PDA

View Full Version : water on driverside floor and weird lighting problems

89bmw325ikid
07-13-2006, 06:43 PM
ok so everytime after it rains i have a ton of water on the driverside floor. along with that, my left blinker stays solid, the inspection light and brake pad warning light stay on and a few of the green lights come on. also all my brake lights in the rear come on. im pretty sure the two things are related but could anyone point me in the right direction? where could the water be coming from? my sunroof does not leak(tested when i got the car with a hose and also a touchless carwash from my work, delta sonic) are there any common places that water gets in on the e30's? any help is appreciated....Nick

everlast
07-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Does the water come in only when you drive, or just sitting there?

- blinker = flasher unit. replace or open it up and resolder all the joints (usually fixes it. its in your steering column, consult haynes / bentley
- inspection light - short two pins in the access panel under the hood to rid this. search the forum for instructions, its easy and you only need a paperclip.
- brake pad warning - replace pads, or possibly the sensors are not functioning right, in which case remove the bulb from the dash :D
- brake lights - could be the switch by your foot sticking on (easy to check with a multimeter, fix by soaking in contact cleaner, let dry) or a bulb may have a short in it, powering the brake lights from a taillight element (only if the lights come on with the taillights). probably the switch.

water could come in the floor, the door, around the console (though that would be odd).. lots of places. worst case scenario (but probably a good idea anyway) would be to pull the seats, pull the carpet out, let it dry, and inspect the floor. apply some rust oil to the floor when the carpet is out for good measure.

good luck.

89bmw325ikid
07-13-2006, 07:32 PM
well all these things are related in one way...everything happens only when it rains. there is a connection here and im searching for it. maybe water in a connection somewhere?

89bmw325ikid
07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
still going on, any ideas? someone on another forum suggested that it mite be my sunroof drains and my firewall. does anyone know where the drains run?

qimis
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
same problem here! *wave*

89bmw325ikid
07-31-2006, 11:42 AM
good so i guess its not just my POS :) not really a pos just very aggrevating sometimes

Slowered318
08-01-2006, 02:55 AM
How much water and where? are you sure it's not coolant?

BMW BMXer
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
My blinkers are weird too...

doesnt depend on the weather though.

89bmw325ikid
08-02-2006, 09:40 AM
slowerd~ alot of water, when i step on the carpet it comes up and my shoes get wet...and they are brand new shoes too :) and its pretty much the whole driverside floor, front and back and yes im sure its not coolant. my coolant isnt low and its only there after it rains

T.Dot_E30
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Rip the carpet out and hope for the best.

bmdoubleya
08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Well places I found water getting in..

Hole in my firewall passenger side.. i've seens e30 with holes under the clutch pedal..

I have holes in my rear wheels wells that spray water in when driving..

could be your drain hose clogged on the enging bay side of the firewall..

window seals..

Or just holes in the floor..

Luke318is
08-03-2006, 04:10 AM
did ya figure it out? im curious...im guessing rust hole under carpet.

89bmw325ikid
08-03-2006, 12:46 PM
i didnt pull the carpet but from looking underneath i see no rust at all. i am currently getting all the supplies to re-wire the entire car so these problems should be kicked to the curb

David Ryan
08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Have you checked the front left roof drain?
its in the roof gutter just ahead of the door
gets clogged creates havoc on electricals

Have you looked at the multi point plug in the door frame
It becomes corroded and sometimes a careful cleaning works wonders

someone mentioned holes
and E30's do develop holes in the left bottom front floor on either side
For the driver its right behind the 'dead peddle'
but i don't think there are wires down there

Jase
08-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Check for a hole in the floor. circle plugs that are on the floor tend to rust out. plus check just under behind the brake booster. I found a hole ther which caused tons of electrical issues

good luck
Jase

qimis
08-08-2006, 12:26 AM
The water on the rear floor it's from the front because of the driving. Have you found any luck w/ this water problem?

89bmw325ikid
08-08-2006, 12:36 AM
nope. im re-wiring my whole car in a week so when i rip out the dash(being carefull not to rip it because ive heard a dash with out tears or cracks is hard to come by) im going to have someone sit in the car while i spray the car with a hose. hopefully they will be able to see where its coming in from. wish me luck :)

vdubbedgti
08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
I have the exact same problem. I pulled out the carpet let it dry out, welded the few holes, sparyed tremcald and thought the problem was fixed. I didnt even drive it, but left it outside in the driveway in the rain and now the under padding is pretty wet. I guess ill check the above like drainage. sunroof doesnt leak, so my guess is maybe the firewall?

and good luck with ripping everything out.

89bmw325ikid
08-23-2006, 11:58 PM
well wired up the new fusebox and everything works great now. and while i was in the process i found my leak....a large hole underneath the fusebox going right into the cockpit :( so im going to slap some fibreglass mesh on there and patch that baby up and hopefully my water-woes will be gone

everlast
08-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Great to hear an e30 success story, congrats.

vdubbedgti
08-24-2006, 08:31 AM
sweet i'll have to check that out on mine

89bmw325ikid
08-25-2006, 12:41 AM
heh a small success story but one nonetheless. next step: replace that damn ignition switch

btw ive never posted pics so lemme give it a try... these are pics from the seller i bought it from

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/OApb/IM000307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/OApb/bimmer.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/OApb/IM000310.jpg

vdubbedgti
09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
How did you remove the fuse box?