PDA

View Full Version : ahhh yeaaaa!!!

craz azn
06-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Got me some new additions this weekend and finally wired them into my beater this afternoon... check the results... BTW it was worth the effort and $$ for the light difference, quite pleased

anyone interested in a set of US ellipsoids???:)

markw
06-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Looking good Rudy!

paul christians
06-28-2006, 01:55 AM
^^^yes looks better man..One thing thought are they up side down?????

markw
06-28-2006, 09:26 AM
^^^yes looks better man..One thing thought are they up side down?????

Nope, they have a "driving light" on the top, as you can kinda see here

http://www.m-technik.com/ebay/Hella4.jpg
http://www.gashaponusa.com/AUCTION/ACE/EURO_HEADLIGHTS_BMW_E30_05.jpg

T.Dot_E30
06-28-2006, 10:34 AM
sweet are yours smoked?

Mitch Fong
06-28-2006, 10:48 AM
cool, how much you want for your us ellips?

craz azn
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
unfortunatly not smoked, but in the dark the lows kinda looked smoked....sweet *wiggle*

as for my old lights, I think 100$ for the set is fair. one high beam is cracked... but the others are in very good condition. the two lows are awesome, hardly pitted...

static
06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
dibbs on the US ellips, providing the low beams are in immaculate shape (PM'ed)

everlast
06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I think those are called city lights.. They're meant to be left on at the side of the road on the little narrow streets of europe at night so people don't run into your car.

As for the US ellips, if anyone has them and wants better light output, try fitting some 9005 highbeams by cutting / filing the tabs down. They are only 10 watts hotter, but the lack of a black covering on them makes for an unbelievable difference in light output. They have a shorter life too, but heck, I think the whole car has a shorter life with the factory US ellips.. they're dangerous!

static
06-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I think the whole car has a shorter life with the factory US ellips.. they're dangerous!

then the car life with sealed lights would be 3-4 times shorter

currently i have just 1 low beam US ellips and it's muuch brighter than my sealed ever were.

paul christians
06-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Nope, they have a "driving light" on the top, as you can kinda see here

http://www.m-technik.com/ebay/Hella4.jpg
http://www.gashaponusa.com/AUCTION/ACE/EURO_HEADLIGHTS_BMW_E30_05.jpg
that is cool man,they look upside down to me....*smoke*

Wannabe
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Paul thats a smiliey light.. The city light is on the top.

everlast
06-28-2006, 04:44 PM
My sealed beams are wicked in my eta.. i replaced them last year, so new glass and new technology halogen = good lights. Before my highbeam mod, my lows were so bad that I had to slow down at night on the highway. No kidding.

Wannabe
06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I have H4 conversion low beams and just the H1 Highs, apperently this is the second best setup other then Euro Elips / H1's

Bright as ****, and I love the fact that all Lights go on with the Highbeams

e30_kid89
06-28-2006, 06:56 PM
sexxxxxy euro ellips rudy........soon i will make my us ellips nice and very nice and bright:)

ara325
06-28-2006, 07:42 PM
gotta love the smiley's.*smoke*

Mystikal
06-28-2006, 09:29 PM
My sealed beams are wicked in my eta.. i replaced them last year, so new glass and new technology halogen = good lights. Before my highbeam mod, my lows were so bad that I had to slow down at night on the highway. No kidding.

I think you need to share which brand sealed beams you're using.

My old and pitted Hella H4's cracked last winter, so I bought some new sealed beams (Sylvania?) for the meantime and threw them in. The lighting was terrible, it's like mounting two flashlights on the front of the car; absolutely no breadth of beam.

Bought new Hella H4's, and it was like Paul Wall just smiled...instant daylight. Then I went HID, but that's for another thread.

everlast
06-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Uhmm.. maybe I've put the em-PHA-sis on the wrong si-LAH-bl.

I'm not saying my sealed are wonderful, just adequate. The US ellips were just that much poorer.

My wife's Mazda 3 has ellips with a similar design to the US ellip, and they are unbelievably good. They totally rival my 5er's HID (sniff).

I have a theory that I want to air, and perhaps try: i've had my ellips totally apart (to see if I could paint the chrome ring to make my own smoked). I noticed something perhaps important: the metal piece that provides the 'cutoff' sits in front of the light. It is below the beams path, then the glass ball flips the pattern, providing the cutoff. You can actually focus the sharpness of the cutoff by moving the metal piece.

