PDA

View Full Version : good idea/bad idea?

kapt_krickee
07-14-2006, 08:18 PM
tempted to bid on this e30...(since I missed out on jordans)
whaddu guys think? yay or nay?

anybody know anything about this car personally?? thnx!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30-Supercharged-S50-engine-swap-one-of-a-kind_W0QQitemZ130006377613QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6007Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

static
07-14-2006, 09:33 PM
nice except for the front (oogly IMO)

bet the reserve is set at around $15K

i didn't know this motor with only 6psi gives close to 400hp

e30_kid89
07-14-2006, 09:44 PM
nice except for the front (oogly IMO)

bet the reserve is set at around $15K

i didn't know this motor with only 6psi gives close to 400hp
getting ideas????:D

kapt_krickee
07-14-2006, 09:51 PM
I totally agree about the front bumper, but I have one to replace that one in my garage

does anybody know about swaps like these? is the motor too heavy up front? I know it'll be fine for straight line..but I don't want to give up too much in the bends...

d.maczko
07-14-2006, 09:55 PM
hah i know this guy, hes a local.

i talked to him at that show and he said he wasnt selling, very strange.

static
07-15-2006, 09:49 AM
does anybody know about swaps like these? is the motor too heavy up front? I know it'll be fine for straight line..but I don't want to give up too much in the bends...

I have one of those motors in mine and it's supposed to be 50lb heavier than the stock m20. m20 powered e30 are also not 50/50 distribution (like 318 or m3 for example). So the only reasonable thing to do is to lighten the nose. Also the problem with I6 in e30s is the fact that 2 front cylinders are sticking out past the front axel - which is already bad for handling.

removing AC should yield 50-60lb loss, FG or CF hood should shave another ~50lb
after this you should be good (not sure how heavy the SC is)
Otherwise, the car should handle quite good

before buying the car you should thorowly inspect the quality of paintwork and amount of rust under the bodykit (many times those plastics conseal vast amounts of rust), second you should find a mechanic who understands these engines/swaps so he can tell if everything was done properly. Also don;t forget to lift the carpets (rust could be there too)

Also if you want to really be putting these 400hp on the pavement, you would need to reinforce E30 chassis and drivetrain (read: cage, seamwelding maybe, stronger mounts everywhere) otherwise you run the risk of bending frame and tearing stuff apart.
I would say that around 300hp (forum info) is the practical limit for a relatively stock (no serious upgrades like a cage) e30

Alex

Jordan
07-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Drivetrain is nice.

Entire body of car is yucky.

It's also a Canadian car with 316k on it, so you know its gonna have rust

"12000k HID's projector headlights" - HAHAHAHhahhahahah.... Nothing like deep purple headlights.

Auction itself is very poor. I think part of the reason I had so much response over my cars sale (the car itself aside) was my excellent presentation.

d.maczko
07-15-2006, 03:28 PM
jordan, i know this guys car, it has zero rust. car is mint, the only thing i would change is the tint and front bumper, car runs strong and pulls HARD, as he stated he can take Z06's easily. the presentation of the auction shouldnt really matter, the product itself should stand out for itself.

this guys car has one of the nicest engine bays ive seen in a long time.

im still blown away why hes selling.

bmwm5lover
07-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Bleh. Wouldn;t pay more than 4K for that car, albeith the Driveterrain.

Jordan
07-15-2006, 06:59 PM
jordan, i know this guys car, it has zero rust. car is mint, the only thing i would change is the tint and front bumper, car runs strong and pulls HARD, as he stated he can take Z06's easily. the presentation of the auction shouldnt really matter, the product itself should stand out for itself.

this guys car has one of the nicest engine bays ive seen in a long time.

im still blown away why hes selling.

This is the internet, people want pictures not cellphone camera postage stamps. Careful presentation goes a long ways.
When buying something over the net you have 2 things to go on. The sellers words, and high resolution pictures.
Words are often worthless, but in most cases pictures just do not lie.

Did you see my e30's auction listing?

I got (I counted) over 30 emails etc simply to comment on how well put together the listing was. My e30 also sold for $16,500 and I have no doubt in my mind had I held out a bit longer I could have sold it into the 18's.

kapt_krickee
07-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I loved Jordans' ebay presentation, I agree 100% man. I emailed this guy for more pics and he declined, saying he has a crappy camera..and that the pics in the auction are from a photographer...?..!...hmm..wouldn't they be high rez? If you're not willing to put in some effort on your car sale-wth?

his disclaimer makes me iffy as well..it basically says that he's not responsible for completely lying about the car...

anyways, I'm not convinced..and will probably stay away.

who bought your car Jordan? i'm gonna go steal it:D

haha..kidding...I think...

maniacmatt
07-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I have also seen this car in person, and helped the owner wrench on it.

All i can say is that no expense has been spared with this car. Everything on it is top notch!

The car itself is mint, The only thing i have ever noticed is that the paint is a little funky at the very bottom of the rear valence. Everything else on this car however is mint! It was recently re-painted, Clutch is new, tranny was just rebuilt, all brakes and bushings are new, New 245 tires in the back, not to mention the supercharger is brand new less than 5000 kilometers on it.

I myself cannot understand why he is selling it, especially with the amount of time and money that was put into this car recently.

kapt_krickee
07-15-2006, 08:02 PM
found this one too..think I saw it in a forum as well..just can't remember if it was this one or not:P

http://www.trader.ca/search/Results.asp?BFROM=1&BAD=N&BPRICE=N&BTYPE=B&BCAT=1&BOREGION=-1&BYEAR1=1987&BYEAR2=1991&BPRICE1=21000&BPRICE2=22900&BKEYWORD=&BMAKE=688&BMODEL=&category=1&region=-1&makeid=688&adcopy=&multiphoto=N&SortBy=askprice&SortOrder=d&DisplayType=pictures&DisplayRowCount=48&mknm=688&mdnm=&subcategory=&CAT=1

should I start a new thread or can it stay here?

and..thoughts on this one?? I personally think its priced too high at $21500CDN or 19,050.99 USD(approx)-for you south of the border;)

(I prefer the silver to the red for colour choice)

Quack
07-15-2006, 08:31 PM
^^^ that's Raffa's car, he's on this board, seen this car in person, it's in mint shape, a lot of custom work has been done to this car just to put the S38 motor in with the tranny as well.

punnzzells
07-15-2006, 09:39 PM
kapt krickee

you have a pm.

BMW325BMW
07-16-2006, 02:53 AM
found this one too..think I saw it in a forum as well..just can't remember if it was this one or not:P

http://www.trader.ca/search/Results.asp?BFROM=1&BAD=N&BPRICE=N&BTYPE=B&BCAT=1&BOREGION=-1&BYEAR1=1987&BYEAR2=1991&BPRICE1=21000&BPRICE2=22900&BKEYWORD=&BMAKE=688&BMODEL=&category=1&region=-1&makeid=688&adcopy=&multiphoto=N&SortBy=askprice&SortOrder=d&DisplayType=pictures&DisplayRowCount=48&mknm=688&mdnm=&subcategory=&CAT=1

should I start a new thread or can it stay here?

and..thoughts on this one?? I personally think its priced too high at $21500CDN or 19,050.99 USD(approx)-for you south of the border;)

(I prefer the silver to the red for colour choice)

wow!! did he ever come down in price. this car was in the $30 000 range last i saw it. Beautiful car, i must say