PDA

View Full Version : e30 carpet options?

Darren
07-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Which option should I go with?
I'm thinking 'B', but I don't know the best method.

A) BUY NEW CARPET:
Buy an aftermarket moulded black carpet from 'New Image' for $300. (The carpet is from 'Auto Custom Carpet Inc.' and I've heard the quality is not like BMW OEM)

B) CLEAN/DYE EXISTING CARPET:
Clean my existing OEM blue carpet and then dye it black. What is the process, or is there anyone who does this?
-How do I clean it (chemicals/products, steam clean) ?
-How do I dye it (dye, fabric paint spray) ?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

everlast
07-13-2006, 01:09 AM
I 'dyed' my carpet in my winter beater with canadian tire fabric spray dye, in a spray can. It took 2 cans, but if I did it again i'd get three to be safe.

I used a bissell (sp?) heated wet vac to clean the carpet, let it dry for a day or two, then used orange degreaser on some tough spots, but that wasn't necessary. The spots I couldn't get out got painted right over. Just make sure there is no salt ground in and you should be golden.

FYI, the carpet came out looking like da bomb, seriously. I couldn't believe it. No color transfer after either. Other than the salt stains on it now, it looks great, and nice and dark.

everlast
07-13-2006, 01:09 AM
BTW, i've often wondered if I could do the same thing to the head liner. I'm simply not brave enough.

ZiMMie
07-13-2006, 01:16 AM
^ u have any pics of it?

Slowered318
07-13-2006, 02:42 AM
I have a used carpet in "like new" condition.. Medium grey, plush and ready to install.

I would strongly recommend you don't go with option "A" as I have been down that road before and lost quite a bit of money.

Let me know if you're interested.

X2theZ3
07-13-2006, 03:11 AM
most aftermarket carpets are crap.

everlast
07-13-2006, 03:47 AM
^ u have any pics of it?

I didn't take any when it was new, but maybe a good old pic is better since it would show the real appearance later on.. I'll snap one tomorrow for you guys.

Eurostyle
07-13-2006, 04:37 AM
I have a used carpet in "like new" condition.. Medium grey, plush and ready to install.

I would strongly recommend you don't go with option "A" as I have been down that road before and lost quite a bit of money.

Let me know if you're interested.

I have a buyer for E30 carpet!!! Let me know how much you want so i can pass along the info...ASAP as i'll be gone soon!:D

jeremy
07-13-2006, 08:56 AM
rip it out and line x the floors :)