PDA

View Full Version : '84 318i won't rev past 1500

Bandi
07-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Title says it all... feels like it's hitting a rev limiter when I get there. IAC is ok, AFM is okay, tried bumping the ECU around a bit (I've seen the cold solder joints screw up in a few Carerras before).... car seems to want to rev higher if I unhook the beige temp sensor, but it misfires badly when I do this.

It was initally just doing this when I hit a bump, now it won't fix itself.

(edit: upon further investigation... looks like I'm losing injector pulse, if this helps any.)

Any suggestions? Please?!

Jordan
07-05-2006, 07:22 PM
timing.

Bandi
07-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Timing is dead on... I was thinking, I guess unhooking the temp sensor would simulate a cold engine, so it's just getting raw fuel from the cold start injector, thus letting it rev.

NOTORIOUS VR
07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Have u checked u'r ignition system? like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, etc?

when u pull the plugs, what do they look like? do all 4 look similar? or are there a few that are maybe wet, or some that are black, and other's white or gold?

Jordan
07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Have you had the distributor out lately? Sure you didn't put it back in 180 out?

Bandi
07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Have you had the distributor out lately? Sure you didn't put it back in 180 out?

I haven't but the previous owner did... I actually took it out again and re-indexed it, but it didn't seem to make any difference. (Even tried spinning it 180, but the car ran worse)
I'm actually kind of leaning towards a broken wire... in the pick up or something... simply because if I hit a bump, the car will start acting up. The other day, I drove the thing almost 500 miles without a problem, and then turning on to my road, hit a bump and the car started acting up again.

And maybe I'm nuts, but it seems to me that if I leave the car in the hot sun all day, it'll be fine.

And yes, I've checked plugs & wires, cap & rotor... but when I had a noid light hooked up to the injector harness, it was definitely the injectors cutting out... the light would get really bright and then turn off completely, ignition stays strong when the car is gimping.

Bandi
07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
BTW Jordan... love the new ride.

Now... think you can convince Misty to pose on my '72 2002?