Now, here is my point. The metal is some kind of tin material, almost reminding me of white metal. With age, it looked like it had dulled, but could likely be polished. In the state it was it (very dull and dark grey) the light hitting it would not reflect back into the assembly, but would simply heat up the metal.

I wonder if removing that piece, buffing the crap out of it to a nice gleam and replacing it would increase the lumen output of the headlamp. Unfortunately I don't know of any imperical way of measuring the light output, or I would try.

Ideas?

everlast
06-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Wow, I just read my own post. Da-yum, I'm a nerd.

T.Dot_E30
06-29-2006, 09:07 AM
everlast:
I added chrome tape inside my projectors, it made a difference.
I also faltened the cutoff.

BMW BMXer
06-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Pfff headlight upgrades.

everlast
06-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Pfff headlight upgrades.

Ya, seeing at night at highspeed on a twisty road is so rice.

Nascar318is
06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
My wife's

Hhahah Owned "wife"*uzi*

J/K Jay, congrats!!

Now you can come to the fall cruise:D

Sorry for being offtopic*shiner*

everlast
06-29-2006, 11:42 AM
:) I'm actually liking saying that. Its a lot shorter than girlfriend and easier to type. And I won't miss another cruise, evah.

T.Dot_E30
06-29-2006, 12:04 PM
I also wanted to add, Its not the US projectors that suck, its the 9006 bulb type, they all suck, none of the good bulbs are made in 9006.

Now if you could have stuck H1s in there, they'd be much better.

I took the more expensive way out and stuck HIDs in there.

everlast
06-29-2006, 12:12 PM
I can totally understand that.. the 9005 is much better. To make matters worse, the 9006 were GE (bad) and actually have a 51 Watt rating stamped on them.. underwatt?! Geeeeez.

static
06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
yea, i've seen Trev's hids, they look PIMP
I hope i will once finish my HID project

craz azn
06-29-2006, 04:17 PM
pic of one.... for those ppl interested...

BMW BMXer
06-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Ya, seeing at night at highspeed on a twisty road is so rice.

Exactly. I am swapping out my lights for some sticker lights tonight.

ara325
06-29-2006, 07:50 PM
I also wanted to add, Its not the US projectors that suck, its the 9006 bulb type, they all suck, none of the good bulbs are made in 9006.

Now if you could have stuck H1s in there, they'd be much better.

I took the more expensive way out and stuck HIDs in there.

What do you use for the foglights? Is there a big difference b/w the colour/tone of the HID's mixed with the Halogen fogs?

Mystikal
06-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Huge difference, ara. Your fogs become completely useless, really.

ara325
06-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Jay. That's pretty much why i've been holding off on the HID's. I love how my fogs fill in the sides where my smiley's don't really project. I've seen Lexus' with HID/Halogen and i'm really not crazy about it. What if you used a super bright bulb for the fogs (PIAA Extreme White...probably outdated now), would it make enough differene for a close match?

Mystikal
07-01-2006, 12:34 AM
But why would you care though? The HID's fill in everywhere including most of what the fogs did, so I'm not sure why you'd hold off because of that.

I mean, you could easily just turn them on anyways for looks or whatever.

ara325
07-01-2006, 10:58 AM
But why would you care though? The HID's fill in everywhere including most of what the fogs did, so I'm not sure why you'd hold off because of that.

I mean, you could easily just turn them on anyways for looks or whatever.

But doesn't the projection depend on the lens rather than the intensity of the bulb?

T.Dot_E30
07-01-2006, 12:00 PM
But doesn't the projection depend on the lens rather than the intensity of the bulb?

Yes in theory, buy 9006 bulbs dont have enough intensity to fill anything, hid's make much better use of the projectors

ara325
07-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Yes in theory, buy 9006 bulbs dont have enough intensity to fill anything, hid's make much better use of the projectors

i c

dgmorr
07-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Don't forget that fogs are for people to see you, not really for you to see. ie. you don't want high intensity fog bulbs. But it sure does look cool.

Anyone have thoughts on yellow headlights? I hear they give a better contrast which can translate into better depth preception. Any of this true?