to the oil, the reservoir is also filled with a quantity of gas. Thus, the interior of the damper is under a (relatively low) pressure.

King Luis
07-25-2006, 05:17 PM
charlie is saying my fronts are leaking :(

cisco911
07-25-2006, 05:19 PM
How old are they? Don't they have a really good warranty??? i think they can be sent in to be revalved. Is there anyone in the GTA that does revalving on racing shocks???

King Luis
07-25-2006, 05:38 PM
they are a bout a month or so old. they do have a good warrenty...problem is do i have to send them back and there for will not have any shocks in my car and that means it will be undriveable.
what some guys have said on r3v is that there is atf fluid in the shock housing that is used to cool down the stock oil shocks and that is what the oil could be.

don't know if thats true or not....i haven't noticed anything happend with the shocks though.

craz azn
07-25-2006, 06:20 PM
^^ my dad suggested I do that (put in some oil into the strut housing) echoing the r3v guys, its supposed to cool it down a hair, my dads like dunno if it actually does, but oil doesnt hurt it so why not put some in... so I did...

King Luis
07-25-2006, 07:06 PM
but did it look like the shocks were leaking after?

paul christians
07-25-2006, 07:21 PM
did you do the brake in frist before ajusting them??????it is like braking in a new cluch 500 to 700 kms....

King Luis
07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
i never adjusted the fronts yet.
but i was taking it easy the first few tanks of gas.

craz azn
07-25-2006, 10:06 PM
No, mine are as dry as anything, they don't leak a tad. I've driven on the new shocks for maybe a couple thousand kms already. I also noticed that they settled maybe a smidge lower (1/4"approx) than when first installed...

NOTORIOUS VR
07-25-2006, 10:10 PM
koni's have lifetime warranty... the problem is i think u have to wait for them to rebuild them.

Striker
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Luis this gives you an insight to the Koni shock design and how it functions http://www.koni-na.com/construction.html

Were you able to identify where the shocks were leaking from? It's really unususal that both are leaking at the same time, don't know if it's excess oil bypassed through the valve. I will speak with Koni again tomorrow and get you some information regarding this.

I am super busy, but please feel free to call anytime. I did speak with Koni today, but the person I wanted was out, will get in touch with him tomorrow and get you an update.

Thanks,

Raphael.

King Luis
07-25-2006, 10:47 PM
sorry, didn't have time to look at the shock, hopefully tomorrow i'll inspect it. thanks for helping me out, after driving it and trying to feel something out of the shocks, i don't notice anything weird, they react perfect.
if you get my answering machine, just leave a msg with all the info you got and i'll call you back, i may be really busy tomorrow.

thanks again for you help.

Striker
07-25-2006, 11:13 PM
No problem at all Luis, will call you tomorrow.

Raph.

PedroBMW
07-25-2006, 11:15 PM
dude this is what u do, I have a blown Koni on my GC coilovers too and I'm about to do this. You have 2 options:

1)contact koni and wait ****ing forever for them to recieve your strut and send u a new one. This is undesirable and makes your car undrivable, this is NOT what I am doing

2)Option 2 is contact ground control, this is what I have done. You send ground control a $100 deposit, they send u a new strut, you install the new strut and send your broken strut back to ground control, ground control sends it to Koni, once koni confirms that it was truly a warranty problem (not your fault from misuse or something) koni will let ground control know, at this point ground control will refund your $100 deposit, and they will recieve a new strut to replace in there warehouse because of the new one that they had given you earlier. Basically ground control will provide this a favour to there customers so that we dont have to go threw a couple months of koni BS and have no car.

King Luis
07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
i like option 2. keeps my car on the road and not sitting in the drive way.

PedroBMW
07-25-2006, 11:31 PM
i like option 2. keeps my car on the road and not sitting in the drive way.

yeah same here, thats why im doing it, call GC and they'll hook u up *th-up*

Mystikal
07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I was under the impression that Koni/GC will send you a new strut and you send them the old one, eliminating downtime.

Perhaps they changed their policy, but I know this was standard in the past.

King Luis
07-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I was under the impression that Koni/GC will send you a new strut and you send them the old one, eliminating downtime.

gotta stop living in the past :D put i hope its true.

also, my brother told me that "the fliud that was poured out was like water and not atf." "it seemed to be leaking around where the piston moves in the shock."
don't know if that means anything....i wish i can take a day off and inspect it my self. hopefully its nothing.

PedroBMW
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM

I only know what Ground Control told me over the phone, they said koni takes about 2 months and they don't give u a strut/shock they will just send yours back or a new one when its fixed, GC will provide u a new strut/shock from their own stock and then when koni finally (after two months or so) sends back a new strut, GC will keep this one. This is a service that ground control provides to eleimnate downtime for their customers, however like I said they require 100 bones a deposit,

cisco911
07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
what I would like to know is how your Koni went bad so quick....They make a great product and I have never heard of people having issues with them this early. Usually its a couple of years down the road that the Koni's need revalving!

PedroBMW
07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
yeah man, thats weird, did u remove ur bumpstops or something so the strut bottomed out?

King Luis
07-26-2006, 11:45 AM
i was shocked when i heard they were leaking too. thats why i'm skeptical if they actually are leaking or its something else.
they bottomed out twice on the 427, i had a few people in the car and it was one of those quick elevation changes. other then that, i've taken it easy with the car and never caused any damage to it.