PDA

View Full Version : M30 AFM & E36 steering rack headaches...............

Magic_Black
07-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I decided to install an e36 steering rack and M30 AFM into my e30 this past week. (Note: to anyone doing these swaps, they aren't as easy as everyone may say it is.) after going through an entire week of stressing to complete these two projects on my E30, i finally completed both projects and had high hopes that they both would of turned out well.....

Unfortunatley i was wrong.

I think i messed up the E36 steering rack high pressure PS line, i bent it every which way to fit it and after being so fatigued by it, i think i bent it a little too much and know there are two kinks in the pipe at both ends of the high pressure PS line. So if anyone has a spare E36 High pressure PS line they are willing to sell, please let me know ASAP!!!

With the M30 AFM, i did the swap correctly and reused my stock airbox, but not until a few minutes ago did i realize i was supposed to also swap the M#) electronics with the M20 electronics. That may be the problem and the reason why my e30 is not idiling properly and the check engine lights comes on after 25 seconds or so after i take my foot off the accelerator.

Anywayz if anyone can help me out with my situation and/or give some advice please let me know.............

Jordan
07-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Just because you have no freaking clue what you are doing doesn't mean its hard. Maybe "everyone" that says its easy just knows how to do it right?

I've done both of those swaps many times without any issues, and quickly at that...

NOTORIOUS VR
07-05-2006, 01:21 PM
^^^^ Shut up

Magic_Black try this link: http://www.davelength.net/car/bigsix.html

EDIT: btw, the M30 AFM with the part # that ends in 027 should be a direct plug an play unit.... others u'll have to do a board swap.

EDIT #2: I also have a plug and play M30 AFM FS here: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=835408#post835408

Euro_E30
07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
did you swap the M20 internals into the M30 AFM??

Mystikal
07-06-2006, 01:31 AM
1. You don't need to swap electronics.
2. You need to adjust the tension spring.

Magic_Black
07-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I have the M30 AFM that ends in part number 027. I didn't know all i had to do was just adjust the tension spring though.

I changed the M30 circuit board to the M20 one today, still wasn't idiling properly, so i did play around with tension spring until i got it to idle right. However, i had to set the metal which contacts with the circuit board a little high for the car to idle properly. Now if the car is turned off, from where that metal is set I can move it by hand and it will actually run off the circuit board at the other end of the circuit. Should i be worried about the contact running off the circuit board. If it does create a hassle, it will only take 5 mins to put back the M30 circuit board back in.

Euro_E30
07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
i did the complete swap from m20 to m30 without turning the spring at all, and my car runs mint.

Jordan
07-06-2006, 09:14 PM
NEVER adjust the tention spring. If you do you have ruined the laser trimmed calibration of the AFM unit.

And you screwed with the swing arm.. man you completely trashed the calibration of that AFM. Its junk now.

Magic_Black
07-07-2006, 01:39 AM
When i installed the M30 AFM with part number ending in 027 and started my car the car was NOT idling right. so explain what the problem would be?

Jordan
07-07-2006, 05:33 AM
Um.. the ECU doesn't magically adapt. Or that AFM is bad.

NOTORIOUS VR
07-07-2006, 01:06 PM
that is true... the ecu needs to compensate for the new AFM.. and it only does this over time... it won't happen right away.

Mystikal
07-07-2006, 07:13 PM
NEVER adjust the tention spring. If you do you have ruined the laser trimmed calibration of the AFM unit.

And you screwed with the swing arm.. man you completely trashed the calibration of that AFM. Its junk now.

I still refuse to believe that, although empirical evidence would change my stance quickly.

I have tried multiple 027 AFM's on my car (whose factory AFM has never been tampered with), and none of them would run right. After adjustment, they all do. And I'll be damned if my car is running with a "junk" AFM now, it's been great for months.

Mystikal
07-07-2006, 07:14 PM
that is true... the ecu needs to compensate for the new AFM.. and it only does this over time... it won't happen right away.

Motronic 1.3 doesn't adapt to anything, in modern terms of the word adapt. If something doesn't run right in the first 30 seconds of driving on an M20, it never will.

Jordan
07-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Mine idled like shit intially when I installed my 027 (pre HFM conversion) after some driving around it picked it up fine.

Do not mess with the spring tention and under not circumstances bend the swing arm left or right.

Mystikal
07-08-2006, 09:21 AM
All of the ones I tried would refuse to idle at first, so I drove around for quite a while manually idling with the throttle, and it still never fixed itself.

And I know one of them was never tampered with, I had one of your old "pals" at TSA get it for me with the factory sealing still present.

Luke318is
07-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Will this swap work with my engine? m42

Jordan
07-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Absolutely not.